• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Carb City

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But, Hollywood makes what sells to the biggest, most reliable audience possible, and then gets stuck in whatever mode tastes land in.

Hollywood also takes some of their profit and gives it to producers for smaller projects as well as the typical end-of-year Oscar baiters, for better and for worse. Anime is running off much tighter margins, so that niche will have to be filled by manga.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit I also submitted the Megan Fox story to ANN when I saw the story in The Metro even though I knew it was just a spurious off the cuff remark and not a real movie green light. However I didn't know the actual quote they'd based it on was so old!
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Megan Fox playing Sailor Moon would be in the so bad it's good category, but it would get butts in seats though if a Sailor Moon live action was made.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Girly girls in frills and wielding cute pink and bejeweled weapons, regardless of how ass-kicking they may be, would just never fly in Hollywood. Their outfits would be replaced with black leather and they'd carry guns to blend in with all of the other trash YA out there.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I used to think this was caused by the difference in Japanese NTSC video standards (where black level is at 0 IRE) and American NTSC standards (where black level is at 7.5 IRE). And then I realized, "wait a second... Japanese black level is DARKER! Now this doesn't make any sense at all!"
And there is the problem, or rather the misconception. Luminous signal Black at 0 IRE (or 0.000mV) is the same as as black at 7.5 IRE (or 0.0075mV, waveform scale) where US NTSC set black, for reasons only beknownst to the boffins' what designed it as a good idea. Inotherwords complete signal envelope black to white not crushed at botton or top. When talking about actual signal strength and within the carrier video envelope when a 0 IRE black recording is played back though a 7.5 IRE system it is actually now lifted by 0.0075mV making blacks appear "milky" and when this is vice-versa, crushed black (darker). (Full White sits at 1.000mV) The UK and Europeans as well as the Japanese set black at 0 IRE (0.000mV baseline.) Any questions? Wink

Waveform of NTSC colour bars set in low pass filtering

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
When talking about actual signal strength and within the carrier video envelope when a 0 IRE black recording is played back though a 7.5 IRE system it is actually now lifted by 0.0075mV making blacks appear "milky" and when this is vice-versa, crushed black (darker).

Actually, that DOES clear things up! Thanks!

Guh, what a mess. This is why I don't miss analog video at all. (Mostly before my time, thank god.)
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Megan Fox playing Sailor Moon would be in the so bad it's good category, but it would get butts in seats though if a Sailor Moon live action was made.

I have several good ideas how a SM movie could be made, none of which will likely be used.
(Like, how about spoiler[skipping the Luna/first-meeting crap and saving it for flashbacks, jump into the story a la R Movie, and have the narration be framed by an unseen-till-the-end Neo-Serenity telling the "fairytale" to a pre-R Small Lady?] Oh, and instead of the other projects not knowing what to do with Minako/Venus, how about first having her as spoiler[her later "impulsive froot-loop" character, as a classmate seemingly getting a little too close to discovering their secrets, and later revealed to be just Sailor V doing her investigations?])

But yes, it's pretty much a "What I'd like to do" question from press junkets--themed to the motif of "Favorite old 80's/90's cartoons", for TMNT--that immediately gets blown up into "The star just scooped the latest plans!" Rolling Eyes
So no, no relation to that live-action project Geena Davis wanted to do for her daughter, back when the 90's show was first on TV and most people didn't know it was Japanese. (And had other rights issues.)
...Sigh--We were that close to Geena Davis as Queen Beryl. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by EricJ2 on Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
This is was suppose to be elliminated when the world went HD 1080i, but sadly when converting anologue SD to HD the converters don't compensate, ( "because we don't need to worry about that anymore, Right?") wrong. -_- It was a constant battle with US sat feeds and our MCR not compensating for crushed blacks. I was constantly remindng them, to watch the pluge and lift it. Not so much now that they have gotten use to it.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:56 pm Reply with quote
OK, I don't know why the rumor of Megan Fox playing Sailor Moon has popped up, it's not true and it's just all talk and no basis from the showbiz industry. It's just nothing but rumor, so put it to rest. Megan Fox playing Sailor Moon will never happen now or in the future. So can we put this rumor down the drain. The live-action Sailor Moon from Toei was tolerable, I don't see a Hollywood version being any different.

The only thing I'll say about Megan Fox is that she has a good taste in anime, but there's no way I want her to play Sailor Moon ever.

Now back to the other question and answer:

Regarding Elizabeth's question: I agreed with Justin here, it's all about the wider audiences, I can agree with Justin with this statement:

Justin 'Answerman' Servakis wrote:
But, Hollywood makes what sells to the biggest, most reliable audience possible, and then gets stuck in whatever mode tastes land in. And so too does Japan.

and oh I want to also quote this from Justin:

Quote:
Believe me, I sympathize. I also love me some easily digestible Shounen and Shoujo goodness, but the fact of the matter is, once you get to a certain age, your brain wants more mature stories too.

Same thing for me. I got tired of the constant bombardment of fanservice in anime.

Regarding Jeremy's question: I never knew about that, probably because I never paid attention to that technical detail.

Regarding Kimiko's question: I have nothing to add but I'll say I'm not surprised by this. Kudo to Kimiko for sending in that question.

This week Answerman was very interesting to read today. Thanks Justin. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GVman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and those of us that do tend to be busy with jobs and kids, and don't buy as much related stuff, by and large

I figured adult bought more stuff, in general, than teenaged fans. Granted, I probably shouldn't lump "single 20-year-olds with disposable income" in with "married 30-year-olds with kids and a mortgage." I'd still say the 30-year-olds likely buy more than teenagers on average, though.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I think part of what makes people get into Sailor Moon to begin with is that the visuals are not something that would work smoothly in live-action. There was the live-action tv show, but it didn't capture the same style that really made the manga and anime so captivating. I think it's why it was such a great gateway title for those nineties fans - it's something that really made use of just being animated.

BUTTT if we got a movie of Geena Davis vs. Megan Fox I would be more than amused.

In regards to Josei, I'm reminded of how thankful I am that Noitamina exists. It's not really the same thing as when it started, but at least we managed to get some really great josei (and seinen) titles over the years and there is still potential for more in the future. Princess Jellyfish did seem to be more popular in the long run than I expected it to be based on the concept and art style.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
While inscrutable color-level issues are definitely an issue with North American releases, there are more obvious mistakes and deliberate sabotage affecting video over here. Like trying to fit 12 episodes on a single disc, encoding in 1080i, over-aggressive DNR, encoding pillarboxed DVDs, getting subpar non-remastered sources, DVD-only releases of legitimately-HD material where Blu-Rays exist in Japan, and getting the TV broadcast version on some shows.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
While inscrutable color-level issues are definitely an issue with North American releases, there are more obvious mistakes and deliberate sabotage affecting video over here. Like trying to fit 12 episodes on a single disc, encoding in 1080i, over-aggressive DNR, encoding pillarboxed DVDs, getting subpar non-remastered sources, DVD-only releases of legitimately-HD material where Blu-Rays exist in Japan, and getting the TV broadcast version on some shows.

Yep that's true, I don't know if these issue will ever be resolved.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Girly girls in frills and wielding cute pink and bejeweled weapons, regardless of how ass-kicking they may be, would just never fly in Hollywood. Their outfits would be replaced with black leather and they'd carry guns to blend in with all of the other trash YA out there.

Sad, but true. I just can't see a Sailor Moon movie working without turning it into some Sucker Punch-style abomination. I already expect the Power Rangers movie to look horrendous. The last Power Rangers movie they did turned their suits into some armor-looking superhero costumes, so I'd be surprised if they even look anything remotely like the Zyuranger outfits in the reboot. It'll probably try to copy the Avengers or Batman or something.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Sad, but true. I just can't see a Sailor Moon movie working without turning it into some Sucker Punch-style abomination. I already expect the Power Rangers movie to look horrendous. The last Power Rangers movie they did turned their suits into some armor-looking superhero costumes, so I'd be surprised if they even look anything remotely like the Zyuranger outfits in the reboot. It'll probably try to copy the Avengers or Batman or something.

A Hollywoodified Sailor Moon would likely make Tuxedo Mask get more of the spotlight from the other Sailor Soldiers barring Usagi because Hollywood loves highlighting the main pairing. There's also a very possible scenario of them adding some hackneyed pseudo political and social undertones under the impression that's what most Westerners want in all their movies nowadays. Plus points if they cast everyone except a token Asian as White as snow. In other words, it would still be a trainwreck only Corporate Hollywood style.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4