• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Licenses Devil May Cry, Gurren Lagaan, Kyoshiro

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vojozo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:12 pm Reply with quote
gurren-lagaan in the states now as well......... i think I've died and went to heaven

2nd best thing I've heard *nothing can top Nanoha being licenses*
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:12 pm Reply with quote
ADV LICENSED KYOSHIRO?! *dies*
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Devil May Cry? Wow, ADV actually licensed a big title, their license announcements within the last year have been mostly disappointing, DMC will damn sure make up for that though. I think that DMC & Xenosaga will be the only licenses of their I'll be buying though.

Good announcement.

- Bilis
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:00 pm Reply with quote
theoriginalbilis wrote:
Devil May Cry? Wow, ADV actually licensed a big title, their license announcements within the last year have been mostly disappointing,

I must say I am fan of the first two titles mentioned so I am looking forward to checking them out on DVD. I haven't seen much of either but what I have seen thus far certainly has some promise to them.

As for disappointing licenses (up until now) of this year, I can't really agree with ya there. Tokyo Majin, 5cm Per Second, Pumpkin Scissors, Welcome to the N.H.K., Air, and Red Garden. Out of those titles I am interested 5 of them, and one I am not (Air) I am sure there are lots of folks that are, I think ADV has really done a good job as of late with their announcements. Not to mention at the end of 06 they licensed both 009-1 and Le Chevalier both series that I am really enjoying.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully their release of Gurren Lagann will be as quick as their Chevlier release (out on dvd here while the show was still airing in Japan)
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quote
bilis: ADV's still got bigger titles than Geneon, even if no one likes Gainax anymore.
You_Wa_Shock

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Gurren Lagann's made me a Gainax fan again. It's so much better than those maid shows they were making a few years ago.
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Gurren Lagann, believe in the DVDs that believe in you.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:45 pm Reply with quote
ADV licensing Gurren Lagaan just made my day. The show was pretty kooky but I liked it from what I saw. A friend and I were discussing it and our predictions were right: ADV could end up licensing Gurren Lagaan since they have a few things from Gainax already. I can not wait for the first DVD.

So far from what I have seen, Kamina is the man!
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I expected Devil May Cry to be picked up soon; and I have to agree that the release date will fall somewhere around the time DMC4 is released. I wonder if the same voice cast from the games will be doing the anime.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:10 pm Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
I expected Devil May Cry to be picked up soon; and I have to agree that the release date will fall somewhere around the time DMC4 is released. I wonder if the same voice cast from the games will be doing the anime.

And that my friend is the one million dollar question. They have had some video game licenses but most of the time they were spinoff and didn't have the main characters or the characters didn't speak in the game. Xenosaga one of the series that should also be interesting given it's cultist background. I've got to imagine that ADV is going to get the original voices to do the work, it just make sense especially when the anime should be out with the game and you'd want to have the same voices.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:57 pm Reply with quote
ADV captures Gainax's best work since FLCL, filled with manliness and robots with freakin' drills? That's awesome. Nice that they licensed it so early, too; hopefully it can be as quick of a release date as Le Chevalier D'Eon.

Deltakiral wrote:
As for disappointing licenses (up until now) of this year, I can't really agree with ya there. Tokyo Majin, 5cm Per Second, Pumpkin Scissors, Welcome to the N.H.K., Air, and Red Garden.

I thought that you didn't like Gonzo, Deltakiral?

Eh, well, whatever. 5 Centimeters per Second, Gurren Lagann, and Air are on my to-buy list, and I'm collecting Kurau: Phantom Memory and Le Chevalier D'Eon as the volumes come out, so it's all good.

ADV is also apparently going to announce more licenses at the next convention, so I'm looking forward to them.

GATSU wrote:
bilis: ADV's still got bigger titles than Geneon, even if I don't like Gainax anymore.

Fix'd it fer ya, Gatsu.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:26 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
I thought that you didn't like Gonzo, Deltakiral?

Eh, well, whatever. 5 Centimeters per Second, Gurren Lagann, and Air are on my to-buy list, and I'm collecting Kurau: Phantom Memory and Le Chevalier D'Eon as the volumes come out, so it's all good.

No I have a love/hate relationship with Gonzo. I've loved many of their works and hated many of their works. The shows like Desert Punk, Gantz, Hellsing, Peacemaker, and Trinity Blood are shows that I just couldn't stand. Yet on the same coin Last Exile and Gankutsuou are both in my top ten and I really enjoyed Chrono Crusade and Samurai Seven. Also there doing some really fantastic work on Romeo X Juliet and I have enjoyed Speed Grapher and Basilisk.

Hopefully Gurren Lagaan will get that speed treatment (like you noted Hellkorn) similar to Le Chevalier because that is the way to release a show.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Seems like ADV's gotten themselves some interesting new titles. Devil May Cry looks promising, of course. And I'm heard some good things about Gurren-Lagaan (haven't seen a good mecha in a while).

The one that threw me for a loop, though, was seeing Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora amongst their list of up-and-comers. I mean, it's not really that grand a series, in my opinion. Sure, it looks pretty enough, and the music's not half bad, but the blood and guts of the series-- the plot, the pacing, the characters-- all seem pretty lacking. (I've seen a few episodes on Youtube and I gotta say, KyoSora did little for me). But hey, who knows? Maybe it'll be better in English...? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Yay! None of ADV's other recent licenses have really interested me, but all three of these were at the top of my wish list. Gurren-Lagann has been my favorite this season and so far, I'm liking DMC too. I also really loved Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora (although it seems not too many people liked it as much as I did...) so I'll be looking forward to buying all three series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3