• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Acquires Makoto Shinkai's 5cm Per Second

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:04 am Reply with quote
Can I get a hell yes?

ICv2 News wrote:
ADV Films has confirmed to ICv2 the acquisition of the rights to Makoto Shinkai's 5cm Per Second: A Chain of Short Stories About Their Distance, which debuted in Japan on March 3, 2007. ADV's Chris Oarr told ICv2 that ADV does plan to release 5cm Per Second theatrically before the DVD is released in December. Certainly 5cm Per Second did well with hardcore anime fans in Japan lined up hours before the first showing of the film at a theater in Shibuya. Director Shinkai, who leapt to prominence with his home-made (on his Apple computer) OVA, Voices of a Distant Star in 2002, has developed a devoted following in both Japan and the U.S. thanks to a lyrical and poetic visual style that perfectly complements his overriding themes of isolation and loneliness -- themes that clearly resonate with otaku.

ADV has released both Voices of a Distant Star and Shinkai's feature length follow-up, The Place Promised In Our Early Days, both of which can be classified as poetic science fiction. In spite of its scientific sounding title, 5cm Per Second is a contemporary relationship story, or rather three of them -- separate vignettes from the life of Takaki Tohno. In the first story, "A Tale of Cherry Blossoms," which takes place during Takaki's grade school years, he forms a close relationship with Akari Shinohara, only to have her move away with her family when he enters junior high. The second story "Cosmonaut" is set at Tanegashima, the seat of Japan's Space Agency during Takaki's high school years, when a shy classmate has a crush on him, but refuses to act on it. The third story "5cm Per Second" takes place in the present during Takaki's adult years and ends with a fleeting encounter with a woman from his past.

Although in 5cm Per Second (as in The Place Promised In Our Early Days), Shinkai worked with a full team of animators rather than by himself, the look of the film remains intensely personal thanks to his striking compositions and painterly use of light. Although he may not have reached the stratospheric level of Hayao Miyazaki yet, Shinkai, like Satoshi Kon, is a true anime auteur with an easily recognized visual style and recurrent themes that make his films truly distinctive.

And so we have a theatrical and DVD release announced for 5 Centimeters per Second. I'm so happy that I won't even be touching the fansubs until then.

Now if only ADV would license Pale Cocoon...

[EDIT: Merged the thread from the Anime forum. -TK]
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:27 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Can I get a hell yes?

I don't see why not... put me down for one Anime smile + sweatdrop .

I think we all pretty much knew that this was just a matter of time, but it's good to hear nonetheless.
While I'm not expecting anything breathtakingly original in terms of the story I'm sure the animation will be as awesome as always. It'll also be interesting to see if Shinkai's progressed as a director since The place promised.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:35 am Reply with quote
I've said it before and I'll say it again: "hell yeah!" I've been eagerly anticipating this one for at least around a year now probably and I'm super excited. It's hard for me to contain my urge to want things like this "now", but I can get by if I don't think about them too often.

I love Shinkai's style, and he's really the only one who's made me think "Who the heck made this?! I have to know!" Check out my post in that thread from 6 months ago for what I concede is a much better description.

I'll see it if it comes out in theatres here, and/or (probably and Anime catgrin ) I'll buy it when it's released on DVD (for the record, buying things I haven't seen is extremely rare for me, as I've only done it thrice).

I'm also with you on the Pale Cocoon. That was an amazing OVA as well imo. It did suffer a little at the end... but overall I was truly impressed. Maybe I'll go watch that again right now Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:42 am Reply with quote
I loooooved this movie and it was totally worth the trek from Kanagawa to Shibuya to see it. It was the last showing though so I couldn't make my friends go watch it after I saw it..

Most definitely picking this up when I come back.
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:44 am Reply with quote
I consider it good as bought.

I also remember ADV spanning out into theaters... for the love of God, let this be one they want to use.

Shinkai = pwnage. Well done, ADV. You're really kicking ass this year and it's not even AX yet!
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:02 am Reply with quote
Pale Cocoon's licensing should, I would think, be inevitable. It's exceptionally well-made, it's short enough that the license shouldn't be expensive, and its hard-sci fi feel should ensure that it will generate enough interest for the license to be worthwhile. And a precedent for it has has already been set by Voices of a Distant Star.

Unfortunately it doesn't have near the word-of-mouth reputation that VODS does, and a company may be leery of licensing it without some significant add-on to put with it. (VODS did have the short She and Her Cat and the alternate Japanese language track featuring the director and his wife-to-be, for instance.)

As for 5 cm, I've liked Shinkai's previous two works so I would certainly see this one, too. And there are art house theaters in my area. . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dop.L

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:06 am Reply with quote
Excellent news. I was hoping this would get licensed shortly what I've seen of it is absolutely spectacular.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:14 am Reply with quote
Not surprised that ADV got this, since they licensed his other two. Still, great news all the same. I'll surely be buying this one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calculusman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:23 am Reply with quote
This is cool news. I haven't seen 5cm Per Second yet, though I did love The Place Promised in Our Early Days. I'm just wondering why ADV couldn't have sat on it for a week an announced at AX. I mean, I'm not going to AX, but why make a significance announcement about a new license a week before a big convention?
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:36 am Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:
This is cool news. I haven't seen 5cm Per Second yet, though I did love The Place Promised in Our Early Days. I'm just wondering why ADV couldn't have sat on it for a week an announced at AX. I mean, I'm not going to AX, but why make a significance announcement about a new license a week before a big convention?
Maybe they've got something even bigger planned for AX?

This news is great, no questioning that. I loved The Place Promised in Our Early Days and Voices of a Distant Star made me cry, which isn't too easy. Both were fantastic and personally I though ADV did a great job with them. I wish the'd done something more than a paper cover sleeve for that dual release but, hey, at least they actually released them English dubbed and packed with extras!

I was especially thankful for the casting in The Place Promised in Our Early Days. Jessica Boone was amazing in it IMHO.

I'm eagerly anticipating getting Shinkai's latests since I've heard good things about it and so far, I've liked everything I've seen of his.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:40 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Calculusman wrote:
Maybe they've got something even bigger planned for AX?

This news is great, no questioning that. I loved The Place Promised in Our Early Days and Voices of a Distant Star made me cry, which isn't too easy. Both were fantastic and personally I though ADV did a great job with them. I wish the'd done something more than a paper cover sleeve for that dual release but, hey, at least they actually released them English dubbed and packed with extras!

I was especially thankful for the casting in The Place Promised in Our Early Days. Jessica Boone was amazing in it IMHO.

I'm eagerly anticipating getting Shinkai's latests since I've heard good things about it and so far, I've liked everything I've seen of his.

Something bigger at AX hm? It wouldn't be spoiler[Kanon] would it? Though since I'm going to Otakon, if they announce that, I hope they do it there.

I also agree that I loved the voice acting in The Place Promised. Amazingly, I've never gotten around to seeing Voices of a Distant Star, I think partly because using up one my netflix rental spots for such a short thing seems such a waste, but then again, if it's anything as good as TPPIOED, it probably won't be.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:05 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the merge, Tony K.

And just to get the Pale Cocoon matter out of the way...

selenta wrote:
I'm also with you on the Pale Cocoon. That was an amazing OVA as well imo. It did suffer a little at the end... but overall I was truly impressed. Maybe I'll go watch that again right now Smile

Actually I found the ending to be very fitting, bringing everything together and clearing up a lot of questions in a similar way that Paranoia Agent did. But I can see how some might not take to it. (I really should re-watch it and start a thread on it, though.)

Key wrote:
Unfortunately it [Pale Cocoon] doesn't have near the word-of-mouth reputation that VODS does, and a company may be leery of licensing it without some significant add-on to put with it. (VODS did have the short She and Her Cat and the alternate Japanese language track featuring the director and his wife-to-be, for instance.)

Funny that you bring that up, because Aquatic Language is a nine minute short that came with the DVD release of Pale Cocoon. It's a quirky, surrealistic anime that ties in thoughts on language, I, Robot, and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, if you can believe that. It was fansubbed a few months ago under its original Japanese title, Miyu no Kotoba.

Now then, to get on-topic...

Quote:
As for 5 cm, I've liked Shinkai's previous two works so I would certainly see this one, too. And there are art house theaters in my area. . .

I'd hope that ADV would try to give it a good solid push as I think something like 5 cm per Second could easily appeal to non-anime fans. I was unable to catch a screening here of Paprika back in April, but I'd hope to see Shinkai's latest work around here.

Which begs the question: is ADV going to release this in theaters in Japanese with English subtitles or with an English dub? I'd suspect the former if they're aiming for a limited audience, but if they try for any kind of mainstream push then it might be an English dub.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:08 am Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:
Something bigger at AX hm? It wouldn't be spoiler[Kanon] would it? Though since I'm going to Otakon, if they announce that, I hope they do it there.
I wish I knew. I'm only speculating. That would be a bit of a surprise announcement though, considering they basically said "we'd like to see how Air goes first." (They could be planning to unload a mass of information about their release of Sgt. Frog.)

It could also be that ADV wants to announce all their big releases prior to the convention to get people to come to their booths and panels instead of those for other companies. Diverting fan attention away from their rivals would be a good strategy, though it could also backfire badly.

Calculusman wrote:
Amazingly, I've never gotten around to seeing Voices of a Distant Star, I think partly because using up one my netflix rental spots for such a short thing seems such a waste, but then again, if it's anything as good as TPPIOED, it probably won't be.
Personally, I didn't like it as much as TPPIOED, but it was still quite good. It's a great story and the art is excellent.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:10 am Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:

I think a lot of companies are trying to get away from absolutely HAVING to announce their titles at conventions. I know it hamstrings any effort by the PR divisions of these companies to do anything creative or interesting with the announcement.

Everyone gets the news via the internet anyway; I don't know why it matters whether or not they do it at a show.

Edit: I just re-read your post and you even say you're not attending the show. Why do you care at all whether or not an announcement is made at a convention you're not going to?
Calculusman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:28 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Calculusman wrote:

I think a lot of companies are trying to get away from absolutely HAVING to announce their titles at conventions. I know it hamstrings any effort by the PR divisions of these companies to do anything creative or interesting with the announcement.

Everyone gets the news via the internet anyway; I don't know why it matters whether or not they do it at a show.

Edit: I just re-read your post and you even say you're not attending the show. Why do you care at all whether or not an announcement is made at a convention you're not going to?

Eh, I guess that's true about most people finding out over the internet anyway. I was just thinking about those who are going. I'd think it'd be cool if someone announced something big at a convention I went to, so...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3