• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream Live-Action Mischievous Kiss 2 Season

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:04 pm Reply with quote
The popularity of this show in drama fandom is completely lost on me (though I suspect a lot of it has to do with its wide availability compared to a lot of other, imo better dramas). Okay okay, I admit I haven't watched it but I absolutely hated the first half of the K-drama version that I did watch, so I can't imagine this would be much more appealing unless they completely change the story & characters (which I'm betting they didn't). Anyone watch both?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
The popularity of this show in drama fandom is completely lost on me (though I suspect a lot of it has to do with its wide availability compared to a lot of other, imo better dramas). Okay okay, I admit I haven't watched it but I absolutely hated the first half of the K-drama version that I did watch, so I can't imagine this would be much more appealing unless they completely change the story & characters (which I'm betting they didn't). Anyone watch both?

I'm watching both the Korean and the Japanese at the same time, I watched the first episode of the Taiwanese adaptation. But to be honest, it's been a while, I've been busy with other dramas and other stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ItAintEazy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:49 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
The popularity of this show in drama fandom is completely lost on me

An average girl eventually wins the heart of a supertalented superhunk. It's pretty much the reverse of how anime is now filled with boring protags who somehow get beautiful girls to fall for them since that obviously sells, except in Itakiss the heroine actually had to make some effort to get her guy.
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:18 am Reply with quote
ItAintEazy wrote:
An average girl eventually wins the heart of a supertalented superhunk. It's pretty much the reverse of how anime is now filled with boring protags who somehow get beautiful girls to fall for them since that obviously sells, except in Itakiss the heroine actually had to make some effort to get her guy.
But this type of story is dime-a-dozen in drama land. I don't mind the trope of the (initially) brusque or even outright insufferable drama hero but only if the female lead can hold her own with him. On the contrary, Oh Ha Ni (K-drama version) is probably one of the most pathetic drama heroines I've ever encountered-- like, her life's goal is just landing this jerk that she likes for god knows what reason. I sincerely don't understand why (presumably primarily) female viewers like her or this story. I have a good friend who has watched and enjoyed all 3 countries' versions and we've had long discussions about our polar-opposite reactions to the same story. It's one of those things we just have to agree to disagree on.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
I thought the Korean adaptation was terrible because they didn't get the story, but that the Taiwanese adaptation was really good. At least the first one. The sequel was a waste of time. I tend not to like Japanese live action adaptations of manga I love because they change it so drastically so I haven't watched this.
ItAintEazy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:28 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
It's one of those things we just have to agree to disagree on.

It's one of those mysteries of life, like why Twilight is so popular.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1