• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame FINAL: Chie the Brat

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
It would be nice to see another regular column exposing less known anime, whether they're good or bad. Mike Toole's column is good, but it's usually more about broad subjects than specific titles.
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:10 am Reply with quote
As much I love your articles on obscure anime, it's pretty clear that you've long since hit the bottom of your particular barrel of content to scourge. That said, thanks a lot for all of the quality writing over the years. You've got a great talent as a film critic and have introduced me to a lot of great anime in Buried Treasure that have since become my favorites, like To-Y, Heroic Legend Arslan, and Venus Wars.

In fact, I recently watched Time Stranger after having read your recommendation; I was so moved by the film that I overcame the depression I was struggling with at the time and resolved to fix my real-world problems. So I guess in a weird way, your writing about anime has tangibly improved my quality of living. Thanks again, and I look forward to your new column!
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:42 am Reply with quote
Farewell "Pile of Shame" column, you will now join the ranks of such retired columns and fan favorites like "Anime News Nina" and "The Click". )>_>)7
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:12 am Reply with quote
Pile of Shame was always fun to read, but I can respect that you want to switch gears, Justin. Burnout is never fun to deal with.

I suspect that if this had been dubbed back in the day, it would have probably come out as cowboy English or something.
Maokun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:02 am Reply with quote
Sad to see the column go, not so sad about not having to explain over and over to complaining people that "Pile of Shame" doesn't mean that the anime listed are bad. Thanks for the good times, Justin! You went out in style, indeed. I had never heard of Chie which is extremely surprising to me since I have seen even Hols.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Very sad to see the last of pile of shame, I did enjoyed the column a lot. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Doublas_Mk-II

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Great article. Chie the Brat is probably my favorite of Takahata's works. It's a real shame it that it's not more well-known, though it's nice to see it getting some mention.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2