• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation TV Ranking, November 10-16

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I went all the way to the 2013 TV ratings but I couldn't find Attack on Titan on any of them. I don't understand. Was it not popular enough to make it into the TV ratings? It couldn't even beat Naruto or Toriko?
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Almost certainly not. Attack on Titan was a late-night anime, which means it aired in an informercial timeslot (so the producers paid for the airtime), and was essentially used as a commercial for the property - the discs, manga, associated merchandise, etc. In contrast, all the shows listed in the ratings here are expected to make money by selling ad time, and pretty much none are expected to do any real business selling episodes on disc.

In short, what you're seeing here is the gap between what's actually mainstream and big but still niche entertainment.
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:37 am Reply with quote
Yay for Magic Kaito and Nobunaga Concerto drama!
ichii_1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:38 am Reply with quote
Looks like after the hype has settled down dbz is averaging Toriko numbers, maybe it will come back after dbz ends since it's ratings are about the same.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
The Magic Kaito ratings have to be gained from watching the Conan franchise out of habit. Other than one episode they've been made up of entirely unnecessary retellings of stories that have already been animated as "specials" over the past couple years. The animation style isn't any better or different, NO story changes, even the VA's are mostly the same.
It competes with Nic Cage's "Left Behind" movie as the years most unnecessary revival, the audience of the original is just about the only audience that's watching... but that audience is the type to continue watching the same thing over again.

...which actually includes me too... still watching it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
ichii_1 wrote:
Looks like after the hype has settled down dbz is averaging Toriko numbers, maybe it will come back after dbz ends since it's ratings are about the same.

I doubt that. I don't think Toriko product lines would've ended if the anime was only going on a hiatus. I'm not sure Toei can handle another show right now either.

Kai: The Final Chapter is going to end early next year and wasn't originally intended to air in Japan. This is just a bonus and serves as a lead-in for the 2015 movie. Kai could have worse ratings than Toriko and I doubt Toei would care.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
ichii_1 wrote:

It's probably a safer bet to say that the new Digimon Adventure anime will take over Dragon Ball Kai's slot in the spring.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1