• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2014

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Wow, interesting list. One Piece definitely deserves the spot along with runner up Attack on Titan up there. I'm hoping Diamond no Ace get more popularity next year though as well as Chihayafuru. Still, Haikyu!!'s ranking makes me quite happy seeing it being ranked 3rd.

Hoping for the best next year!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Still a chance that Titan can beat One Piece (we have to wait until Dec. 31 for that to be resolved).
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Still a chance that Titan can beat One Piece (we have to wait until Dec. 31 for that to be resolved).

never. every year is Nov 17-18 to next year's Nov 17-18

and a new vol of one piece iis coming out next month. The lead will just be bigger. New OP vol always sold better than titans, even if there is a titans vol, it won't be enough.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Minami-Asakura

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Sorry kids, the titan fever was super high, and although it was close, One Piece wont be dethroned. LIVE WITH IT.

Regardless as a franchise, Shingeki is way way way far from One Piece.

Whats up with people wishing for OP to be dethroned?, One Piece is still king in all terms, the most important in story quality, so it more than deserves to be No. 1.

While Shingeki is very good and I enjoy it a lot as many do, its most important aspect and why it gathers so much fanbase its the "cool" and "badass" factors. Lets see how far it goes with that.

Compared to One Piece Longevity and how it masterfully has managed to not keep but also increase its quality over the years, which is in itself and extraordinary feat that I think it has never before happened, Shingeki s still a little kid.

For One Piece to be truly dethroned we need a series of its caliber, capable of reaching the same heights in all fronts, not just one, so far, none exist to date.

Remember Kids, the important thing its not to "reach it", but keep it up. Shingeki in terms of manga sales has reached the top, only as years go by will we know if it manages to keep up the hype.

Last edited by Minami-Asakura on Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Titan was REAL close. Good for Haikyuu! and Tokyo Ghoul! And I can't believe (but sorta do) how low on the list Bleach is!
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Close, Titan, so close...Actually, while it looks like it's closing in on One Piece, it's actually down about 4 million in sales from last year. (But then, One Piece is down 6.3 million, so...) And since Titan's second season isn't coming around until 2016, I'd expect this status quo will probably hold next year, too...

Haikyuu is certainly kicking ass, not that I'm surprised. I'm almost a little startled at just how good a boost Tokyo Ghoul got from its anime; not that I'm complaining, it's a good manga.

I feel like this is the first top 30 list I've seen in a while with no Hunter x Hunter...But well, even if new individual volumes of that sell great...It didn't put out a single new volume this year, so yeah...*sighs*

KENZICHI wrote:
And I can't believe (but sorta do) how low on the list Bleach is!

lol It's actually up about 200,000 in sales from last year. Laughing
Camiru Mylle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Ohmy, Uchuu Kyoudai is out on the list. That's sad.

Wait for it people, Shokugeki might top it to top 5 once the anime is out.

Well there's no Hunter x Hunter basically because....you know......

But man, all the other good mangas not in the list. Sad
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Minami-Asakura wrote:
Whats up with people wishing for OP to be dethroned?

For the same reason people like to see a game of baseball won with a bases-loaded home run at the bottom of the ninth. For the same reason people all are suddenly paying attention to a tournament when the champion gets taken out in the first round. For the same reason people root for the underdog (though AoT is far from an underdog at this point).

It's exciting to see a sudden upheaval. It's exciting to see a longterm champion overthrown. That's why, it's not really about One Piece's or Attack on Titan's relative quality. (Well, okay, I'm sure it is for some people.) I bet there are even people who have somehow managed to never read/watch either series, who are still kind of rooting for Titan to kick One Piece down. Because it's just the closest competitor right now.
sweaf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Hikyuu really is THAT good!

Last edited by sweaf on Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Haikyuu's success is probably the thing that jumps out to me the most. Really glad to see it doing so well. The Seven Deadly Sins has done well to get so high as well considering its anime hasn't been running for that long. & then Assassination Classroom's continued success is even more impressive considering its anime hasn't aired yet. Will be interesting to see how big it gets next year.

Will be interesting to see if Attack On Titan manages to overtake One Piece when its second season airs.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
There might also be a Jan. 1, '15 or Dec. 31 article that mentions the best-selling manga series in Japan from Jan. 1-Dec. 31.
OH&S

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
One Piece came out on top again!? Oh boy that was a close one. I was seriously believing that AOT would come out on top this year by a small amount; yet the reverse ended up happening.

I'm ecstatic that Tokyo Ghoul and Haikyu!! did so well this year as well.

Naruto and Kuroko no Basket held up well this year as well and I'm certain that we'll still see them next year in the top 30 as well.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I love both Attack on Titan and One Piece (Although I like One Piece a little more), but One Piece deserves the top spot. It's been going on for 15+ years with un-equivocated success (Except here in the US... Damn you 4Kids...).
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I wonder whether Viz is considering adding HAIKYU!! To the English WSJ, considering these figures and it still surviving in the Japanese edition. I've never read it, and sports manga is not a personal favorite (unfairly short-lived CROSS MANAGE notwithstanding), but the industry could use another hit across the Pacific.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
One Piece barely escapes with the top spot but at the same time it is about to extend it's lead, as volume 76 is coming out in December. The Dressrosa arc is about ready to close out, and the outcome is going to cause the series to explode storywise. Oda is still king in terms of storytelling and continues to prove why he is the Toriyama of the 21st century.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3