• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - Mega Drive Megatron

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Hell of a Ride, David, Hell of a Ride.

Thanks for all the columns and all the chances to see the neat figures that come out of the Anime / Manga world.

Best of luck, I feel certain that we will be seeing you again.

Mark Gosdin
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Can't stand on its feet? That's a problem a lot of Megatron figures that are representations of the original character have. Solid review, it's been a long run David Cabrera and I hope that a positive future is waiting for you.

Shame Optimus is a Playstation, a SNES would have been perfect but you know how stingy Nintendo can be. I hope it turns out better. Also there are some great toys outside of the Masterpiece line (sorry, but it's true). The Masterpiece line might be considered the "best" but there are so many other great things that I'm just going to tell up to look up toy reviews on YouTube. I'm a big fan of Transformers...
littlefishgirl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Sad to see Astro Toy go/change as it was one of the instigators behind my own figure collection. I've enjoyed reading! Too bad that there will not be a Sakura vs. Sakura article. I've got the figma on preorder but would have liked very much to see it compared to the figuarts.

Is it just me, or have a lot of regular columns been laid to rest in the last few months?
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
littlefishgirl wrote:
Is it just me, or have a lot of regular columns been laid to rest in the last few months?

No,it isn't you. It looks like a evolution is underway at ANN. Such things are unavoidable in the modern internet world.

Fasten your seatbelt, looks like we're picking up speed.

Mark Gosdin
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
This is actually the last of 3 columns being retired or undergoing refurbishment for 2015. Plenty of new stuff planned!
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Very sad to see this column to also go. Well it was fun while it last.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
No Comment

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the great run, I'm gonna miss the column as it is, hopefully whatever replacing it is just as good. I never posted in any of articles, but this column was a driving force that lead me to buy my first figure (Jolyne Kujo SAS). It's not one you covered or anything, but AT kept figures as a whole in my mind when otherwise I would have probably forgotten about them. But now I check Amiami usually about once a week, have a figure of my own, and will be getting another for Christmas (the Figuarts Kamen Rider OOO). I don't see myself going much beyond Jojo's and Toku figures, and maybe a mech or two, but I appreciate this column expanding my fandom. Thanks again.

I really liked all the variety the column had. The stuff that was either really good, really bad, or really weird was the most entertaining, but every week was a nice read. I can't remember every one off the top of my head, but one of my favorites was probably the Tamashii Spec Layzner
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I really to get this at some point. I want to get the Prime figure as well.
Makeinu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Just popping in to to say thank you for all these great years, Dave. I don't own any figures myself - not gonna jump down that hellhole with open eyes - but your particular take on things will be missed.

I really think that reading a column on something you have zero interest in just because you enjoy the author's way with words is... well, probably a total waste of time. But an entertaining one, all the same.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Sad news. David, even though I don't collect any figures whatsoever I had fun reading your columns. Your passion always shone through.

See you space cowboy.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The completed Mega Drive is extremely small, taking up only a little more space than a Nendoroid would on your shelf.

Since I don't collect figures, this doesn't help me much (and I can't find any information elsewhere either). Smile What are the dimensions of the console? Without a reference, it looks like a laptop in the pictures, but since the figure only stands less than 8", I'm guessing about the size of a floppy disk? I'm prepared to be impressed, but I don't know how impressed I should be! Very Happy

Always enjoyed the column - I love figures, just can't afford them and don't understand the marketplace at all, so I never dove in. Thanks for all the entertaining and informative columns and good luck with your next big thing. I'm looking forward to seeing what's on deck.
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
A floppy disk is actually a little longer: the best match for the dimensions of the completed item is probably a pack of cigarettes or so? It's seriously tiny.

Also, I really appreciate all the kind words. Thanks.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all the great columns, it was definitely fun to check out every now and again, and will be missed.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:11 pm Reply with quote
For some reason, I was motivated to upload this, 'cus of the thread topic. Rolling Eyes
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Definitely gonna miss your take on figures.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2