• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Exports of 'Cool Japan' Anime, Dramas Jump 30%

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of surprised that remake rights make up almost as big a slice of the pie (7.3%) as home video rights (8.6%). No surprise to see the growth in streaming rights, though.
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Great news. I'm hoping this steady increase will have Japan finally realize the potential of anime and manga in America. So if a series doesn't do so well in Japan, it can still be a success in America and elsewhere without them having to cancel it. But I feel like that's just a far-fetched dream.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this is talking about stuff like Space Dandy which lit it up on Cartoon Network in a way anime hasn't in quite a while.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
infamoustakai wrote:
Great news. I'm hoping this steady increase will have Japan finally realize the potential of anime and manga in America. So if a series doesn't do so well in Japan, it can still be a success in America and elsewhere without them having to cancel it. But I feel like that's just a far-fetched dream.

Even if that's the case, because many series are aimed for the Japanese audiences, they still might cancel it if it doesn't do well in its homeland.
thennarynak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I hope this will give companies more incentive to getting J-dramas out on streaming sites. I've been excited with Fuji TV starting to get its dramas out on CR and I would love to see more. Especially since there are so many dramas that are based on manga series you would think it would not be too hard to tap into the existing anime fanbase a bit. In fact shoujo fans would probably benefit the most as those series tend to be made into dramas over anime series.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Asia and Japan had many odd game shows and sports. I saw one sport where there was a volley ball net and two teams only allowed to use feet to get the ball back and forth, a whole lot of flipping and gymnastics and it was neat to watch due to the skill.

Also odd game shows never thought of here state side folks getting slapped with fish and groups sitting on the toilet and while we had no idea what they were saying we as teens watched anyway!
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
OK, I'm reading this article right now (just got this info from ANN via Twitter), it does look promising but I think they should do more. I want to point that out:

ANN wrote:
The data comes from the ministry's poll of 179 broadcasting companies. The export values include 45.1% broadcasting rights, 14.8% internet streaming rights, 8.6% home video licenses, 7.3% remake rights, 23.3% merchandising, 0.9% other rights.

OK so judging from this report, it looks like Japanese production (majority of them) still don't trust internet streaming.

Quote:
The Asahi Shimbun cites the rise of internet streaming, which only accounted for 6.7% of 2012's total, the declining value of the yen as factors in the increase.

OK this part I will agree.

ANN wrote:
Anime made up the largest portion of the export values at 8.6 billion yen (US$71 million), followed by dramas at 2.1 billion yen (US$17 million) and variety shows at 1.8 billion yen (US$15 million). The export values also include documentaries, sports, and other programming.

OK nice to know anime is making up majority of the profit. But the drama and variety show export baffle me. Last time I check, Dramafever doesn't have any J-variety show so who is picking up those Japanese variety shows?

About the J-dramas, I know Crunchyroll and Dramafever has been picking up several J-dramas but most of these are from Fuji TV, and some from NHK. I don't see a lot of J-dramas are being picking up even the most popular aren't even pick up (except the 2 with Johnny idols we have on CR). Even in South America where Korean dramas are super popular, and Taiwanese dramas are catching up to gain audiences in Latin America. I never seen or heard of J-dramas being shown on Latin American TVs unlike their Korean and Taiwanese counterpart (I'll explain more below what I mean).

Quote:
Other Asian nations accounted for 7.2 billion yen (US$59 million) of the total exports, while North America accounted for 3.5 billion yen (US$29 million), Europe for 2.6 billion yen (US$21 million), and South America for 0.3 billion yen (US$2 million).

This one I won't dispute.

Quote:
Japan's broadcast content export values have increased every year since 2010. In spite of the rise, South Korea's export values of broadcast content, mostly drama, are still nearly double Japan's.

This part I agree. Japan really needs to export their dramas more, and also my other problem is that Japanese films are not being picked up (I'll explain more below).

Quote:
The Japanese government and various companies are supporting the "Cool Japan" program that promotes modern Japanese culture such as anime and manga abroad. The program revolves around the premise that Japan's strength in business and international affairs lies in anime, manga, films, fashion, and other fields of Japanese arts and entertainment content. Cool Japan Fund Inc. announced in October that it would invest 14 billion yen (about US$128.1 million) in four overseas projects focused on raising demand for Japanese products and goods.

If Cool Japan wants to do more, I got some suggestions which might help:

-Put more J-pop/J-music on Itunes and Spotify. I mean as Answerman pointed out, labels are reluctant to put up J-music on Itunes. Even Taiwanese pop can be found on US Itunes stores for me to buy.

-Also there should be more Youtube channel for J-pop if they want J-pop to grow and to rival K-pop. I mean I never seen Music Station, Music Fair, or FNS Music Festival having a Youtube channel to broadcast their shows to a global audiences unlike MBC, SBS, KBS (and KBS World where I can watch all full episodes of Music Bank and K-pop performance), and Mnet. I can watch M! Countdown (another K-pop music show) on Mnet website or English subtitled on SoompiTV. If Japanese music program have their own Youtube channel and put up performances on there, then it could help J-pop gain a wider audiences beyond Asia.

-More J-pop/J-music concert outside of Japan/Asia. I mean it's very rare to see J-pop idols to perform outside of Japan and Asia, like for example A-nation has done 2 concerts outside of Japan and not one outside of Asia. Meanwhile K-pop concerts outside of Asia are becoming more frequent according to Billboard. Also there's been some high profile K-pop concerts outside of Asia that brought in a lot of audiences:

Music Bank in Brazil

Music Bank in Mexico trailer and preview.

Now there's going to be a big K-pop concert in the Netherlands next year.

-More J-dramas (including the most popular one, daily dramas) on Dramafever, Crunchyroll, Viki, and other legal streaming sites. I mean after Korean dramas got popular, Taiwan took advantage of the K-drama popularity. My goodness, even Hong Kong's TVB is cashing in on the drama fad that K-drama created. Why aren't Japanese companies exporting their dramas to South/Latin America to take advantage of the Korean drama popularity. The Korean pop culture in Latin America has gotten so big, even KBS World has launched KBS World Latino, a channel catered for Spanish speakers in Latin America (and has become the first Asian broadcaster to provide a Spanish-dubbed live-streaming service):

KBS World Latino launch trailer

KBS World Latino promotion trailer

Just recently (I think 2 years ago) Taiwan and Mainland China have taken advantages of the drama popularity that K-drama caused in Latin America to show off their dramas, like for example:

So why isn't NHK, Fuji TV, and other Japanese broadcaster exporting J-dramas to Latin America to take advantage of the drama popularity? As far as I know, I never heard of J-dramas being shown in Latin America. I read this interesting article here, and I'll quote:

Latin Media corp wrote:
Among the new acquired titles we have “Cásate Conmigo” and “Mundos Opuestos” which are practically almost finished dubbing and available at L.A. Screenings. These dramas join the ranks of successful titles such as: “Amor Azul”, “Mil Dias de Promesas”, “Tristeza en las Estrellas”, “Amor en Tiempo de Invasion”, “Chicas de Oficina”, “Pan, Amor & Sueños”, “Adonis, Flor de Invierno”, “Manny”, “Bella Solitaria”, “El Príncipe de la Pasta”, “Eternos Enamorados”, “Eun & sus 3 Chicos”, “Sinfonia de Amor”, “Como Aman los Hombres”, “300 Años de Amor”, “Mascara de Cristal”, entre otras.

I check all of these titles mention on that article, none of them are from Japan, the dramas listed above are either from South Korea or Taiwan or Mainland China. If Japan want to take themselves seriously on a global scale, why not export J-dramas to Latin America and put more J-dramas on legal streaming site like DF, CR, and Viki. NHK World should broadcast J-dramas, and anime without restriction (if you want to watch J-dramas and anime on NHK World, you have to watch it on NHK World premium or TV Japan which you have to pay more) Also despite NHK World having a Youtube channel, they don't put any of their show on there at all, compare that to KBS World (where I can watch all the dramas, variety shows, etc...) and SBS VOD where I can watch full shows without restriction. So if NHK World can learn from both KBS World and SBS VOD by putting their dramas on YT and add English subtitles, then that may help J-dramas to get a bigger fanbases beyond Asia.

-Also a lot of Japanese films (that has been released from 2011-current) hasn't been picked up on a global market. I believe Zac mention this on another thread:

Zac wrote:
There are a few trend stories out there right now about how Japanese films aren't marketable outside of Japan and how, aside from Ghibli output, they perform poorly in international film festivals. It's considered a handicap and something they need to fix if they want the kind of box office and prestige that comes from having internationally marketable product, but I'm not at all sure how the industry itself there is approaching that or if they even care.

Zac is correct on this and I noticed this too. On Dramafever, they have a big catalog of feature films from South Korea and Mainland China/Hong Kong. But there is not a single Japanese film on their catalog (don't count Genome Hazard and After War, they're co-production between Japan and South Korea so it doesn't count as a Japanese films) aside from J-dramas. Even on Hulu, the Japanese film catalog consists of classic one, and films that came out before 2011, I can find only a few recent Japanese films. We don't have Thermae Romae on Hulu or Dramafever at all. Also Funimation used to pick up a lot of Japanese films, but around 2011, they stopped picking them up (except recently the live-action Space Battleship Yamato), Funimation picked up non-Japanese live-action film after that. Meanwhile Korean and Chinese films are getting global spotlight then their Japanese counterpart.

I'll say this: it's great Japan's export has increased a bit thanks to the weakened yen, but if they want to rival South Korea (and also Taiwan) they have to start taking dramas, films, and music export more seriously. Because Japan is now in recession and their GDP are not good, they need to do something about that and the international/global market can help Japan's content industry.

Last edited by mdo7 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:24 pm; edited 12 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Not surprising to see that out of the total exported value (¥13.8 Billion), about 62.319% (¥8.6 Billion) were anime-related. Additionally, 45.1% (about ¥6.2238 Billion) were from broadcasting rights and 14.8% (about ¥2.0424 Billion) were from internet streaming right.
I have the feeling that the Venn diagram with the overlapping Anime-Broadcast and Anime-Internet Streaming portions will increase for the foreseeable future.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
infamoustakai wrote:

Unlikely. The only series this would lead to is marketing toyline series like the American produced BeyWheelz cartoon. Those have merchandise to help justify the cost. I have never heard of streaming money being anywhere close to enough to justify more series.

-Stuart Smith
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
infamoustakai wrote:

The figures are for worldwide export values, not just America. For example: "45.1% broadcasting rights, 14.8% internet streaming rights, 8.6% home video licenses, "

The US has good chunk of the streaming and home video pie, shared with France, Germany, but TV broadcasting is the largest export %. And that is mostly for countries which still regularly broadcast anime on TV like Asia, parts of Europe, etc. So I think you are overstating the significance of US viewer influence on anime without non-Japanese investors or partners.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm reading the original article on Asashi Shimbun (I've already gave my thought on the ANN article), and I'll quote these and add my thought:

Ryo Shimura/ Staff Writer of Asashi Shimbum wrote:
Export values include a variety of rights aside from broadcasting, such as rights to produce DVDs, rights to remake programs with new casts and rights to use the images of characters for merchandise.

Well I do know several J-dramas that has been remade into K-dramas, also we've seen K-drama adaptation of Notabile Cantabile and Liar Game but what other countries are remaking J-dramas? That's what I like to know.

Quote:
Exported TV dramas, which included "Amachan," "Hanzawa Naoki" and "Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger," accounted for 2.1 billion yen. Variety show exports followed in third place at 1.8 billion yen.

I know Amachan got picked up in other Asian countries. I know Hanzawa Naoki is going to be shown on CR soon. What baffle me is who got Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger (other then US adapting it)?? Also 2.1 billion Yen, how did they get this and there's no way streaming can make that much money, and I know Drama licensing and broadcasting outside of Japan is limited to Asian countries, so how could they have gotten 2.1 billion Yen. but as I mention in my previous post I never heard of Latin America picking up J-dramas and Dramafever and CR just picked up several of them.

Quote:
However, South Korea's export values of broadcast content, 90 percent of which are Korean dramas, are still nearly double that of Japan.

K-pop sales are also going up too for the last 3 years, and it's expected to continue to rise according to this report. South Korea have already expand the budget to support the content industry (which include music, film, TV drama production).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryan227

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
For years Japan simply just did not care about selling any of their shows overseas, they were focused only on themselves. And honestly when you compare Japan and Korea it's obvious that Korea NEEDS to market overseas because it's such a small country.

I'm somewhat hopeful for the future of streaming JDramas though. I've been in to JDramas and other live action for quite a few years now and it's hard. Compared to anime the JDrama fanbase is tiny and it can be crazy difficult to find raws and subs for a lot of shows and now with the piracy crack down it's even harder Sad However I've certainly noticed an uptick of JDramas being being streamed lately. Before when I looked at Crunchyroll and Dramafever I never would have considered subscribing because I'm not in to KDramas and the only JDramas were some random late night ones that I just wasn't interested in but now they're getting more and more prime time shows and I've even signed up for Dramafever because I want to support that. Maybe they are starting out with mostly Fuji shows but it's not a bad place to start because Fuji has a lot of the more popular dramas (plus the show I'm watching on it right now is NTV so...) I'd really love to see TV Asahi and TBS jump on (because I love their dramas!) and also a streaming service totally devoted to Japanese live action, but the situation is better than it was a year ago and I think a year from now it'll be even better.

As for JMusic, well I have less hope for that! Haha in fact I think I notice LESS Japanese music on itunes every time I look for it. As much as I'd love to see my favorite groups do a world tour they simply do not have to. The Japanese industry though weakened is still strong enough to support their own groups, for them doing concerts overseas is just a waste of time and money. I do wish some music shows would be streamed and subbed though.

Quote:
Well I do know several J-dramas that has been remade into K-dramas, also we've seen K-drama adaptation of Notabile Cantabile and Liar Game but what other countries are remaking J-dramas? That's what I like to know.

Taiwan has.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Ryan227 wrote:
For years Japan simply just did not care about selling any of their shows overseas, they were focused only on themselves. And honestly when you compare Japan and Korea it's obvious that Korea NEEDS to market overseas because it's such a small country.

Well Japan will need to start to take the international market seriously, their GDP are not really good:

you wrote:
I'm somewhat hopeful for the future of streaming JDramas though. I've been in to JDramas and other live action for quite a few years now and it's hard. Compared to anime the JDrama fanbase is tiny and it can be crazy difficult to find raws and subs for a lot of shows and now with the piracy crack down it's even harder Sad However I've certainly noticed an uptick of JDramas being being streamed lately. Before when I looked at Crunchyroll and Dramafever I never would have considered subscribing because I'm not in to KDramas and the only JDramas were some random late night ones that I just wasn't interested in but now they're getting more and more prime time shows and I've even signed up for Dramafever because I want to support that. Maybe they are starting out with mostly Fuji shows but it's not a bad place to start because Fuji has a lot of the more popular dramas (plus the show I'm watching on it right now is NTV so...) I'd really love to see TV Asahi and TBS jump on (because I love their dramas!) and also a streaming service totally devoted to Japanese live action, but the situation is better than it was a year ago and I think a year from now it'll be even better.

Looks like you and I share similar thought. Yes I would love to see all of these, I mean South Korea is playing this game better. As I said, after K-dramas got very popular outside of Asia; Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Mainland China are cashing in on the drama fad K-drama caused. Japan is very late at this. Even now, J-dramas are not shown in Latin America. I would love NHK World to upload all their shows on Youtube like KBS World does. But to be honest, I'm not sure if Japan will export more J-dramas outside of Asia, they don't know a good market when they see one.

Quote:
As for JMusic, well I have less hope for that! Haha in fact I think I notice LESS Japanese music on itunes every time I look for it. As much as I'd love to see my favorite groups do a world tour they simply do not have to. The Japanese industry though weakened is still strong enough to support their own groups, for them doing concerts overseas is just a waste of time and money. I do wish some music shows would be streamed and subbed though.

I got bad news, Japan's music sales has been going down for the last few years according to a recent Billboard article.

Japan's music sale was very bad, it effected the global music sales:

Wall Street Journal

The Independent

BBC News

Fortune

Japan can't keep this market self-sustained forever because of the population shrinking, the yen has weakened, the tax hikes in Japan did it's job of making people not buying a lot, and their GDP are very bad. Not only that Japan knows they've lost their cool to South Korea already. Also because of Japan's reluctance to globalize J-pop outside of Asia, and allowed K-pop to do that. South Korea became the 10th largest market in the world. I don't know how long can Japan sustain it's #2 giving that the tax hike, weakened yen, GDP going down, not going digital, or not taking the global market seriously.

you wrote:
I wrote:

Taiwan has.

I wasn't aware Taiwan has remade J-dramas. Shocked

Thanks for that, is it OK if you can show me a link that Taiwan has remade J-dramas.
Yause

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't necessarily call them remakes of J-drama (i.e. original properties specific to Japanese TV), but there are live-action manga adaptations. It Started With a Kiss is one of the better known ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Manga-based_Taiwanese_dramas
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Yause wrote:
I wouldn't necessarily call them remakes of J-drama (i.e. original properties specific to Japanese TV), but there are live-action manga adaptations. It Started With a Kiss is one of the better known ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Manga-based_Taiwanese_dramas

Well ANN has compiled a list of Taiwanese (and Korean) dramas adaptation of anime/manga a few months back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5