• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Volume: 2014

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minami-Asakura

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:01 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: Post removed for troll behavior and user placed on Moderated status. You can like One Piece all you want, but instigating some kind of superiority complex based on your fandom, rubbing shit in peoples' faces, and degrading their personal preferences and/or opinions is not the way to do it. Be cool, or be quiet. -TK]

Last edited by Minami-Asakura on Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Roronoa_Zoro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:46 am Reply with quote
-Luffy put his hat on Nami's head and Zoro Sanji & Ussop was sitting there like bosses and they commenced on that epic walk to Arlong park

-Luffy punching Arlong

- Zoro fight with Mihawk and crying out to Luffy and swearing to never lose again

- Hiluluk's death (Chopper's introductory arc)

- Enels face

- Luffy vs Usopp

- Water Seven fights

- Robin wants to live (Enies Lobby)

-Zoro's sacrifice to Luffy after battling Kuma (Legendary)

- Going Merry's funeral T-T

-Luffy's epic punch with the celestial dragon

-Separation at sabaody

-Luffy's entrance to marineford facing the admirals

- Ace and Whitebeard deaths (Crying moments T-T)

and many more and now with that Doffy's and Law's debut in Dressrosa arc....what did u expect? Of course this deserves to be NO. 1
delivering us with that epic storys/moments here.....glad that OP exists......OP will still reign 10-12 years more as NO.1 Razz
Aikilo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:55 am Reply with quote
Minami-Asakura wrote:
One Piece showing who is THE KING.

In fact, AoT sold more than OP for this period
- AoT : 8 695 100
- One Piece : 8 543 430

Just saying...
Ushio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:58 am Reply with quote
Oh Silver Spoon so close to getting a volume to 1 million sales.

Well next year OP, AoT and Kimi will be the only ongoing 1 million+ volume sellers with Naruto over.

Also with how well Terraformers sells I'm surprised the anime bombed so badly with volume 1 barely selling over 1000 copies.
Ushio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:00 am Reply with quote
Aikilo wrote:
Minami-Asakura wrote:
One Piece showing who is THE KING.

In fact, AoT sold more than OP for this period
- AoT : 8 695 100
- One Piece : 8 543 430

Just saying...

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-11-30/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series-2014/.81607

One Piece - 11,885,957
Attack on Titan - 11,728,368

Just saying.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:00 am Reply with quote
One Piece, Shingeki no Kyojin, Naruto and (surprisingly) Kimi ni Todoke with more than 1 million is sales.
One Piece and Shingeki no Kyojin sold well year-round, but Naruto, IIRC, sank a little in early-middle of 2014, but since the seies has ended at the year-end, seeing it at the top of the charts in within expectations. Kimi ni Todoke's placement is unexpected for me, since I don't remember it being a big seller (I remember is sold well, and was in the Top 10 Sales Charts nearly the entire year), since I was sure Tokyo Ghoul would've outsold KnT.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:02 am Reply with quote
I'm going to waste exactly one more post in this pointless discussion to say I don't hate One Piece and have never said I did, so the one showing "ignorance" is not me. I may have watched two or three episodes of the anime, period. To put it simply, its insufferable fandom (or what I want to believe is a minority -albeit a very annoyingly vocal one- of the fandom) has always pushed me away from ever wanting to give it a try. I've had way too many pointless arguments with OP fanboys who know nothing but attack and insult anyone who dares insinuate that OP isn't the best shit ever made in the history of everything, or heck, commit the blasphemy of liking a different chinese cartoon.

Also, calling people "ignorant" doesn't make you or your "argument" any smarter.

Back on topic, I too am surprised by KimiTodo placing so high. I wonder if this high sales will be enough to grant a third anime, I especially want to see if there'll be any progress for Ryu and Chizuru, and I've tried to pick up the manga but this is the kind of story that only works for me in anime form.

And ouch for just one Bleach volume barely making the top 50. The writing and pacing have been terrible lately, but still ouch

Last edited by CrowLia on Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:36 am Reply with quote
I'm interested in seeing this kind of list in the West, considering AoT had a lot of impact there this year as well. It may not be at the top, but it does have the most volumes on there.
Ushio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:41 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
One Piece, Shingeki no Kyojin, Naruto and (surprisingly) Kimi ni Todoke with more than 1 million is sales.
One Piece and Shingeki no Kyojin sold well year-round, but Naruto, IIRC, sank a little in early-middle of 2014, but since the seies has ended at the year-end, seeing it at the top of the charts in within expectations. Kimi ni Todoke's placement is unexpected for me, since I don't remember it being a big seller (I remember is sold well, and was in the Top 10 Sales Charts nearly the entire year), since I was sure Tokyo Ghoul would've outsold KnT.

Kimi ni Todoke has had volumes selling over 1 million copies for years but as a monthly series with breaks it usually places in the 20's in the series chart.
Niello

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:08 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

You know, if I actually liked OP I would be thoroughly ashamed if my fandom were constantly dragged through the mud because a handful of full-of-themselves tools feel superior to others because the shit they like sells more than the shit other people like

I feel just that. It goes without saying that the manga is one of my all time favourites. I'm happy that the manga I like is topping the chart but seeing some fans actually boasting about it arrogantly just feels repulsive.
Jajanken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:21 am Reply with quote
Ghoul, AC and Sakamoto are killing it. Its beautiful!!!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:36 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
You know, if I actually liked OP I would be thoroughly ashamed if my fandom were constantly dragged through the mud because a handful of full-of-themselves tools feel superior to others because the shit they like sells more than the shit other people like

Thankfully, I'm a sports fan. As such, I've grown to be able to judge things not by their fandoms, but rather by the performance of the team (or in this case manga) on its own merits.

It does suck for people who are not capable of that though, must be mighty annoying. Just be grateful that you don't have to likely be around these guys while they're drunk and swearing and looking to pick a fight.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:41 am Reply with quote
The One Piece fandom is huge and it seems ridiculous to judge the series let alone the entire fandom because some overzealous fans brag about sales. Who cares!

Attack on Titan is also selling extremely well and it is also a large fandom with both lovely and obnoxious fans just like all large fandoms.
shakir0247

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:52 am Reply with quote
lol
I like One Piece as much as the next guy, but all this self-aggrandizing only serves to make an ass of yourself. Ironically, you sound like a One Piece villain; "Haha, I'm top dog and anyone who thinks they can beat me is pathetic and shouldn't even try."

Can we just be happy that a good manga is selling well WITHOUT turning this into a dick measuring contest and antagonizing everyone who doesn't follow it?
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:50 am Reply with quote
Well I'm not surprised about One Piece being on top, the others well I don't know what to comment about the other titles, but congrats I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2