• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Attack on Titan Films' Eren, Mikasa, 11 Others Unveiled in Costume

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Who? RPGs? What? I'm at a loss for words except that the costumes look excellent and actors are groomed to fit who they are portraying.
Marzan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Some things should just stay in 2D to be honest.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
So...I guess Mikasa is no longer the only Asian in the world now?
Ulinox

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Yeah these live-action movies from Japan are horrendous. Last ones I saw that were barely passable was 20th Century Boys.
Waraich

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
What hte fudge is up with the RPGs.. wasnt the whole point of them using swords because the technology like that was lost?
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I think the only good shounen live-adaptation was Rurouni Kenshin.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that the source material notes that Mikasa is the only Asian character amongst the significant cast members?

Also, I did notice one thing about the cast: spoiler[none of the characters who are Titan shifters are featured. Could that mean that they won't be in the movies?].

And if Hanji has a freakin' RPG, then why the hell are the others still using swords?

Last edited by Ryu Shoji on Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Yup. This looks preeeetty bad. I'll pass. I'd rather watch the compilation movies when they're out... which is exactly what I'm going to do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Those asking about RPGs - we've seen multiple times in the show that gun technology exists (rifles and shotguns used in the Battle of Trost, flare guns, and of course the cannons mounted on the walls). Characters use swords because those are the only things able to effectively target a Titan's vulnerability - even cannons just make them start regenerating. At least, that's the argument we're given early in the story...
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the source material notes that Mikasa is the only Asian character amongst the significant cast members?

People get over this trivia ok? It worked for the anime but would not work for the live action version. And if you start asking yourself why, just pause, reflect and reevaluate...
navycherub

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The cast includes seven characters that are new to the film versions of the story. Sanspo reports that Hasegawa's character Shikishima holds the key to the film's story as "humanity's strongest man."

RIP Levi.

I'm not one to care or complain about fidelity so I will be looking forward to these movies with an open mind.
sdsichero
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
aiya. This looks... bad.

Also looks more WWI than what I imagined AoT's world would look like.

Well, hopefully it plays out better than it looks.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
So judging by the backgrounds and the RPG Hanji is holding, these movies are going to take place in more of a modern setting instead of the 18th century European setting from the manga/anime?

Not an improvement imo, but I'm not sure what I was expecting considering this was a Japanese live-action adaptation.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
People complaining about the (lack of) white washing and the RPG, guys they had rifles and cannons in the series, this was probably something done just for the photo op to show how different Hanji was from the rest of them. As for their race, did you really expect the movie to be people of other races speaking broken Japnese (yes, the movie's in Japanese, just like the anime). At least they all relatively look like their characters even though it explicitly states they weren't paying attention to that (although that Jean is a little...eh. And all Armin has to do is due his hair and he'd be fine but no...)

I'm more worried about what they're doing with these new characters and where the missing ones are, like the rest of the 104th too ten and the Survey Corps. Wasn't original characters one of the huge issues people had with LA films in a poll a while back?
momopeach

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I knew Miura was going to be Eren, but had no idea that Kiko or Satomi would be in it. I don't like Attack on Titan, but I kind of want to watch it now because of the cast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7