• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Out of 10,000 People Surveyed, 23% Are Self-Proclaimed Otaku

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
That's really interesting to read. So only 10,000 people surveyed. I wondered if it's bigger if the whole population was survey. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Most pollsters consider 10,000 people an accurate survey size with a +/-5% margin for error.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
Most pollsters consider 10,000 people an accurate survey size with a +/-5% margin for error.

Yeah I know, but I would like to see if there's more if it's beyond 10,000 samples.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
VORTIA wrote:

Yeah I know, but I would like to see if there's more if it's beyond 10,000 samples.

Same because the number is probably way smaller if sample size is bigger
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Oh lord, Idol Otaku being the fastest growing variant of Otaku, I wish the concept of "purity" was phased out of the idol culture a while ago because it's going to breed more crazies, it's not doing that part of the subculture any good.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Oh lord, Idol Otaku being the fastest growing variant of Otaku, I wish the concept of "purity" was phased out of the idol culture a while ago because it's going to breed more crazies, it's not doing that part of the subculture any good.

Oh how much do I agree, but it is the easiest way to make money even if it brings the crazies.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
sailorsweeper wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

Oh how much do I agree, but it is the easiest way to make money even if it brings the crazies.

"Bring 'em close, but keep 'em at arm's length"
OtakunX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I think what needs defined here is now a days what is considered an otaku in modern Japanese culture. It seems, to me anyway, that an otaku is much more serious of a fan then you would find over here in the US. I have friends that consider themselves otaku simply because they watch a lot of anime but from what I have seen from videos, anime/drama references, and biographies that an otaku in their culture is much more serious where they devotes much of their life to the fandom and surround themselves within it like plastering their walls with tons of posters and figures everywhere of certain characters they enjoy.

If 23% (within margin) of the population related to that degree of fandom then I do find that to be a pretty large number.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Generally, Japanese tend to have fewer hobbies, but those few hobbies they have, they can tend to be more obsessive, probably because it's few.

Unless the bar on this poll is what amounts to a geek. Geek is chic nowadays. Some of the richest, most powerful people today are geeks and proud of it.
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
It might be worth having a look at the figures quoted at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otaku#Types_and_classification_of_Japanese_otaku in comparison to the ANN article.
Gurgeh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I wonder where they categorize Miku Hatsune ? In the Idol or Vocaloid market segments ? She could obviously be in both.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Gurgeh wrote:
I wonder where they categorize Miku Hatsune ? In the Idol or Vocaloid market segments ? She could obviously be in both.

For virtual idol, that's hard to categorize, so yeah maybe it's both.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
This is why I call myself an Anime fan rather than an Otaku. Since Otaku covers a wider range of interests.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
VORTIA wrote:

Do you want the question included on their next census form (does the Japanese government do those?)? ^^
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:

Do you want the question included on their next census form (does the Japanese government do those?)? ^^

That would be nice if the Japanese govt can add that on their next census form if they do it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2