• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Exports of 'Cool Japan' Anime, Dramas Jump 30%

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
^
Agreed. I'm sure there's still plenty of media left out there that Japan has yet to share internationally.

It's weird to me being able to watch Japanese movies with English subtitles on Singapore Airlines flights to and from Japan that are neither released on blu-ray / DVD anywhere with English subtitles nor shown on television or in cinemas in any English speaking country with English subtitles (not even at Japanese film festivals).
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
^
Agreed. I'm sure there's still plenty of media left out there that Japan has yet to share internationally.

It's weird to me being able to watch Japanese movies with English subtitles on Singapore Airlines flights to and from Japan that are neither released on blu-ray / DVD anywhere with English subtitles nor shown on television or in cinemas in any English speaking country with English subtitles (not even at Japanese film festivals).

Omiya that's the big issue, a lot of Japanese films hasn't gotten release outside of Japan/Asia. I mean as I mention, on Dramafever, there's no Japanese films at all (when I can find a big catalog of Korean and Chinese cinema), and Funimation hasn't picked up Japanese films (except Space battleship Yamato) for the last 2 or 3 years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I think it's less "Japan" not offering but "The West" not demanding. There are many Japanese movies released on DVD in Hong Kong or South Korea (and actually France and Italy) that haven't been released elsewhere or at least earlier.

For example Nana (2005) was released not long after its Japanese release in Hong Kong, Taiwan and South Korea and Mika Nakashima and Ryuhei Matsuda even promoted the movie in Hong Kong. IMDB shows it had some sort of USA release in 2008 but I don't think it's because, its Japanese company had forbidden its release before that.

Other movies, which have been released earlier in Asia (excluding Japan) and some European countries than The US include Space Battleship Yamato and Rurouni Kenshin. To my knowledge there still isn't an American release for Only Yesterday or Ocean Waves, AKA I can hear the sea, but you can't blame Ghibli or Japan for that.

One non-Japanese example, who had difficulties at conquering Western (or at least American) market but had it somewhat easier in Japan is Jackie Chan. Other than dubbing, his movies didn't even have to be changed for the Japanese audience, for example Japanese DVDs for Drunken Master II and Police Story III are the original Hong Kong versions. Only after teaming up with American comedians, he's found mainstream popularity in the States but those movies didn't do as well in Asia so he's still had to make movies in Hong Kong and China to maintain his original audience.
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
I think it's less "Japan" not offering but "The West" not demanding.

To my knowledge there still isn't an American release for Only Yesterday or Ocean Waves, AKA I can hear the sea, but you can't blame Ghibli or Japan for that.

They were both released in Australia through Madman, who also release some Japanese and East Asian movies:
http://www.madman.com.au/actions/catalogue.do?method=browse&labelId=57&sortKey=3

I'd almost prefer the Japanese movies other than the likes of Gantz and Yamato to be released in Japan only region free but with subtitles in multiple languages.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I have two Australian anime DVDs, of which Space Firebird 2772/Phoenix 2772 isn't released anywhere else and Osamu Tezuka's Experimental Films was released earlier than in the US. Some of my UK anime DVDs seem to be basically the same releases as the Australian ones, or at least they credit Madman Entertainment.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
@ Ryo Hazuki, I think you need to read one of my post on another thread, I cited a Variety article why Japanese films aren't getting a lot of releases in the US and outside of Asia, I'll quote this in case if you don't want to read all of it:

I wrote:
Somebody from another thread showed me an article from Variety, I thought of reposting the link here and it match my observation about the problem with Japanese film industry. I think Takeshi Kitano could be on to something here.

Mark Shilling of Variety wrote:
The way that films are made in Japan may be to blame.

Most commercial films are produced by TV networks and other media companies in a system of “production committees” (or seisaku iinkai) in which partners share investment, PR and other chores in return for a share of the profits. Six or eight partners, ranging from video distributors to radio broadcasters and advertising agencies, is common. And 12 partners is not uncommon.

A lot of these so-called producers (on the production committee) are not film people and don’t know how to read a script,” adds Inoue. “In a film you can say a lot without words, but these guys don’t get that. And when they say ‘I don’t understand,’ someone has to add explanations to the script. The film becomes longer — and more boring.

Another reason for the bloat in Japanese commercial films, says Inoue, is their origin in material from other media, including door-stopper bestsellers and long-running comics. “The publishers have too much power,” he explains. “They demand faithfulness (to the original material) and no one tries to fight them.” It didn’t always used to be this way, he adds. “Directors used to have fierce battles with creators (of original material), but that’s no longer the case. Everyone is just trying to get along.”

Japanese audiences, typically a patient group, will show up for long-winded, defanged pics, but foreign audiences are less tolerant. “These self-censored films have never been accepted by the overseas market,” says Takamatsu. “The free creativity seen in films by Miike, Kitano, Sono and others has produced better results overseas.

EDIT: One more thing I saw on the Variety article:

Quote:

While some argue that with such a big domestic market, the Japanese biz can afford to regard foreign sales as simply the mint after the banquet, Takashi Nishimura, who as managing director of UniJapan is responsible for promoting Japanese film abroad thinks differently.

“(The Japanese film industry feels) a sense of crisis that the domestic market is no longer enough,” Nishimura said last year at the Intl. Film Festival of India in Goa. “But Japanese films are made only for Japanese.

So that explains why Japanese films are not being picked up and distributed internationally (and failing at impression at international film festivals like Zac stated), and that explain why Korean and Chinese films are gaining more traction globally then Japanese films.

I think this is the Japanese side that are the one not marketing their films outside of Asia. As I said, I'm seeing Dramafever only has catalog of Korean and Chinese film, no Japanese film despite having some catalog of J-dramas. I mean Dramafever doesn't even have Thermae Romae, it's like Japanese film industry don't trust internet streaming unlike their Korean and Chinese counterpart.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Now I know why Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind was edited into Warriors of the Wind and Corman's company shortened Galaxy Express 999 movie. The Americans are just trying to make the Japanese movies watchable. Too bad that Miyazaki didn't let Harvey Sweinstein to cut Princess Mononoke. It would have been a great success. Damn you, nationalistic Japanese pride and galapagos syndrome!
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
Now I know why Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind was edited into Warriors of the Wind and Corman's company shortened Galaxy Express 999 movie. The Americans are just trying to make the Japanese movies watchable. Too bad that Miyazaki didn't let Harvey Sweinstein to cut Princess Mononoke. It would have been a great success. Damn you, nationalistic Japanese pride and galapagos syndrome!

I'm afraid it's beyond that. Funimation used to pick up Japanese films, but as I mention after 2010 (or 2011, I don't recall), they stopped picking up films from Japan, the only exception this year is the live-action Space Battleship Yamato, but other then that they never picked up other Japanese films. Funimation started to pick up Chinese films, and 2 Korean films. Funimation isn't the only one, I remember Magnolia films and Well Go USA used to pick up Japanese films too but they stopped picking them up (however, Magnolia Films did get Beyond Outrage this year), since then they only focus picking up Chinese and Korean films. Well Go USA picked up Kundo for the US release, they've also picked up another Korean film, Trafficker, and a Chinese film, Once upon a time in Shanghai just recently for US release.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm just wondering, what do you gain out of Japan caring about marketing films overseas? Do you actually care or is it just some pissing contest at this point?

It comes down to design philosophy. Western movies are developed to generate money and attract in the widest audience with the lowest common denominator. While a lot of Japanese movies often appeal to specific niches that are very good at satisfying a smaller, but loyal, group of customers. Why then, as a consumer who spends a lot of time watching movies would you ever choose the lowest common denominator instead of something targetted specifically at you with differential appeal? It makes no sense from a consumer standpoint. Seeing that quote of "they demand faithfulness (to the original material) and no one tries to fight them” being used as some kind of negative is staggaring, and just reeks of Hollywood suits. Faithfulness to source material is bad now? It may be limiting the appeal to fans of the source material, but again, how is that bad as a consumer? Part of the reason I love anime or manga movies and movies based on TV series like Garo, Kamen Rider are because they are actually faithful and are in continuity with the TV series usually.

If we're truly getting to the point where people are saying we should censor and edit films like Princess Mononoke, then that's where we need to stop and evaluate just what our priorities are. If that's what people think it'll take, then maybe the west isn't ready for Japanese movies yet.

-Stuart Smith
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I'm just wondering, what do you gain out of Japan caring about marketing films overseas? Do you actually care or is it just some pissing contest at this point?

It comes down to design philosophy. Western movies are developed to generate money and attract in the widest audience with the lowest common denominator. While a lot of Japanese movies often appeal to specific niches that are very good at satisfying a smaller, but loyal, group of customers. Why then, as a consumer who spends a lot of time watching movies would you ever choose the lowest common denominator instead of something targetted specifically at you with differential appeal? It makes no sense from a consumer standpoint. Seeing that quote of "they demand faithfulness (to the original material) and no one tries to fight them” being used as some kind of negative is staggaring, and just reeks of Hollywood suits. Faithfulness to source material is bad now? It may be limiting the appeal to fans of the source material, but again, how is that bad as a consumer? Part of the reason I love anime or manga movies and movies based on TV series like Garo, Kamen Rider are because they are actually faithful and are in continuity with the TV series usually.

Because a lot of Korean and Chinese films have gotten release (both home video and streaming on sits like Dramafever) in the US when Japanese films getting license in the US is very rare these day. I mean go to Dramafever and you don't see any Japanese films (aside from J-dramas, and 2 co-production films between Korea and Japan) on there at all when they have Korean and Chinese films only.

You never watched any Japanese films, have you??
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Yep, all American movies are made just like that. Yep completly. All American movies are Transformers and offer no creative and artistic creation to them. All American movies are just made to appeal to everyone and are thus very bland movies. Nothing like the glorious Nippon movies who's mainstream blockbusters are filled with the same troupes to appeal to Japanese audiences. Yep Japan is so much better.

Do you ever stop Staurt Smith or am I the only one who see's your awful shtick?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:00 am Reply with quote
Doesn't anyone else think that Ghibli made kind of a dick move by not asking from Disney what would be appropriate for Amer- oops, I mean Western audiences, when making Only Yesterday? I think Isao Takahata might have caught Galapagos virus from one of his holidays. If you edited out the boring and questionable scenes and added Psy's Gangnam style MV at the end, it would be a world wide hit, even in the West, where it's never been released on DVD or Blu-ray.

I also think Hirokazu Koreeda made a mistake by not shooting Like Father, Like a Son in the US with American cast in English. Like it has been stated, Japan doesn't allow it's movies to be shown abroad, which is why you can Like Father, Like a Son only by visiting the country. He must have caught the Galapagos virus from the same place as Takahata.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
To Ryo Hazuki, a little off topic but relate to film/cinema. The Korean film Cart, which came out in South Korean cinema last month is going to get a special screening in Texas. Texas has been a hot ground for Korean pop culture recently like Topp Dogg a 13 member K-pop boy group is coming to Texas according to Billboard and Kpopstarz.

So that makes me question if my prediction if Funimation could jump (as in "cashing in", given that they are friends with VIXX 2 years back) onto the Korean pop culture fad could really happen.
Anti_Nadalista

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Fedora-san wrote:

Also, mdo7, you might want to stop using Gangnam Style as if it's some achievement. You realize most Americans only like that song because they make fun of it, right? They find it hilarious and almost a mockery of Asian people. It's no different than William Hung's popularity back when American Idol aired him. Here's a fun little article about the subject. And also another interesting blog post about it, especially the Tiger JK incident. Makes a good point on why Psy of all people had a one hit wonder song in the US compared to Korea's other singers and the surrounding stereotypes and racism surrounding what whites expect Asians to be like. It's actually a bad thing Gangnam Style is so popular.

Actually Gangnam Style did a lot more positive then negative. accroding to Billboard. Actually K-pop is a lot bigger then you think. If it's not big then how did Girls Generation won the Youtube Music video award when no J-pop act was able to do it. Geez even Super Junior won MTV Italy award which something I never seen from J-pop. I would like to argue more but I'm not going to waste time over this.

Ryo Hazuki wrote:
The only point of the many baffling points I have the energy to address is to ask, why would Perfume sign with Cube, when they're already signed globally with Universal, which has branches all over the world (one of them being Universal Korea) and why would they perform in English, when they wanted to have some Japanese lyrics to their only English language song, Spending all my time?

As I said, it's a hypothetical situation, I don't expect this to become true. Don't take my "what if" as a true thing.

People still talking about about low music sales but America is in worse condition, even digital sales are plummeting. I don´t trust western sources, they are most of the time wrong or clueless and i have my own sources anyway.

Japanese are "irrelevant" in Itunes but Laruku and X-japan played a gig in the arena of the MSG and they didn't have a marketing machine or a viral video behind them.

Latin america don't love Koreans dramas that much, they are niche. Brazil and Colombia are actually dominating the market of dramas in the region.

Sales in America are so low that Babymetal debut was one of the best selling albums in the rock genre this year Anime hyper. One Ok Rock had a tour in latin america this past month and a lot people went to their concerts, same with The Gazette last year.

Laruku is the biggest Japanese band overseas IMO, they are really popular in Latin America and it´s a shame that they didn't play there in the last World Tour. Chile is the biggest market for Japanese and Korean acts AFAIK, a Laruku Concert in Chile will have many people from all the region going.

One Ok Rock could be in Laruku level in the future if they play their cards right.

I want to see Classic Japanese films in Dramafever, people will see actually good films for once in that site Anime hyper.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Careful with blanket statements, particularly when presented with obvious and extreme bias. You can't sit there saying "I don't trust sources and have my own sources" because no sources are presented and no credible supporting argument why sources you "don't trust" can't be trusted. Frankly, you've presented nothing here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5