• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Over the Moon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
This is being way too charitable; it's assuming that it's completely impossible to do both

The person that you quoted did not assume that it is impossible to do both. He simply gave some possible reasons why Viz did not do both.

Quote:
If they expect it to be lucrative, why are they cutting corners?

Possibly to make it lucrative.
The less that they spend the higher their profit will be. We do not know what their profit margin is.

The only time that reduced expenses will hurt the company is if it results in a significant loss of sales. Viz apparently does not expect that to happen.
If they are wrong then they have a problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
The only time that reduced expenses will hurt the company is if it results in a significant loss of sales. Viz apparently does not expect that to happen.
If they are wrong then they have a problem.

The trouble is, how they handled this and the coverage it got, there's a very real risk it might affect sales of their other properties, pre-orders not least. If that happens, they will indeed have a problem...
AtoMan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
So they apparently aren't pillarboxing next set. Someone should make a custom mods using proper 4:3 masters and post on torrent sites so people could keep the pretty crap inside their shiny boxes and use the improved mods for watching. This is completely doable.

On the other hand, what about Ranma sets? They are ruined the same way...
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Censored manga (Bleach, Yu Yu, I''s Tenjo Tenge, Pokemon, Kinnikuman, Bokurano, countless others...)

The only significant censorship I remember seeing in Bokurano was minor cropping on a couple panels in chapter 12, which featured a intercourse between a middle-school girl and an older man. I'm surprised they left as much visible as they did.

Maybe it wasn't intentional? Maybe when the copy of the masters was being generated for Viz, they handed the job off to the new guy in the office, and he hadn't yet been trained on the software/processes? Maybe when Viz asked for new materials, Toei responded by saying "You'll use what we gave you," and couldn't bother spending the time or money to redo that work? Or maybe they got materials meant for a PAL encode, and just had to do what they could to make it work for NTSC setups?

The news from Mexico might not agree with that theory, though.
Norbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:23 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
ReddiShadow wrote:
With that wider, casual audience comes very different expectations and demands. While you or I might want to watch media in their intended aspect ratio without having characters' heads chopped out of frame or have the entire experience reduced to a series of awkward close ups, to Joe and Jo-Ann Public a crappy image that fills the screen is preferable to a good image with black bars on the sides of the screen (apparently horizontal bars for big blockbusters is fine, but vertical bars? Unacceptable, and must be "fixed" by stretching the image out so it looks like complete shit).
Which only makes the pillarboxed DVDs look even dumber, since you can't stretch an already-16:9 pillarboxed image to make the 4:3 area of actual video fill the entire screen. "Let's appeal to casual viewers by preventing casual viewers from watching the way they want to!" Unless there's some kind of "zoom-stretch" feature that I don't know about; I know my TV doesn't have one, but I don't have any Blu-Rays of 4:3 shows to check.

Try checking with a 4x3 DVD.

Now as I understand, "pillarboxing" adds small bars around the whole picture - top and bottom. Yes? Also, this was used to get around the whole issue of overscan. My 5 year old LG tv unfortunately has overscan that can't be fixed so maybe they are thinking that people who buy DVDs have older Tvs with overscan, and they didn't want anyone to miss out on the full picture so they pillarboxed the DVD?

Recently I've noticed on forums people stating that if "X" company knew they had a dud master they shouldnt be releasing said show. That's a bit selfish, isn't it? Why should I miss out on something just because YOU aren't happy with something.

I'm also wondering in regards to this Sailor Moon transfer... If post processing in the problem, why don't we see these issues across the whole show but only in increments?
Norbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:27 am Reply with quote
katscradle wrote:
Quote:
12:33 Julie McDonald:

Am I thrilled it’s on Blu-ray, at all? Yes I’m completely thrilled. I love it. I (laughs) these issues don’t trouble me in that way because I don’t consider them to be, any in any way, ah, making the product in any way less. I, I know the love and care that we put into it so, am I happy with it? I am happy with it.

(Apologies if I misheard or the punctuation is weird.)

I listened to this part over and over again trying to understand it

The issues are not ruining the enjoyment of the show for her.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:39 am Reply with quote
Norbie wrote:
Now as I understand, "pillarboxing" adds small bars around the whole picture - top and bottom. Yes?

That's "windowboxing." "Pillarboxing" is bars added to the left and right, and "letterboxing" is adding bars to the top and bottom.
streexanime

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Do they usually not do transcripts for these things?
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
streexanime wrote:
Do they usually not do transcripts for these things?

AFAIK they've never done transcripts for ANN Cast.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Definitely an interesting ANNCast. I am not a huge videophile but I think I'm going to wait a bit and see if Viz ends up changing their tune.

One thing that I do think sounds somewhat plausible is the fact that the masters for the next season could be better. Heck, Sailor Stars looks a lot better than the initial season before anything even gets done to it, so it could be significantly better.

I think I'll probably finally track down the last disc I'm missing for the singles release of S though.

But all and all, I am not super thrilled with Viz's handling of anime. Their manga division is great but between these issues and the weird name thing in Honey and Clover (translating the script so that the characters use each other's given name when almost no one actually does this in the Japanese track), they definitely are the one company whose releases I am not leery of.
wastrel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Wow. What a series of unfortunate events.

I know I'm taking this less seriously than a lot of folks, but being a Sailor Moon fan back in the days when a thrice-copied VHS tape of a fansub was the best anyone could get of Sailor Moon, I guess I have a lower standard than most. Or perhaps I'm just used to Sailor Moon being treated like crap in North America by almost all companies involved.

From the stories and info gathered thus far, I'd bet Toei gave Viz the crappy version of the masters, and when (or if) Viz realized this, I bet Viz was forced contractually to use it, or walk away from the whole project. I suspect this because Toei has always seemed to hate North American anime fans, particularly Sailor Moon fans. Or at least their actions are consistent with their hating us.

Yes, then Viz proceeded to make things worse by not doing the video job as well as it could be done. There really isn't an excuse for that.

Of course I realize that when it comes to being a North American fan of Sailor Moon, it's like being in an abusive relationship. I expect to get hit upside the head by this point.

But I'm going to keep buying Viz's releases. Because the DVD-R version of Sailor Stars that I burned from fansubs years and years ago are not going to last much longer, and I want an official English language release of Sailor Stars, damn it. I can always keep my copies of ADV's season 1 and 2, and Pioneer's season 3 and 4, even if Viz doesn't raise the quality.
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Give your honest (politely worded) thoughts via VIZ's survey here: https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/534780213524058112 I made sure to.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Thanks. Now I have too.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:35 am Reply with quote
You know I was concerned for a moment there, but then I heard that the folks at Viz Media are like, video passion on steroids. Now, I'm convinced some of their best friends are blu-ray transfers. Very Happy
Arsenette

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:51 am Reply with quote
Just listened about halfway and had to stop. My God these women were condescending.. I give massive Kudos to Zac for not wavering and sticking to the questions no matter how canned their responses were. I don't even watch Sailor Moon but know it's place in history. Man that was rough. Also explains why I have never bought a Viz video.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8