• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ubel Blatt GN 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Is that Dark Zelda? Anime hyper
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I read the 1st few chapters last year and liked it(will finish reading the rest). Would love to see this as an anime with everything attached.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
As I was reading it, I kept thinking how well it would adapt to anime. Our chances of getting it with all its darker parts, however, probably aren't great. Confused
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
In regards to sex and fanservice scenes, I do think early Übel Blatt has a definite edge of desperation to it. Like, "OH MY GOD WE COULD BE CANCELLED AT ANY SECOND HERE HAVE SOME BOOBS." As the story goes on, however, the author slowly comes to realize people are willing to keep reading for the actual story, and backs off a bit on it. It never goes away entirely, considering the kind of story it is, but it's a lot less in-your-face-all-the-time later on.

I would also love to see an anime of this. It's probably my absolute number one desired anime adaptation. Sometimes I think "this is too hard core to put on TV," but...If Berserk can get an anime, then why not this? (Maybe those folks over at Madhouse who seem to be looking at older, brutal series like Hunter x Hunter and Parasyte will make it.)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Hunter x Hunter, both of the adaptations, were toned down significantly in violence and other disturbing imagery though. I think this series would be interesting to me too--is it still ongoing in Japan?

Quote:
Sometimes when a company rates a series “M” they're just employing precautionary tactics, because you never can tell what people will get upset about.

When I read that in the article preview, I thought it was going to be followed with, "And sometimes, a company rates a series "M" to call attention to itself, to be edgy and look like the forbidden fruit kids want to get their hands on."

Maybe I've been exposed to too much of EA's marketing.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Hunter x Hunter, both of the adaptations, were toned down significantly in violence and other disturbing imagery though. I think this series would be interesting to me too--is it still ongoing in Japan?

I wouldn't necessarily say that. While probably neither adaptations capture quite the level of brutality of some of the manga's most graphic moments, I'd attribute that more to Togashi's slavish devotion to putting detail into said graphic moments than any censorship. (Even when he's in almost-time-to-go-on-hiatus-again mode, and everything else looks like a storyboard, those gruesome moments are painstakingly drawn.)

As for actual censorship: in the 1999 anime, it didn't seem like there was really that much censorship to me, though I admit it's been a while since I watched it, so I may be forgetting something. As for Madhouse's 2011 adaptation, at first there was most definitely censorship - though the implied violence was never taken away even if they wouldn't let us see it. However, in the early stages of the York New arc, they seemed to kind of go, "eh, screw it, this isn't working," and just went into bloodbath mode. That's especially apparent in the Chimera Ant arc, and well...it was moved to a late night showtime around then.

As for the "still ongoing" question: Do you mean Hunter x Hunter or Übel Blatt? Hunter x Hunter: yes, but it's on hiatus again, who knows when it's coming off. Übel Blatt: Yep, it's still ongoing. It's on 15 volumes now, 16 counting volume 0.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I mean Übel Blatt. Sorry for the confusion. (I am a fan of Hunter x Hunter, so I know it's still ongoing, albeit limping.)

Ah, that's interesting about the 2011 anime. I never really followed it, but I did ask a lot of questions to people I knew who did, and I stopped asking around the end of the York New story as I had my impression by then.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
The rape horse is the most dark thing in the manga by far. Here is my short MU review:

Not berserk, but what is ?

This manga started of OK, got good after a few volumes than got boring and tame around volume 8 or so. Than it went on a hiatus, came back and now it is just grinding it´s gears.
The the art is pretty good but the "world building" is sub par. So after 12 Volumes i had enough. By the way. How many mangas is he writing at once ? Does he want to one up LIM Dall-Young ?
Instead i suggest Berserk, Wolfsmund, Vinland Saga and so on. A 5/10 and dropped.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nichtejager

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Nice review, and thanks. Wondered how it stood up in flavor to Vinland and Wolfsmund. A lot of the ones I like will either never get translations in the US or get dropped like hot potatoes due to the violence levels. Striking a balance isn't always easy, sad to say.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote
well i already get berserk, wolfsmund and vinland saga so i thought it was worth a buy, gotta do my bit to support titles like this anyhow.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh, Ubel Blatt... There's an awful nigh impossible percentage but I hope this shota hero can score an anime adaptation. Material wise, it can at least hold a cour...
Little_Hawk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
It started off really strongly and the plot was compelling, but the most recent chapters have been going downhill, making the plot outright confusing with the reader not even being able to remember who each character was, not to mention various moments are dragged out far too long, and the focus is often shifted to secondary characters that haven't had enough character development for us to care about.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
well i already get berserk, wolfsmund and vinland saga so i thought it was worth a buy, gotta do my bit to support titles like this anyhow.

My thoughts exactly. Smile
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:26 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the review, sounds quite promising, I think I'll pick this up with my holiday orders.

Even if I'm going to pick it up, I too would like to see it get an anime adaptation.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In regards to sex and fanservice scenes, I do think early Übel Blatt has a definite edge of desperation to it. Like, "OH MY GOD WE COULD BE CANCELLED AT ANY SECOND HERE HAVE SOME BOOBS."

Yeah, being full of unnecessary distasteful sex and unnecessary violence, it really seemed like it tried very hard to attract readers. I don’t know how successful it has been, but it successfully repelled me from wanting to read any more. It didn’t help that after taking away gratuitous violence and sex, I found the story unimpressive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2