• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Lord Marksman and Vanadis [2014-10-20]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:01 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Episode 11

Speaking of eye-rolling, I missed the explanation of WHY princess and bow guy were in the bath together.

best guess here is that being a princess, she had servants do everything for her, so she doesn't know how to properly bathe herself. So Tigre seemed like the right man for the job
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think the sleeping boob grab or the fact that he helped her bathe was really out of place for the show (though that they had a black censor bar for the boob grab seemed odd). I mean he sucked venom out of a breast, I want to say he grabbed one of them too, and he definitely saw more than one of the girls bathing.

However, after the comment 'what were you planning on doing if you ended up with gigantic breasts like hers?' was immediately followed by a side shot of the princess naked showing her gigantic breasts, I did do a mental face palm.

ikramit wrote:
If you plan on reading I recommend the light novel as the manga does add quite alot of fan service and quite a few major plot points are skipped.

I generally don't read manga based on a LN. I like anime adaptions because I get to hear and see everything in action. So even if I am familiar with the story, there is a new aspect to it (of course it seems like most of the adaptions do very little justice to the source). If its between two different ways to read something, usually the LN will have more info and is also exactly how the author created the work. I don't really feel like more pictures adds much.

Last edited by SilverTalon01 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
best guess here is that being a princess, she had servants do everything for her, so she doesn't know how to properly bathe herself. So Tigre seemed like the right man for the job

She was purposefully testing him actually. She did it in order to see if he would take advantage of her so she could determine if she could trust him or not. As hope says that seems more than a little off to me but eh. She was desperate I guess.
SilverTalon01 wrote:
However, after the comment 'what were you planning on doing if you ended up with gigantic breasts like hers?' was immediately followed by a side shot of the princess naked showing her gigantic breasts, I did do a mental face palm.

This was just...wow. Like really now? I just had to sigh at this scene.
ikramit wrote:
The madan's anime is more a badly told summary

Yeah I have to agree with this. It just skips way too damn much. I still find the anime decent on its own but it doesn't really do the story justice. Though honestly I can't blame them for rushing this because of how much they need to cover. The first 5 volumes are only the first arc so they more or less needed to rush through this in order to have an actual good ending point. Even if I understand why they needed to rush so much its still disappointing though.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
maxwell3094 wrote:
Though honestly I can't blame them for rushing this because of how much they need to cover. The first 5 volumes are only the first arc so they more or less needed to rush through this in order to have an actual good ending point. Even if I understand why they needed to rush so much its still disappointing though.

I can. IS 2 did this as well. There is no reason to rush and do an entire LN in 2 episodes just to try to get a certain amount of LNs animated. While it obviously wasn't an ideal, perfect stopping point, I would have been fine with the anime ending before the southern invasion arc and having everything expanded upon.

I mean if we were talking having to end in the middle of a LN, ok sure rush it to finish that volume. Even though all the arcs so far are leading up to this, each arc was pretty well self contained. Its not like there wasn't 4-6 months between LN volumes...
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:51 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
maxwell3094 wrote:
Though honestly I can't blame them for rushing this because of how much they need to cover. The first 5 volumes are only the first arc so they more or less needed to rush through this in order to have an actual good ending point. Even if I understand why they needed to rush so much its still disappointing though.

I can. IS 2 did this as well. There is no reason to rush and do an entire LN in 2 episodes just to try to get a certain amount of LNs animated. While it obviously wasn't an ideal, perfect stopping point, I would have been fine with the anime ending before the southern invasion arc and having everything expanded upon.

I mean if we were talking having to end in the middle of a LN, ok sure rush it to finish that volume. Even though all the arcs so far are leading up to this, each arc was pretty well self contained. Its not like there wasn't 4-6 months between LN volumes...

Stopping before the southern invasion arc would mean only Ellen, Mila, and Sophie get any screen time. This obviously wasn't acceptable to the developers.

Also I have to disagree with Hope here. The princess didn't choose to trust Tigre over a bath. Like she said, she has no choice and doesn't have any other options. I don't know why Hope thinks she's a wise lady; she obviously needed the king to build up her resume for her (commanding a large army in battle, which she lost). She wasn't in much of a bargaining position with Tigre, and if she was such a genius that she could pull something out of a hat, she wouldn't need the king's help in building up respect and reputation.

About the boobs, yes. She isn't supposed to be well endowed. Blame the artists.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Has the anime explained how Ganelon knows every detail of what's going on in their camp in real time? I mean, even if he has spies, they'd take time to reach him with info. Does he have a crystal ball or something I missed?
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

True each volume has been relatively self contained (except for some more recent volumes that is. Damn those cliffhanger endings.) but stopping in the middle of the overall narrative of the civil war when (im assuming) no 2nd season is planned would be pretty unsatisfying to me. Not that watching them blaze through 5 volumes in only 12 episodes is especially satisfying either but at least this way we will be getting a more or less complete story. To me that's the lesser of 2 evils here though I can see why others would prefer a normal pace at the cost of a worse stopping point.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:31 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Stopping before the southern invasion arc would mean only Ellen, Mila, and Sophie get any screen time. This obviously wasn't acceptable to the developers.

Yeah... it does seem like they really felt the need to include more. Maybe they're planning on selling a lot of merchandise or something?

maxwell3094 wrote:

True each volume has been relatively self contained (except for some more recent volumes that is. Damn those cliffhanger endings.) but stopping in the middle of the overall narrative of the civil war when (im assuming) no 2nd season is planned would be pretty unsatisfying to me. Not that watching them blaze through 5 volumes in only 12 episodes is especially satisfying either but at least this way we will be getting a more or less complete story. To me that's the lesser of 2 evils here though I can see why others would prefer a normal pace at the cost of a worse stopping point.

It would certainly be unsatisfying. I'd say this is worse. What narrative have we really actually managed to get? Yes, the anime explained the civil war and its great that I guess they're going to finish that up. However, the "overall narrative" was cut to ribbons and we were presented with a skeleton of it. You are saying finishing the civil war is more important because it completes the story, but what good is that when the finished product doesn't have a story strong enough to stand on its own?

I would still say I'm enjoying it, and the intention was clearly to promote the books which worked on me at least. But it doesn't really stand on its own because it doesn't tell a fluid story. It is basically a series of summarized plot points that is missing everything that connects them.

And that leads to things like this episode's death receiving apathy instead of empathy. I have to agree with the review. It was obviously suppose to be a big deal, but it just fell flat. Sounds like you've read them so, tell me, is the writing just that awful in the books? I'm hoping not. And if it isn't, I don't see how you can be fine with how the anime is making it look.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:

Yeah... it does seem like they really felt the need to include more. Maybe they're planning on selling a lot of merchandise or something?

maxwell3094 wrote:

It would certainly be unsatisfying. I'd say this is worse. What narrative have we really actually managed to get? Yes, the anime explained the civil war and its great that I guess they're going to finish that up. However, the "overall narrative" was cut to ribbons and we were presented with a skeleton of it. You are saying finishing the civil war is more important because it completes the story, but what good is that when the finished product doesn't have a story strong enough to stand on its own?

I would still say I'm enjoying it, and the intention was clearly to promote the books which worked on me at least. But it doesn't really stand on its own because it doesn't tell a fluid story. It is basically a series of summarized plot points that is missing everything that connects them.

And that leads to things like this episode's death receiving apathy instead of empathy. I have to agree with the review. It was obviously suppose to be a big deal, but it just fell flat. Sounds like you've read them so, tell me, is the writing just that awful in the books? I'm hoping not. And if it isn't, I don't see how you can be fine with how the anime is making it look.

Yes they are selling merchandise. http://imgur.com/ewKmPYX

I wouldn't say the narrative was cut to ribbons. The overall story progression is largely intact. What was missing was heaps and chunks of worldbuilding and character interaction and development. Examples are:

-Tigre and Ellen sneaking out to town on a date before starting their campaign

-Lim teaching Tigre about politics and warfare

-Lim gradually warming up to Tigre

-Tigre commanding an army on his own

-Rurick asking Tigre over beer who he prefers more, Titta or Lim

etc.

The developers had to make a choice between deleting all of this, or stopping the series at an unsatisfactory point. They chose the former. I think either way there's going to be a lot of disappointed fans of the LN.

Of course if Marksman got even half of the budget size that UBW did, none of this would have been a problem.

Still I enjoyed it and I think it did a very good job with the resources it had. Anyone know how well the BD/dvd is selling for a possible season 2?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:

Still I enjoyed it and I think it did a very good job with the resources it had. Anyone know how well the BD/dvd is selling for a possible season 2?

first volume gets released in 3 days, so we'll have sales data on the 30th
ikramit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:19 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

Well most of the readers of the light novel have already dropped this as many have said before this is very much a badly told summary rather then any kind of decent adaption this is obvious even for those who have not read the source material. I remembered making a list just of the plot points that were skipped in the first episode being large but I think you should just take a look at source material yourself if you enjoy it keep going and if not then you can drop it , judge for your self if this was a good adaptation. Btw baka tsuki has the first 5 volumes of madan under preview but the translation is fine ...
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, the last episode of Rushed no Ō to Rushadis was good, in comparison of the show's previous 3-or-so episodes. The plot bounced around quite a bit, it felt like Satelight was trying to cram a full LN into one episode.
Overall, the show has had a generally nice and smooth animation, good BGM, believable voice-work (a few scenes felt dry at times, but nothing major enough nor too dry to spoil those scenes) and interesting settings. If the series took its time to adapt the LNs in a slower pace it could've gotten a second 1-cour to reach the same point it got to in the last episode.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
I wouldn't say the narrative was cut to ribbons. The overall story progression is largely intact. What was missing was heaps and chunks of worldbuilding and character interaction and development.

The developers had to make a choice between deleting all of this, or stopping the series at an unsatisfactory point. They chose the former. I think either way there's going to be a lot of disappointed fans of the LN.

Except all of those things you listed are what make it a narrative in the first place. If you take all of the world building, character interaction, and character development out, then you don't really have a narrative. You have an outline; you have a bunch of animated bullet points.

I really don't see how that isn't worse than a less optimal stopping point. They could have easily stopped after the invasion and just left it as 'Tigre has finally gathered all his allies and prepares to confront the duke'. That isn't a bad stopping point at all. It is just a less optimal one.

Really there isn't that much difference in ending the season implying Tigre will go crush Thernadier and actually showing it. It was pretty standard and predictable with the possible exception of some one supposedly important dying but that doesn't mean much because I'm guessing he had a lot of scenes skipped. They did show why it was important to Tigre, but even with the extra bit in the final episode, as a viewer, I still don't care. I could have told you without any knowledge of the novels or seeing anything past the reveal that the prince(ss) was alive at the end of the invasion arc that the end of the rest of the arc would be him taking his army (including his new allies) to beat Thernadier and put the princess in charge. Them actually animating that didn't do nearly as much as them fleshing everything else out could have.

Doing it that way would have left the possibility that if sales were good enough, they could come back with another season and finish things up. Now they can still potentially have a second season, but a second season now isn't going to be able to flesh out the first arc.
Mature-Kun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
This show was okay. I liked it enough to watch a second season at least. Considering that ever happens.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:
I wouldn't say the narrative was cut to ribbons. The overall story progression is largely intact. What was missing was heaps and chunks of worldbuilding and character interaction and development.

Except all of those things you listed are what make it a narrative in the first place. If you take all of the world building, character interaction, and character development out, then you don't really have a narrative. You have an outline; you have a bunch of animated bullet points.

I really don't see how that isn't worse than a less optimal stopping point. They could have easily stopped after the invasion and just left it as 'Tigre has finally gathered all his allies and prepares to confront the duke'. That isn't a bad stopping point at all. It is just a less optimal one.

Really there isn't that much difference in ending the season implying Tigre will go crush Thernadier and actually showing it. It was pretty standard and predictable with the possible exception of some one supposedly important dying but that doesn't mean much because I'm guessing he had a lot of scenes skipped. They did show why it was important to Tigre, but even with the extra bit in the final episode, as a viewer, I still don't care. I could have told you without any knowledge of the novels or seeing anything past the reveal that the prince(ss) was alive at the end of the invasion arc that the end of the rest of the arc would be him taking his army (including his new allies) to beat Thernadier and put the princess in charge. Them actually animating that didn't do nearly as much as them fleshing everything else out could have.

Doing it that way would have left the possibility that if sales were good enough, they could come back with another season and finish things up. Now they can still potentially have a second season, but a second season now isn't going to be able to flesh out the first arc.

Stopping after the invasion would be something like "to find out what happens next, go buy the light novel!" at the end of the series. Obviously that was unacceptable to the developers. It would also mean that only 5 vanadis get any screen time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7