• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shirobako Episode 6 Streaming Suspended Due to Rights Issue

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Wonder what happened.

Mark Gosdin
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Is it because of all the Ideon stuff? I though it was safe, since they didn't use any footage from the actual show, nor its actual name.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Japan seriously needs fair use.
flackenstien

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
What... I still haven't tried this.. I wanted to try this..
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
This isn't good. Especially since episode 6 was one of the better episodes....I hope they can get it back up soon!
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
The episode's story and original Japanese title ("Idepon Miyamori: Hatsudō-hen") includes many references to the Densetsu Kyojin Ideon television anime and its movie sequel The Ideon: Be Invoked (Densetsu Kyojin Ideon: Hatsudō-hen).

So let me get this straight, the reason they suspend streaming of episode 6 is because of possible infringement which I don't see how, I mean a lot of American shows (ie: Family Guy) make reference to other pop culture yet I don't see an episode of Family Guy being removed because of possible infringment. If the show was parodying Tomino's show, then there's no reason to make an issue out of it (because parody are exempted from copyright infringement) and going as far as to suspend streaming.

configspace wrote:
Japan seriously needs fair use.

That's my beef with Japanese copyright laws. They're too strict and draconian, there's too many redtapes and regulations that shouldn't be there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Readings this makes me sad, since I think ep 6 was the best one by far; what's more, everything they said about "Idepon" was really flattering and I was quite happy the production team made that kind of homage. If this is truly Sunrise's doing, I hope they change their minds, though I know how unlikely that is and probably this episode will be drastically changed in the blu ray.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
If there's one thing I don't really like about Sunrise/Bandai it's that they can be really anal retentive with copyright stuff on video sights. Good luck finding any music that's ever been in one of their shows on youtube for too long, especially if it was a major hit. Whoever is the producer for Shirobako will probably settle with them and then it'll be back up in due order, but yeah many production studios and entities will let this sort of thing slide easy, but for whatever reason they just won't.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Japan's Copyrights laws are quite strict (maybe too much, even for its own good). I hope it's something that can be resolved by a few handshakes and getting wasted at the local Sake bar, and not something along the lines of Cease-and-Desist

Last edited by Hameyadea on Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Crap, I'm only up to the second episode.
Sad
bolaykim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
It is hard to do business in japan Smile
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
As I said, we don't even know what's going on behind the scene as in the real truth why this episode got suspended from streaming.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Hm. I haven't been following Shirobako, but maybe I should be. If it's about the anime industry directly, they could totally adapt this incident into the plot of the show itself.

"Hey, do you remember that Idepon series we drew? It got taken off the internet by "Kill'em'all Tom●no" because it was too close to a series the guy made back in the 80s. Boy, if only Japanese copyright law were different..."
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
cookie wrote:
Hm. I haven't been following Shirobako, but maybe I should be. If it's about the anime industry directly, they could totally adapt this incident into the plot of the show itself.

"Hey, do you remember that Idepon series we drew? It got taken off the internet by "Kill'em'all Tom●no" because it was too close to a series the guy made back in the 80s. Boy, if only Japanese copyright law were different..."

Hey Cookie, nice to hear from ya. I didn't really expect to see you coming on this thread. Very Happy
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Hey Cookie, nice to hear from ya. I didn't really expect to see you coming on this thread. :D

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition! Heh. I still visit the site just about every day. I just don't post on the forums, mostly because of this very response. I also tend not to watch all that much anymore (this season I'm watching Amagi Brilliant Park and Denkigai no Honyasan over on Nico Nico [I'm probably the only American who jumps through hoops to watch shows over there instead of using domestic companies]). I also dip a bit into older titles that I didn't finish before (Witch Hunter Robin, Saint Seiya, Heidi of the Alps, etc).

Shirobako sounded like a moe series, so I didn't even bother checking it out... but now, it's sounding like maybe I misjudged it. What's it like? IS it just a moe show that references a ton of anime (a la Lucky Star) or is it like Animation Runner Kuromi (a spastic look at the anime industry), or is it like... Mike Rowe's "Dirty Jobs" TV series? Something with a bit more exposure to what the industry is "actually" like?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2