• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Wings of Rean Sub.DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerv1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Bandai must be very stupid, don't they know that anime DVD's without dubs and an MSRP of $39.99 makes them lose money?
child of Lilith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:15 am Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
Bandai must be very stupid, don't they know that anime DVD's without dubs and an MSRP of $39.99 makes them lose money?

I think Bandai likes shooting themselves in the foot. Not really good for business, but they keep doing it so maybe they dont care Sad .

Last edited by child of Lilith on Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:28 am Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:

No, because uhh.. no one but Bandai Visual has really tried doing it.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:40 am Reply with quote
Still, it was fairly easy to tell that their business strategy would fall flat in the U.S. All it would really take is a bit of research on US DVD sales.

As for the series itself, if there's too much plot, I might give Wings of Rean a rental just to see if I can make clear sense out of it. It doesn't seem compelling at all, though(based on the review), so I probably won't finish this series if I started it.

EDIT: Small grammar error.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:30 am Reply with quote
We all know the price is ridiculously high, but beyond that...

Quote:
Rather than placing his audience within them or attempting to interpret them via his visuals, Tomino simply shows events, lending the proceedings an uninvolving flatness. Film-making is the art of constructing a story from visuals; what Tomino does here is more akin to tacking visuals onto a story as an afterthought.

He really hit the nail on the head here. I never understood why Tomino is so worshipped. He's a very poor director and an even worse storyteller who got lucky with the Gundam franchise (and maybe Dunbine). I won't begrudge him an occasional winner, but a look at his total output, especially lately (Brain Powerd, Garzey's Wing) and it's quite clear he has no sense of staging, dramatic timing or any other skill that makes for compelling film. I found Brain Powerd to be especially unforgivable, as it completely wastes one of Yoko Kanno's better scores by burying it under terrible expository dialogue. (I haven't watched Turn-A Gundam yet, but it looks like it might be better.)

This is sounding more like his hillariously awful Garzey's Wing, which is so bad (and so incompetantly dubbed) that it's become a running joke in the anime dub industry. Very Happy
Damius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:38 am Reply with quote
The price is really incredible

Making dub is the ting that cost the most...so the anime cost them a lot less to make and sell them a lot more....

Plus the sub dont seem to be that good (C+)

What will make people buy that...
Grico

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:29 am Reply with quote
Well to me this is one of the series that makes sense with the over-priced compared to the market Bandai Visual scheme. If you are a big dunbine fan I think you will end up buying this regardless of the price. In the US it a niche fan boy release where the big fanboys will really want it and the rest of anime fandom will not care very much at all. Japan is big on the very niche over priced release method. I remember seeing an Agent Aika set for over $150.00. It's still however an open-question whether American otaku are willing to pay such inflated prices. If people actually are willing it might mean an increase on fanboy series released here stuff like sailormoon stars, the missing gundams, etc, kanon, if people are willing to pony up higher per disc prices to pay for high priced licenses. So we will see. Nothing Bandai is releasing now, however, is worth it for me pay these prices now though...
mufurc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote
I remember that when the first episode of Rean came out, the official site enthused, "Watch out, Hollywood! This is real entertainment!" (or something along these lines). Admittedly, I haven't seen Dunbine, but what I've seen of Rean came across as basically a bloated, sometimes ridiculous vanity project. But then, I don't think I belong to the target audience...
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:37 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
He really hit the nail on the head here. I never understood why Tomino is so worshipped. He's a very poor director and an even worse storyteller who got lucky with the Gundam franchise (and maybe Dunbine). I won't begrudge him an occasional winner, but a look at his total output, especially lately (Brain Powerd, Garzey's Wing) and it's quite clear he has no sense of staging, dramatic timing or any other skill that makes for compelling film. I found Brain Powerd to be especially unforgivable, as it completely wastes one of Yoko Kanno's better scores by burying it under terrible expository dialogue. (I haven't watched Turn-A Gundam yet, but it looks like it might be better.)

The trick with Tomino is that he can come up with nice worlds, nice general plots, and nice ideas for characters, but he stumbles big time when it comes to actually applying those worlds, specifically directing those plots on-screen, and writing those characters. The result is, as I'm sure I don't have to tell you, a lot of disjointedness and really, really, REALLY awkward character dialogue (like a certain Zeta Gundam protagonist's response to his psychic girlfriend's death being a complete non-sequitur on his mentor's nickname, which he completely forgets within two scenes).

He's functional for coming up with concepts for other people to build up, in my opinion. I cite titles like Gundam X and 08th MS Team as proof of that. He has a few winners here and there on his own (I liked Turn-A, I'll say that much), but all in all his stuff is best watched by the kind of people who like immersing themselves in a show's mythology more than actually watching it for moving character development and brilliant plot progression (hey, I can get all that stuff from far better shows, his Gundam timeline's great for just nerding out once in a while).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

The trick with Tomino is that he can come up with nice worlds, nice general plots, and nice ideas for characters, but he stumbles big time when it comes to actually applying those worlds, specifically directing those plots on-screen, and writing those characters. The result is, as I'm sure I don't have to tell you, a lot of disjointedness and really, really, REALLY awkward character dialogue (like a certain Zeta Gundam protagonist's response to his psychic girlfriend's death being a complete non-sequitur on his mentor's nickname, which he completely forgets within two scenes).

This is so true. Back when I got into Gundam (before it had sequels) I used to say how much the movies resemble Yoshikazu Yasuhilko style more than Tomino. Yas, who had a big hand in the third movie should have directed the rather flat F-91 (I think Yas only contributed on character designs) which had a much larger Tomino influence. The real nice melodramatic interactions, especially all those slapping scenes, from First Gundam are executed well thanks to Yas. Amuro and Tem's relationship also comes across very well and is very internal. Tomino in contrast has a problem with pacing and is very external. I tend to think his last episodes of L-Gaim, Dunbine, and even Zeta are really poorly paced and lack that emotional impact of First Gundam.

I would like to add 0080 to the post Tomino Gundam list, since this was the first series done without Tomino. The creators seemed to intentionally capitalize on Tomino's weaknesses making this the ultimate anti-Tomino Gundam. Sadly enough the OVA sales were really low, especially compared to the following 0083 sales.
zebbox

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:25 am Reply with quote
no, no more dubless anime dvd Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1