• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Report: Japan's Animation Industry Reached Record High in 2013

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:49 am Reply with quote
I don't know what to say, but it does look positive from 2013. Don't have 2014 data yet (I hope it get release soon).

Quote:
the film market where Western films also performed well

I think Frozen may have contributed to this.

Quote:
a home video market that is finally recovering after seven years.

I did find this odd because after the tax hikes, I thought this would make it worse. But we'll have to wait for a more detailed report on anime DVDs/blu-ray sales overall.

EDIT: after reading the data only reported up to 2013, now I know why it seem to increase instead of decrease. This was before the tax hike and we don't have 2014 data yet.

Quote:
Internet distribution expanded its influence over the course of the year, but has caused a decline in some areas, such as home video rental.

That's not surprising to me, and it was to be expected.

Quote:
The television anime market saw a slight decrease from last year, a trend that can be explained by an overall decrease in the satellite and cable television market.

Not really a surprise to me. Looks like Japan is probably (slowly) catching up on the streaming and online viewing judging from the slight decrease of TV viewing.

Overall from my POV, it does look positive but I have mixed feeling.

Last edited by mdo7 on Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:57 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:52 am Reply with quote
it is good to know that even in a recession the industry managed to grow.

BTW, anyone knows the reason for the HUGE market growth between 1985 and 1990? It does not correspond to any technology I know of and Japan was already a 1st world economy by the start of said period.
acetatsujin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:52 am Reply with quote
Yeah ... I bought a lot of shit from Japan. Mostly Anime BDs, design books, art books, figures, etc. That's just in 2014. Fansubs aren't even putting a dent in that figure. They're helping.

Oh well. Back to THORA's Evangelion release.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
It's nice to know that Japan's animation industry has been doing this well. If only it was like this every year. I would say that Frozen indeed has played a part in helping this record considering it's widespread appeal.[/list]

Last edited by Kadmos1 on Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:02 am Reply with quote
These figures are for 2013 and Frozen wasn't released in Japan until 2014.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:03 am Reply with quote
Hmmm...with mega-sellers like Eva movie 3, Love Live season 1, Attack on Titan, Free!, Monogatari S2, and unusually high number of 10K sellers throughout winter, spring, and summer season, it is no surprise that 2013 is a huge year for anime industry.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this Fall season's anime sales was very abysmal in comparison, with so far...no anime besides FSN (which will be released on March 2015) is likely to have 10K average. What happened?
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:09 am Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
These figures are for 2013 and Frozen wasn't released in Japan until 2014.

Oh yeah, I forgot thanks. But it might have been another Disney film (which western film was doing well in Japan in 2013 and before that?)

Also I almost forgot about this ANN article which reported Anime video sales jumped 6.5% in 2013. That may have helped why anime industry in 2013 was at a all time high. But the question is: After the tax hikes, I wonder what the sales look like now.

Engineering Nerd wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but this Fall season's anime sales was very abysmal in comparison, with so far...no anime besides FSN (which will be released on March 2015) is likely to have 10K average. What happened?

Probably the tax hikes may have played a role in that one. Japan's recent GDP report was very bad:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Archer_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:17 am Reply with quote
Huh, I thought the industry made record growth in 2011. Looking at the sales of most anime for 2014, I'd be surprised if 2014 grew again. There certainly weren't as many huge hits as the years before.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:20 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Oh yeah, I forgot thanks. But it might have been another Disney film (which western film was doing well in Japan in 2013 and before that?)

The biggest grossing movie of 2013 was Wind Rises, but a single movie is not going to carry an entire industry. People trying to attribute this to Frozen, even ignoring that it didn't even come out in 2013, doesn't really make sense. I know people like Frozen, but let's be realistic people.

-Stuart Smith
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:23 am Reply with quote
_Archer_ wrote:
Huh, I thought the industry made record growth in 2011. Looking at the sales of most anime for 2014, I'd be surprised if 2014 grew again. There certainly weren't as many huge hits as the years before.

Yeah and let's not forget the tax hikes Japan implemented, and the weakened yen, it may effect anime BDs/DVDs sales. Like I mention above Japan's GDP is very bad, so I assume anime BDs/DVDs sales could be effected by it. But we have to wait and see the 2014 report, I wouldn't be surprised if sales have went down a lot. But I agreed with you it would be a big surprise if anime BDs/DVDs sales went up like magic despite the tax hikes and the weakened yen.
bigivel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:24 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
it is good to know that even in a recession the industry managed to grow.

BTW, anyone knows the reason for the HUGE market growth between 1985 and 1990? It does not correspond to any technology I know of and Japan was already a 1st world economy by the start of said period.

The industry was in a time of huge increase! There were appearing a lot more studios with a lot more titles, from TV series to Movies.
I would assume also that Japan opened more the doors to foreign countries.
Also at that time huge franchises appeared: Dragon Ball, Anpanman, Chibi Maruko-chan, ...

Note how in each 5 years the market increased rapidly, the market was growing and growing more each year.

Interesting to know is that 2006, the previous record year, had 158 new anime(not counting OVA, ONA and Movies). 2013 had 153, and was the year with more new anime since the 2006.
Seeing how 2014 will do is interesting, given that it made a record in the industry with 171 new anime. In movies we have Yokai Watch doing records for TOHO. Doesn't Frozen also counts as 2014? I believe so!
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:29 am Reply with quote
_Archer_ wrote:

2011 was when people were chanting in the streets that anime was dying and otaku were killing the industry and Japan is a fool for not appealing to superior western audience tastes and it was such a downward direction from the great era of the 90s, even though the numbers clearly show that even in 2011 anime was still way better off than the 'golden age' of the 90s.

Stuart Smith wrote:
People trying to attribute this to Frozen, even ignoring that it didn't even come out in 2013, doesn't really make sense. I know people like Frozen, but let's be realistic people.

I wonder if it's a way to keep the "anime is dying" mantra alive by saying only western animation (read: one single movie) can save it and there's no way anime itself could be popular or successful. The sad thing is people will still probably try to say anime is dying and doomsay the industry for a reason I still don't fully comprehend.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:36 am Reply with quote
With Japan's animation industry trending upwards from 2011, I wonder if 2014 was better or worse?

In any case, it's fantastic to see that the industry continued to expanded, even in the midst of a recession. Smile
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:57 am Reply with quote
So much for the constant negativity and doomsaying.
bigivel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:09 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
The sad thing is people will still probably try to say anime is dying and doomsay the industry for a reason I still don't fully comprehend.

This as to do with 2 factors.

1st is looking at a huge pool of the best past anime, going from a span of decades and decades, and comparing it with 1 or a few years in the present, where ALL the anime(from best to mediocre to bad titles) are included.
For an example take the interval from 1985 to 1995 of BEST Weekly Shonen Jump titles. You end up with:
1- Dragon Ball
2- Yu Yu Hakusho
3- Saint Seiya!
4- Fist of the North Star(Hokuto no Ken)
5- Slam Dunk
6- Captain Tsubasa
7- City Hunter
8- Kinnikuman(Ultimate Muscle)

From 2013 to 2014 ALL Weekly Shonen Jump titles you have:
1- Kuroko no Basket
2- Nisekoi
3- Haikyuu!!
4- World Trigger

Comparing the Two, you have more series in the BEST Past and also more quality.
Things get a lot worse when talking of all the industry, because is just not only one magazine we're talking and also normally when people talk past, they aren't talking of a decade, but like everything before 5 years in the past.

2nd factor has to do with the evolution of the industry. Right now the industry makes a lot more titles in a year than in the past. Like 8 to 10 times more. Given that normally more than 90% of products in a given media, including anime, is perceived as trash, you now have 8 to 10 times more trash that you see.
For example:
10 titles were produced per year in the past. So you would probably love 1 title and think that the remainder 9 are not good.
Given that now there is produced 10 times more material, you have that right now 100 titles are produced. While you get 10 amazing titles, you also get 90 not good.
Going through 90 bad titles is a lot more pronounced than just look into 9.

There is also a 3rd hidden factor XP, people adore hyperboles and shouting the most insane things. Saying that now there is a lot of bad anime, is not as attractive as shouting that the anime industry is doomed!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5