• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Only Toonami?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Once again, excellent article Mike. I'm sure older fans of Toonami is going to get a lot of flashback when they read this. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
As a huge Eyeshield fan, I initially liked the dub. Now that I'm older and therefore wiser, I can safely say the dub SUCKED. Especially in how they handled Hiruma. Not only was his voice bad, but they removed his blackmailing and guns! He seemed more extremely enthusiastic than hilariously evil! God, what were they thinking...?
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
As a witness and watcher of all these events, this hit me right in the feels.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
A couple issues. First off, this one:

Quote:
The final follow-up, 2005's Zoids Genesis, was only shown on Toonami Jetstream.

This actually never happened. The plan was to distribute it on Toonami Jetstream, but it actually never happened. I heard the series was dubbed in it's entirety, but I heard supposed reports of it airing in some Asian markets. No rips ever surfaced, so it's anyone's guess who was all in that dub.

Second:

Quote:
For me, the absolute best Toonami show that nobody remembers is s-CRY-ed.

This... never actually aired on Cartoon Network's Toonami block, rather it ended up airing on Adult Swim's Action block. I actually saw this when it aired on the Adult Swim block. I think I remember people discussing back in the day that the show would've been a better fit on Toonami rather than Adult Swim.

So... yeah.

Either way, Toonami has been an interesting ride over the years. Some shows that aired on it, I haven't seen since it aired years ago.
Ziko577

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I remember that piece of garbage Duel Masters. It was so edited that they made fun of everyone and everything and for no reason even Yu-Gi-Oh! which was still airing at the time. The Japanese version is so much better (like 10 seasons better!!) We didn't even get 2 seasons. Sad

To make matters worse, the Hub now know as Discovery Family rebooted it with Kaijudo and after seeing the series, it was a massive failure. The card game here even died not once but twice!
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't care much for racing. I don't care much for mecha. I don't care much for the dealings of most mecha pilots. But I watched and LOVED "IGPX". It's been out of view for a long time, but every time I see my preview disc, I tend to pop it in and check it out again. I only wish I had the TV recordings I used to have a long time ago of it.
If I could get a word out to the creators, it would be "I see what you put into this and it is inspiring. It may have been a flop, but it still may have affected someone's future a bit more than you thought."

If, for some indescribable reason, I make it in the industry, this will be one of the childhood wonders I will cite as an inspiration to have kept going. Thank you, IGPX crew!
srlracing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
The moment I recognized anime as anime was through Toonami when my younger sisters' introduced me to Tenchi Muyo! when it sat right between Dragon Ball Z which I watched and Sailor Moon which they watched. It was the only 24 minutes a day we ever sat together during our childhood and when the quirky quintessentially Japanese nature of Tenchi Muyo! made me realize how many shows and movies I was already watching were from this funny little country called Japan. It also got me moving on up from Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z's of the world to Zoids, Outlaw Star, Yu Yu Hakusho, etc.

I don't remember if it was during Toonami or during the early incarnation of Adult Swim but there was a show called Pilot Candidate for Goddess that now that I look back was not a great show but at the time it had me enthralled but it seemed to end out of nowhere. It was my first run in with how an anime can just end before the entire story is told.

Big O perhaps was the most telling of my age though. I hated it at the time but I watched it again years later during the late night block and loved it. Probably one of the more underrated titles to run on Toonami.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I didn't get into Toonami until 2002, with Rurouni Kenshin & G Gundam being my first two shows from the block. Looking over what aired in that black, though, there are a couple of titles I really enjoyed from it, aside from the two I already mentioned. There was the 2001 anime reboot of Cyborg 009, which I enjoyed immensely & wish would one day get a proper & complete uncut release (probably will never happen, though, due to licensing issues). The other Mike didn't mention wasn't actually anime, but Megas XLR was such a love-letter to the medium that it can't be ignored; it's a shame that the powers that be were able to allow IGPX to get re-aired but not Megas as well (let alone Cartoon Network apparently not allowing any sort of home video release, either).
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
A great article, but a few corrections:

Quote:

No it didn't. It was announced to stream on Toonami Jetstream in the initial press release (alongside Hikaru no Go, Prince of Tennis, and MAR), but it never arrived, and there is no evidence that an english dub was ever completed.

Quote:
They kept not tuning in until it was quietly dropped from rotation a year later, only to return when the Toonami block went to weekends.

You're mixing up your dates here. What was shown when Toonami was on weekdays was the original IGPX micro-series back in 2003. The series itself aired from 2005-2006, when Toonami was already exclusively on Saturdays.

The show did fail in the ratings, and was pulled partway through its second season, airing premieres on Friday nights instead. It did eventually return to Toonami, but not until years later when the block had moved to Adult Swim.

Last edited by veemonjosh on Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Ziko577 wrote:
I remember that piece of garbage Duel Masters. It was so edited that they made fun of everyone and everything and for no reason even Yu-Gi-Oh! which was still airing at the time. The Japanese version is so much better (like 10 seasons better!!) We didn't even get 2 seasons. Sad

Nuts to you; that thing was fairly funny. Making fun of card game shows is much better than trying to tolerate them straight.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I grew up watching Saint Seiya on international channels and never really got into Ronin Warriors, beyond looking at a random episode or two. I can only assume the experience should be roughly equivalent.

Blue Submarine No. 6 is one of those situations where I might have seen the whole thing once or twice but promptly forgot all of the details. I don't remember actively disliking it though.

I never saw IGPX at all. I've heard enough interesting things to merit giving the show a chance, with the proper mindset and mainly out of historical curiosity, so I'll wait for the Discotek release.

Scryed was over-the-top shounen fighting with characters that were ultimately more entertaining than smart, but I think the cast was still pretty colorful, some of the sequences were directed fairly dynamically and the series provided enough action content to be a fun distraction overall.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I do plan to check out IGPX with the new Discotek release, I'm hoping it will be something like Oban Star-Racers, which I really like. I also really want Discotek to get the Zoids series, I'd buy them too!

I thought s-CRY-ed was ok (except for Straight Cougar, who was just awesome), a distraction, but not much more. Except that last episode just left this god-awful bad taste in my mouth. Still, I sold my set, I liked it, but doubt I'll ever watch it again.

Reboot, while not an anime, seems to get attention on and off. Mostly because Rainmaker can't seem to decide if they are making a Reboot movie or not (meanwhile, they appear contractually obligated to spit out at least one Barbie movie a year and they're working on both a Ratchet and Sly movie now). It last got some attention when it got a DVD release (and put up on Netflix), but now, no one seems to talk about it. I never saw it on TV (I didn't have cable at the time anyway) and it would pretty much be a lie to say the CGI of the first two seasons aged really well, but about partway through season 2, it cuts out the episodic video game stuff and gets this really awesome story. That ends on a damn eternal cliffhanger at the end of Season 4.

At least Reboot is easy to find to watch, unlike MegasXLR, which I swear Cartoon Network wants to bury so hard it hurts. Clearly they needed to put all that effort onto those god-awful live action movies and shows they were doing for a while, Megas hasn't even come out on DVD! I think you could buy episodes on the Xbox, but that was about it. Though this show does have a cult following at the very least.
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
A couple issues. First off, this one:
Quote:

This actually never happened. <snip>

Second:
Quote:
For me, the absolute best Toonami show that nobody remembers is s-CRY-ed.

This... never actually aired on Cartoon Network's Toonami block, rather it ended up airing on Adult Swim's Action block. <snip>

I'm glad that I wasn't the only one that noticed this.

Also:
Quote:
and the way that the gloriously incomprehensible Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo used to anchor the Friday Toonami broadcast.

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo aired on Saturday not Friday. It was at the time Toonami moved to Saturday nights (7pm-10pm).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
It kind of says something about anime's status as mainstream when the majority of peple I've tried mentioning Toonami to who aren't avid TV watchers (and some that are) have never heard of it, not even its 90's run. I guess everyone was desperate to look mature, even then.

I never actually liked IGPX. Its initial airing happened when I was busy and couldn't watch it, so I watched it when it returned to the late-night Saturday Toonami of today. I personally felt the main character, Takashi, to be too whiny and self-centered. I'm sure he got better over the course of the series, but a number of other things continued to bug me, mainly that the more you think about how these races are like and their typical progression, the less sense it makes.

I really liked s-CRY-ed though. (The title actually refers to that little girl's Alter ability to see the future. "Scryed" is the name of the ability.) It was dumb, but it was so very energetic and optimistic.

Quote:
In the 1980s, they were one of those toy lines that didn't have a cartoon or comic book tie-in—all of the story details were printed on the boxes, and you were left to use your imagination to fill in the details.

Isn't that how most American toy lines are now? That is, the toys have their own little stories printed on the packaging, and there may be some direct-to-video movies? Among toys for boys, we've recently had Bionicle, and G.I. Joe has become like that too. Among girls' toys, you have Monster High and Tinkerbell. Heck, most little girls are not even aware that there is a My Little Pony TV show on the air in the present.

srlracing wrote:
I don't remember if it was during Toonami or during the early incarnation of Adult Swim but there was a show called Pilot Candidate for Goddess that now that I look back was not a great show but at the time it had me enthralled but it seemed to end out of nowhere. It was my first run in with how an anime can just end before the entire story is told.

That would be Adult Swim. Right at the beginning, in fact, when the bumpers consisted of photographs of a swimming pool for old people. Pilot Candidate did have a strange, abrupt ending. I don't know if it was the intended ending of the show or if it was cut short, as the show didn't do too well in the ratings.

Fronzel wrote:
Nuts to you; that thing was fairly funny. Making fun of card game shows is much better than trying to tolerate them straight.

Agreed. Wizards of the Coast thinking Plastic Cow Productions would make a faithful dub was the most amusing accident in anime localization I can think of.

classicalzawa wrote:
At least Reboot is easy to find to watch, unlike MegasXLR, which I swear Cartoon Network wants to bury so hard it hurts. Clearly they needed to put all that effort onto those god-awful live action movies and shows they were doing for a while, Megas hasn't even come out on DVD! I think you could buy episodes on the Xbox, but that was about it. Though this show does have a cult following at the very least.

Megas XLR was recently written off by Time Warner. To write a show off means that it has been acknowledged as a loss (money-wise) and has been discarded. A written-off show cannot be aired or put on home video until an outside entity (whether it be a group or an individual) buys the show. The purpose of writing off a show is so that the parent company no longer has to pay income taxes relating to owning that show.

I think it suffered the same fate as Sym-Bionic Titan (which has also been written off, alongside Thundercats (2011)): It was a good show, got decent numbers, but it was far too expensive to make, and without a toy line, it can't support itself.

Time Warner may have given up on Megas XLR but you don't have to: Shows that are cult hits like these tend to get picked up by small home video distribution companies like Shout! Factory several years down the line. Don't count on the series continuing though, at least not in the form of a reboot (also a very nice show) or a remake, but that's a hard sell to executives.

Last edited by leafy sea dragon on Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Aside from Samurai Troopers and Blue Sub, most of these were on after I began to lose interest in the block. No nostalgia rush here. Even then, I'm so familiar with everyone I've seen back then, and even all of the stuff that used to play on Sci-Fi, I don't think an article on that would give me a rush either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8