• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha Temporarily Suspends Vinland Saga Manga in US

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaughingElbow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Bad sales?

{Please. No one-liners. Thank you. ~nobahn}
Twage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Five two-in-one volumes. So 10 of the 15 volumes available in Japan.
animelytical

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually distraught. The fith started a new arc so I was hoping to pick the fifth and the sixth up together. A great series so far.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
LaughingElbow wrote:
Bad sales?

Pretty much - back on Nov 14 a bunch of us were discussing it on Twitter; Ben Applegate indicated it wasn't a total flop, but wasn't what Kodansha was hoping for.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
LaughingElbow wrote:
Bad sales?

From another thread:

Vertical_Ed wrote:
Quote:
Do you think historical fiction as a genre is a tough sell, or just these particular titles? I got my hopes up because of Vinland Saga and Wolfsmund (haven't checked Wolfsmund out yet, but I'm planning to).

Yup. Both of those titles are flops. Wolfsmund is our worst-selling title since Twin Spica (and Twin Knights).

Bride Story does okay... But that price point makes a difference.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4392286#4392286

I think Amazon may have screwed Vinland Saga. I had it pre-ordered months in advance, then a couple days after it was released I received an email saying they couldn't get a hold of a copy. I went on to Amazon and found two listings for it, one saying it was unavailable and the other ready to ship, but it cost ten dollars more than what I'd pre-ordered it for so I didn't bother reordering. I saw a bunch of people on Kodansha's Tumblr saying the same thing.
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* That's just lovely.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
How could this be a flop? It is SUCH a good manga. Also, I'm pretty sure I saw one of the volumes on an ICV2 best selling graphic novels list a few months ago.

Ugh, this is depressing news. I'm pretty sure this manga was supposed to be Kodansha's test of the North American seinen market too. I really hope this is just a precautionary measure to ensure they don't catch up to the Japanese volumes too quickly.
Bonham

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Really terrible and shitty if Vinland Saga is eventually just outright cancelled due to poor sales. I've loved the production, translation and extras for all five volumes. Really don't want to go back to scanlations to read this.
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
What a shame, I've been adamantly buying them since the beginning with it being the Kodansha release that I commit the most to buying. It was great to have Sayōnara wa Chikai no de translated as well since Yukimura is brilliant in general.

I hope they come back to it eventually.

On Twin Spica, that was a great story as well for the volumes I have so far. I wish more of the smaller stories caught on without needing the magazine, publisher or original artist to have some sort of star power.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Vinland and Wolfsmund are so good. The definition of seinen. This is what happens if you dare to bring out something truly literate these days. So scanlations it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lys

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Sad, sad news!!! Everyone should be reading and buying this series—and I say so as a sparkly-eyed reader of mostly shoujo manga, so it truly has appeal far beyond its demographic.

If this is because of low sales, though, I don't understand why they'd need to push the next volume out all the way to 2017. Even Viz manages one volume of Kaze Hikaru a year...
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
noblesse oblige wrote:
How could this be a flop? It is SUCH a good manga. Also, I'm pretty sure I saw one of the volumes on an ICV2 best selling graphic novels list a few months ago.

ICV2's top charts skew pretty slow sometimes. On their comic book rankings you can see comics on the top charts that only sell 10,000 copies.

Certain manga just doesn't sell in America. Comedy tends to be a big one. Keroro Gunsou and Gintama are popular in Japan but flopped in America. Seinen seems to be a mixed bag as well. American audiences seem to only prefer children's action shounen like Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, and Attack on Titan.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I swear to God, it seems like every manga I start collecting ends up getting cancelled or left in limbo. This really sucks.
Twage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
noblesse oblige wrote:

ICV2's top charts skew pretty slow sometimes. On their comic book rankings you can see comics on the top charts that only sell 10,000 copies.

Also, ICv2 only reflects one segment of the market, a segment for which manga is not their main business. And remember, unlike for comics, for manga 10k is a solid hit. Scale is different.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Definitely going to put me off picking up new series from Kodansha USA until they offer a reason/excuse and tell us what their plans are to continue the series. If they had any intentions of releasing the series I'd have thought powering through and releasing volumes 6 & 7 whilst they're riding high on Titan money would be the best time to do so. Then they'd be caught up and only have to release a new omnibus every year or so.

I really hope they offer more clarification though as just quietly mentioning it in a reply on Twitter doesn't show enough respect for people who have used their money to support the series in my opinion. Plus cancelled licences have a very negative impact on the industry so a plan of action would be much appreciated to negate that.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6