• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Stream Yurikuma Arashi Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
roseversailles wrote:
Bless all that is holy, this means Sentai is out of the running for dubbing this show! Very Happy
I know right? Isn't that just so great?

As much as I want to support the industry and keep dubs coming, Sentai dominating the market with awful half assed dubs makes it so hard. Usually I don't get too worked up because most of the stuff they pick up is crap that no one else wants but approaching a show like Penguindrum with that same half assed attitude is completely unacceptable.

But hey, even though Penguindrum has little to no chance of ever getting a competent English dub, at least Funimation saved Yuri Bear. And if Ikuhara's promises of this being the biggest turning point for anime since the original Gundam series are to be believed (Honestly, it's hard not to believe in a guy as awesome as him) then that's something we should all be very, very happy about.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad for a variety of reasons, including Sentai not getting it. This means that Funimation will probably dub it later, and they have a better chance of doing it right than Sentai. The Penguindrum dub was pretty iffy, with Emily Neves and Monica Rial carrying the whole thing on their backs. Shoma and Kanba's English VAs just were not up to snuff.

Of course, if this is even a bit as good as Penguindrum, it'll be worth checking out, at least. Even if it lacks penguins.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
wizard626 wrote:
As a Canadian anime viewer, every season hurts so much when Funimation announces shows I actually (really really) want to watch :'(

Doesn't Funimation stream in Canada? I know they do some work there.

Hey man, if not, at least you got a functioning health care system. That's the trade off I guess for a lack of anime. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I kind of expected Sentai to get it, but it is good that this anime will be in the hands of someone capable of doing good dubs.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree that Funimation picking up Yuri Bear Storm was for the best, since, IMO, it means it has a higher chance of being under a competent director (if it gets slated for an English version).

Edit: Alright, 800 posts! Smile
Student no.0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I personally wouldn't be interested in such news since I wasn't looking forward to this show in particular, then I saw this:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...national-users

May 2015 be the year that more Funi shows make it to Latin America please!
Flah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
wizard626 wrote:
As a Canadian anime viewer, every season hurts so much when Funimation announces shows I actually (really really) want to watch :'(

They at least have some kind of streaming service for Canada. It could be a hell of a lot worse. I was worried for weeks that it might be Viz getting the simulcast.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Only about 4 days left until airdate
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Only about 4 days left until airdate

I can't bear the wait.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:36 am Reply with quote
Funi, I'm glad you got this show, but if you don't stream it on time, expect a barrage of angry tweets 'till you do. Dammit, guys, you can not take a show like this and make the fans wait for it, especially since Crunchyroll will undoubtedly do a better job than you streaming it outside the USA. Thank you.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:02 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

As much as I want to support the industry and keep dubs coming, Sentai dominating the market with awful half assed dubs makes it so hard.
And if Ikuhara's promises of this being the biggest turning point for anime since the original Gundam series are to be believed (Honestly, it's hard not to believe in a guy as awesome as him) then that's something we should all be very, very happy about.

Sentai's dub of Penguindrum was a whole 'nother level of awful. While I'm not sure a "great" dub could have ever been made of that show, the job Sentai did was downright horrendous. Weak scriptwriting and all-over-the-place direction. I sincerely think the actors could have been decent had they worked with tighter writing and direction (and that applies to both dub directors, though most of the blame lies with Foster).

I have not heard Ikuni's claims, but boy does that stoke the fire ever more for me. He tends to troll the fanbase, but I love every second of it regardless. It kind of amazes me that he can weave social commentary in with absurdity and surrealism as well as he does, and I will be over the moon happy if YuriKuma is a fraction as great as his past two series were!
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:42 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Oh good, so I can actually use that subscription I got on Black Friday for something at least.

Here's hoping they're not 3 weeks late in actually streaming the shows as per norm.

Here's hoping the streaming actually works. I've been reluctant to pay for a subscription because I can never get their streaming to work with their app on android or IOS. Usually I watch their series on Hulu.

They have made it easier to find series though.

The other reason it always depresses me when Funimation gets a niche series like I expect this one to be is it decreases the chances of a home video release, since they insist on dubbing everything they release, and some series won't sell enough to justify the cost of making a dub. At least they've relaxed that restriction.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:14 am Reply with quote
This was a very surprising announcement to see on Thursday. Even with the name of Ikuhara behind it, it sounded too niche to really fit in with Funimation's portfolio. Wonder what got them into acquiring it besides a 'bargain' financial deal-- the Ikuhara name behind it, the fact that it has a potential to be sold as a HAHAHA LESBIANS AND FANSERVICE anime very easily (it has been pretty upfront with that), the fact that it does add some diversity to their lineup, or some combination of the above….? Very interesting.

Bit funny to see all the rejoicing at the fact that Funimation acquired it. Is the specter of Stephen Foster hovering so badly, even though it sounds like he's done with ADR directing? :^) Or has the disdain come to specifically include its current ADR Directors, like Christopher Ayres or Janice Williams? What I probably blame more than anything is the Sentai business machine overall (or what used to be that machine, since I've not seen any real recent Sentai dubs). Seeing some of the VAs be so genuinely into their roles in Penguindrum-- Emily Neves, Monica Rial, and Maggie Flecknoe most especially-- and a script that's likely more faithful (perhaps too faithful) than the kind Foster's name is infamously associated with, I get a sense the dub really could've been better with what they had in place if they had more time. Instead, there was the usual missed mouth flaps and bundles of rushed direction, and halfway through the series, the ADR direction and over half the supporting cast changed! Still thought it decent, with the female leads shining throughout and even the weaker roles picking up a lot of the slack before long-- but really deserved better.

If there's anything I'm somewhere between annoyed and maybe-actually-upset about, it's the fact that Funimation announced acquiring it so early that they're going to be in charge of streaming it. Better than having no one legally stream it, of course, but I really was hoping to see it from my Crunchyroll account instead of another streaming service I don't have premium membership with. Then add in how much negative stuff I've been hearing about Funimation and their streaming shows lately, to my surprise-- even much of /a/ seems to have a bigger beef with FUNi than with Crunchyroll in regards to their quality, based on my browsing of the announcement thread there-- and I'm a bit wary. (Also, mightn't this be one of their anime whose episodes are released a couple days after their original Japanese premiere? I'd hope not!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:46 am Reply with quote
Welp, looks like I'm passing up on this anime. I don't have money for FUNi's service and I don't feel like waiting another week for it, so I'm not even going to bother.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote
I've read that Ikuhara liked the Rachael Lillis' Utena performance so much that he named his car after Rachael.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3