• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Lord Marksman and Vanadis [2014-10-20]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Gistradagis wrote:
I think you are confusing why late night shows are screened at late night... it's simply because, for one reason or another, they are not acceptable as all-age.

Sorry, but Johnny Mendes's explanation is very well-established as the actual truth of the matter in Japan; your explanation is only true for American TV. It would be more accurate to say that late-night anime have content that isn't "all ages" because they're late-night (which typically means otaku-focused) rather than the other way around.

Quote:
If anything, most fanservice-based anime air during the day because, as I said before, they are aimed at teenagers bursting with hormones who will love any sort of fanservice.

You make the opposite comparison of "then you have the mainstream shonen without much fanservice". If anything, it's the opposite. The mainstream anime are the ones more full of fanservice.

Utterly wrong. You'll definitely see some fan service in during-the-day/early evening shows, but it's always more limited and tame. It's far more frequent and graphic in the late-night stuff.

Quote:
And yes, fanservice is part of why some people watch these shows. And that is so, so sad. It basically means that part of its popularity is based not on the quality of the series, but on how many boners do the girls in the anime raise among the audience.

Naturally; to say that some series/titles exist primarily or entirely for that reason isn't an exaggeration. And, frankly, some of those shows aren't worth watching without the fan service. (See Baywatch; who actually watched that immensely popular series - and it was at one point the most popular TV series in the world! - for the plot?)

Quote:
I recomend that you read this thread, because it's a great explanation of the whole point I'm trying to make.
http://anifilereviews.com/2014/08/28/editorial-why-fanservice-is-more-of-a-disservice/

I found that link's explanation about the history behind panty shots (and thus presumably the prevalence of panty fetishes in Japan) to be very interesting, enough so that I am bookmarking it for later reference. (I highly recommend reading the article in that link for that insight if nothing else.)

However, I don't agree with a lot of the rest of what it says. He/she is trying to draw a causal link between train groping (i.e., chikan) and anime that just isn't there; that is a far broader and more endemic problem in Japanese society than can even slightly be accounted for by anime fan service, and I would bet that the perpetrators who watch anime at all are not only the exceptions but also do it for reasons that have nothing to do with anime. And are there series which purely objectify women? Of course, but you'll see that in American live-action TV and commercials, too. (Don't get me started on these recent Old Spice commercials with the robot.) And while I'll agree that the heaviest ecchi is more prominent in TV series in recent years (heavy ecchi has always been prominent in OVAs and darker-edged movies), it's been around pretty consistently in some form or another since at least the '80s.

Look, I'll entirely agree that fan service does needlessly get in the way in some series, but the last 3-4 years have also seen the advent of series which can have heavy fan service and still smoothly integrate it into their storytelling in such a way that the two are inseparable. Then there are other series where the fan service is the entire point or it's just used as flavoring but doesn't really get in the way. I find LMaV to be partly the second type and partly the last type. Some of the fan service in it is purely gratuitous flavoring, but the scene where Ellen didn't lose her cool about being seen naked by Tigre did, I think, convey a lot about Elen and where she stands with Tigre that could have maybe been portrayed a different way but definitely not as simply.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
This series is a bit hard to judge with the latest 2 episodes.

On the one hand I think Hope is right and they've REALLY started compressing the source material even more than the fans claim they had. This was all easily 4 episodes of material crammed into half that time. I doubt they'll be breaking this compressed storytelling there's only half a season left to finish off the story.

On the other hand I don't think the studio has much of a choice. Like with many adaptations this series is basically a 13 episode commercial.
While I would love more nuanced storytelling like with Mila there's probably not enough time. There's plenty of threads that can be easily explored if the series was longer like Tigre's deal with the devil or Roland questioning his orders. But then we might not be able to complete the war and have to half ass some original ending that suspends the story but doesn't really end it.

It bugs me but I have to opt for tolerating the breakneck storytelling because the alternative is a half assed ending that might as well be a blank screen that says "Read the Source Material to get the rest of the story" Of course the writers could always end up doing both and disappointing me twofold.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:08 pm Reply with quote
The studio did the best they realistically could. It is impossible to fit 5 novels into 13 episodes while keeping a walking pace. We all wanted a 24 episode series, but money doesn't come from thin air.

Hope there will be a season two though.

Quick correction:

The guy who found out about the king's condition was Lord Mathas Rodant, not Bertrand.

Bertrand was the old guy standing outside Tigre's tent as Ellen was giving him the hand on boob treatment.

Btw Hope have you checked out the web mini-series Tigre-kun to Vanadi-chu? They're super cute, and has a lot of the character development and interactions left out of the main show. Hiryuu Fansubs is releasing subs for them every week, along with the main show.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
are you sure that Ganelon hired the Mouzinel Army? Seemed like they only attacked since Roland, the country's strongest soldier, would no longer be a threat.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:35 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
are you sure that Ganelon hired the Mouzinel Army? Seemed like they only attacked since Roland, the country's strongest soldier, would no longer be a threat.

Thenardier gets outright pissy about Ganelon hiring them to march on him, basically. I could go back and check but I thought it was pretty explicit that Ganelon had hired them.

It doesn't matter because they're basically here to fill time so Tigre can't go after Thenardier directly. FILLER!
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:38 am Reply with quote
must have missed that then.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:46 am Reply with quote
Who gets saved from the enemy who was about to sell them into slavery, and then complains to the rescuer that he didn't come sooner? I would have said FU and chucked him back to the barbarians. (They're actually based on the Sassanid Persians).

But Tigre is a better man than I am, and I thought his interactions with the refugees was a really good piece of character development. I'm surprised that Hope says there was zero character development in the episode.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:22 am Reply with quote
Well it wasn't so much complaining that he didn't come sooner as it was complaining that he was already there and could have saved those people but chose not to at that time. Not knowing Tigre's strategy or situation, he had a legitimate beef, and in his grief wasn't in the mood to suppress his feelings about it.
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:57 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

Thenardier gets outright pissy about Ganelon hiring them to march on him, basically. I could go back and check but I thought it was pretty explicit that Ganelon had hired them.

It doesn't matter because they're basically here to fill time so Tigre can't go after Thenardier directly. FILLER!

Nah this new army isn't related to either Thenardier or Ganelon. I cant remember the reason they invaded now but I think it was something more or less similar to what getchman said. Regardless of what the reason was yeah the new army is not working with either of the dukes. The reason Thenardier gets mad is just because he wanted to keep Roland alive since he thought he could still be useful.

Before this Thenardier and Ganelon are not getting along at all actually. In fact they were never really allies in the first place as both have been maneuvering to claim the throne for themselves. That's why it was mentioned in an earlier episode that people are taking sides between them and how Tigre was in a position to be a 3rd force.

Poor Roland. He didn't get much time in the actual light novels either which is a shame. Being someone able to fight evenly with a war maiden I thought he would be important and stick around for a while but nope.
Maize Hughes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:11 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
getchman wrote:

Note that they also introduced yet another foreign army in passing, making it clear that Brune is threatened on all sides. Probably, as usual. Most swords n stuff shows make it seem pretty unlikely that there would just happen to be nobles with standing armies just waiting around for the hero to show up, this one makes it clear that they need to use them all the time!
Maize Hughes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:15 am Reply with quote
Also, anyone notice the implied yaoi moment at the beginning of the episode? Tigere's devoted follower, pretty bald headed guy implicitly professes his love (again), and points out that now that all the girls are away, he has the undivided attention of the thousand men who would love...to sacrifice their lives in battle for him.

I thought to myself:"wow...I can see so much doujinshi from here"
Gistradagis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:20 am Reply with quote
Maize Hughes wrote:
Also, anyone notice the implied yaoi moment at the beginning of the episode? Tigere's devoted follower, pretty bald headed guy implicitly professes his love (again), and points out that now that all the girls are away, he has the undivided attention of the thousand men who would love...to sacrifice their lives in battle for him.

I thought to myself:"wow...I can see so much doujinshi from here"

Where some hear "loyalty," others hear "yaoi bukkake with a thousand soldiers."
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:04 am Reply with quote
I had never thought that there was going truely army strategy going on in anime these days. Its nice to see.

spoiler[I honest think Tigere is heading in the direction of becoming the king way things are playing out.]
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
The pacing is quite astonishingly fast, major battles (plot-wise, and numerically-wise) start and end on the same episode, the characters get power-ups and use them (quite proficiently) almost immediately afterwards.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gistradagis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I think the pacing is hurting the anime. I mean, during last episode, it almost feels like the Vanadis with eyes of different colours has started a war only to meet Ellen and tell her "careful with Ganelon." Did they really fight and lose lots of good men and time for smth that could had been done through a message? Because if the Vanadis really thought she had been set up on that pirate mission, I don't think she would have accepted a peace treaty so easily.

The plot is starting to feel trivial, I dunno.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7