• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Retailers: Slayers Movie & OVA Blu-ray Box Cancelled

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:00 am Reply with quote
Even if the buyers get refunded, it's nice if retailers could explain why they did this. I think fans should at least be given somewhat of an explanation of why this happens.
Togame

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:01 am Reply with quote
"Production issues" are cited.
That's about it.

Could be anything. Maybe some copyrights didn't get cleared or masters weren't useable, or maybe marketing research wasn't favorable anymore.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:12 am Reply with quote
Very disheartening indeed, since I thought Slayers seemed to be quite a fun show (although I haven't watched it, yet). It would be a big help to the customers if they were to explain why they're abandoning the movie and OVA...
Levonr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
That sucks, although I prefer the TV series. I wish that would be remastered & released on blu-ray.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:27 am Reply with quote
Anime dazed...First the Steins;Gate Novel gets cancelled, now this one too, well, that doesn't sound too good lately for things that don't go as planned...>_>
D-Rock

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:35 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
That sucks, although I prefer the TV series. I wish that would be remastered & released on blu-ray.

I feel the same way. The series is definitely better, but it's a damn shame that people are missing out. It is one of my favorite anime, series and movies alike. Has the series been released (on blu-ray)?
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:06 am Reply with quote
^On Blu-ray, no, just on DVD and that's for all 5 seasons (not counting FUNi's upscale released here).
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:38 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
^On Blu-ray, no, just on DVD and that's for all 5 seasons (not counting FUNi's upscale released here).

And ADV got the OVA series--including, yes, successfully dubbing The Laugh--but it's as hard to find as any other early-ADV on DVD.
(The series, collected as "Book of Spells" is currently going for $200 on Amazon.)

Here's where RightStuf should step in right about now...

Levonr wrote:
That sucks, although I prefer the TV series.

Yeah, I liked the less ugly one that wasn't male-bashing (literally and figuratively), and we had comparatively good main characters that didn't hate each other.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:12 am Reply with quote
ADV had all of the movies and OVAs (only Slayers Special was rebranded "Book of Spells"), and you can still collect them via the singles fairly easily. It's the boxsets that are going for ridiculous prices. I would wait for better releases though. ADV's DVDs looked terrible.

The original three TV seasons will probably never see Blu. I just can't see it happening. The first season especially had very cheap low-quality animation; I can't see it being worth the upgrade. HD might even make it look WORSE by exposing the rough animation. The original film elements might not even survive. If it's THIS much trouble for them to upgrade the movies/OVAs (which had much higher production values), I highly doubt they'll touch the original TV series.

Seasons 4-5 look great on BD though, even through an upscale.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I'd have loved to see many of these on BD, since they're where all of the budget in Slayers went. The three TV series wouldn't be bad either, it's not like the actual animation would receive a downgrade from being in HD, any beauty in the art would be magnified with only small instances of mistakes being there too, like you'd find in Nadia. They shouldn't ruin anyone's enjoyment, they're just amusing to note.

I doubt it's necessarily the quality of the film elements, the preorders were probably just awfully low making the entire endeavor not worth it. As long as film elements are usable, even for 16mm, creating an HD transfer is always better than not assuming they don't heavily tamper with grain.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
This sucks, I also prefer the TV series and would buy again for it on BD for even a decent upgrade, but I would have jumped on a US release of these on BD to finally own the rest of them.

I also thought Funi's upscale BDs of the most recent Slayers seasons were pretty good.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Aw come on, that just makes me sick. Big Slayers fan. Could someone at least put them out over here on a decent DVD release? Please?
aquadon1963

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:00 am Reply with quote
was just researching purchasing the movies ....but then heard of JP blu-ray release ...
i agree with the others ... I would buy the movie blu-rays and seasons 1-3 again on blu
funny while i was watching seasons i didn't like with such enthusiasm as now 1 year later ...and some more searies under my belt .....
Slayers and LINA are quite exceptional for the fantasy adventure genre IMHO
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
If the reason this boxset was canceled because the pre-sales were too low to bother, I hope somebody does a kickstarter like the one made for Bubblegum Crisis and release this in full high definition glory. If it mimics said campaign I would gladly put my money where my mouth is; Slayers is one of the few oldies that can still be marketed to western audiences.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Well this is unfortunate. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2