• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cardcaptor Sakura Book of Revised Key Frames to be Sold at Comiket 87

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:44 am Reply with quote
Oh cool. Didn't they have something like this years ago? I know that they had artbooks by Clamp, but i guess those were their illustrations vs the animation style. But since it says revised I wonder if it's like a reprint of a previous publication.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
I bet this will fetch a pretty penny on Yahoo Japan Auctions.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
Key frames are not "guidelines for animators animating scenes." They are an integral part of pose-to-pose animation (as opposed to straight through animation).

The key animators draw the integral poses of the shot (the key frames), and then the in-betweeners go and fill the gaps in between those. Calling them "guidelines" is very misleading to the method that animation is done in, and implies that they aren't actual parts of the animation.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Oh cool. Didn't they have something like this years ago?

I remember seeing something very similar in another news article here not too long ago because I really wanted it.

Dessa wrote:
Key frames are not "guidelines for animators animating scenes." They are an integral part of pose-to-pose animation (as opposed to straight through animation).

The key animators draw the integral poses of the shot (the key frames), and then the in-betweeners go and fill the gaps in between those. Calling them "guidelines" is very misleading to the method that animation is done in, and implies that they aren't actual parts of the animation.

I've read that the inbetweeners redraw the key frames as well. I've seen plenty of genga that are full of notes and pencil shading that can't possible be used as-is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
rainwithsunshine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Here is the old article for Comiket 85: animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-12-12/special-cardcaptor-sakura-artbooks-at-comiket-85

I really wanted these books, too!
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Oh I so want this!
Siliva

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

I've read that the inbetweeners redraw the key frames as well. I've seen plenty of genga that are full of notes and pencil shading that can't possible be used as-is.

They clean up the key frames, yeah. That being said, the key frames are integral to the actual motion of the characters--the inbetweening is more like the menial work that smooths out the motion. Clean up is often a separate task from inbetweening in western animation, but the norm in Japan seems to be combine the two.

On the whole the key frames can be more called "animation" than the inbetweens are. Both are very integral though.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see what sketches they chose for each book (both this and the first book). It would be nice to see if any of the cels I own are showcased there.
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:00 pm Reply with quote
First of all, you don't need Yahoo Auction to buy those books. You still have to use proxy service to purchase one, but it's better to buy in bulk instead of single volume.

I purchased "Nagi no Asukara" 3 art book set (1 production art book and 2 key animation art books) from PA Works website through proxy service. They included nice bonuses for pre-order.

Cutiebunny wrote:
I'd love to see what sketches they chose for each book (both this and the first book). It would be nice to see if any of the cels I own are showcased there.

Regarding Card Captor Sakura art books from Anime Style, you only need the first book, "Revised Key Frames...", if you just want to compare your cels. Chances are, you may or may not find the matching drawing as only the few hundred best selections are chosen by animation director (Sakuga Kantoku) out of thousands of drawings. So good luck with that.

Second book and Third book are just collection of production drawings, including character and prop designs, not actual cel drawings like the first book.

@Bamboo Dong
These 3 books themselves are not Comiket exclusives. Whatever bonus trinkets included with books are the actual exclusives. Heck anyone can order these books from Anime Style Online store through proxy services.

Anime Style Online Store
http://animestyle.jp/shop/
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:27 am Reply with quote
Siliva wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:

They clean up the key frames, yeah. That being said, the key frames are integral to the actual motion of the characters--the inbetweening is more like the menial work that smooths out the motion. Clean up is often a separate task from inbetweening in western animation, but the norm in Japan seems to be combine the two.

On the whole the key frames can be more called "animation" than the inbetweens are. Both are very integral though.

I've heard that the Animation Director does the corrections, which I assume involves cleaning up. There was a great presentation on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ikHAMDbXlc
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1