• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Stream Yurikuma Arashi Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
I'm not falling for either Funimation's or Hulu's extortion deals: I wait the week.

Crunchyroll's outright blackmail of a four week waiting period? Just makes the previous season last longer. But it does make me stay away from them completely.

Guys, guys; I'm already paying enough for the internet. Besides, with subscription services, I feel compelled to watch these things and to be perfectly blunt, most simulcast anime in a season is pretty lousy, Viz gave up trying to gamble {I don't blame them but they're retreated into nostalgia which I hate} and Funimation and Sentai can only pull off successes by volume.

Oh yeah, Yuri Bear Storm. Yeah, this is a Sentai title up and down. Funimation should just stick to mainstream, fan service and mainstream fan service. On the other hand, they're releasing Daimidaler though they retitled it from The Sound Robot Daimidaler to Daimidaler: Prince versus Penguin Empire so the new, new title could be anything from "Yuri Bear Storm: Girls and Flowers Over Bears" to "Yuri Bear Storm: Bears! It's Raining Lesbians!"

Yup, should have gone to Sentai.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:58 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Crunchyroll's outright blackmail of a four week waiting period? Just makes the previous season last longer. But it does make me stay away from them completely.

Can you suggest a better incentive for people to get a subscription? The free service has to have some kind of flaw in it, or else they have no business model.

Quote:

You're assuming Sentai wanted it at all. Ikuhara shows are fairly niche, I don't think anyone is viewing this series as a potential hit.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I've read that Ikuhara liked the Rachael Lillis' Utena performance so much that he named his car after Rachael.

I've never heard that before, but I find it plausible enough to be apocrypha that I could fall far. A lot of that dub was pretty rough and unequal to the material, but I thought that Rachael Lillis did very excellent work.

Animerican14 wrote:
Bit funny to see all the rejoicing at the fact that Funimation acquired it. Is the specter of Stephen Foster hovering so badly, even though it sounds like he's done with ADR directing? :^) Or has the disdain come to specifically include its current ADR Directors, like Christopher Ayres or Janice Williams? What I probably blame more than anything is the Sentai business machine overall (or what used to be that machine, since I've not seen any real recent Sentai dubs).

I think that a lot of people do have specific distaste for Stephen Foster's directorial choices. He sometimes seemed to think that he was bigger than the material and produced work that wasn't so much adaptive as highly affected and personalized to his desires. For my part, I don't demand absolute fidelity by any means, but I think that some of his work was genuinely unprofessional and not nearly as cool as he intended.

I do agree that Sentai's unmerciful production schedule is much to blame. Even as talented and reliable a performer as Monica Rial can perform dubiously if forced to churn work out too fast for anybody to think about whether it's any good. That, however, is an even more compelling reason to be glad that Sentai doesn't have this license. Even if Stephen Foster were still there, he did good work sometimes and wouldn't necessarily be assigned to this series, but any amount of talent or effort can be limited or undermined by a third-world sweatshop production method.

Animegomaniac wrote:
Oh yeah, Yuri Bear Storm. Yeah, this is a Sentai title up and down. Funimation should just stick to mainstream, fan service and mainstream fan service. On the other hand, they're releasing Daimidaler though they retitled it from The Sound Robot Daimidaler to Daimidaler: Prince versus Penguin Empire so the new, new title could be anything from "Yuri Bear Storm: Girls and Flowers Over Bears" to "Yuri Bear Storm: Bears! It's Raining Lesbians!"

This paragraph is a pile of mostly inscrutable, glib nonsense that acts like it's made an argument or offered an insight, but really given nobody reading reason to believe or agree with anything except perhaps the idea that the person who wrote it is staggeringly arrogant and obnoxious. Which is pretty much the case for most of what you subject us to.

Neverminding that long-simmering exasperation at your attitude, on its merits, I can't think of why anybody should benefit from FUNImation sticking to, "mainstream fanservice." I don't see how that would benefit anybody. It might be a modest benefit to FUNImation's balance sheet if odder shows are consistent financial losers, but probably not enough to matter. If you're concerned solely with streaming, it could benefit those who don't subscribe to FUNIMation's service and are too impatient to wait a week, but that I see that as a small inconvenience. For those interested in a home video release, it seems obviously preferable as FUNImation usually has higher production quality standards than Sentai Filmworks.

Unless you were ordained as Supreme Patriarch of anime licensing and nobody told me, the assertion, "Yup, should have gone to Sentai," is vacuous. And if you have been so ordained, then consider me an apostate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:27 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Oh yes, because they handled Penguindrum so exquisitely with lots of love and care didn't they?

I mean, that dub was just great. The way it so smoothly transitions between English and Japanese during Ringo's daydream sequences, the way they accidentally mistakened that one masculine girl character who had a brief relationship with Yuri for a guy even thought the fact that she was a girl was kind of important, that one background character voiced by Brittney Karbowski in episode 12 who sounded completely different when she pops up again in episode 13, the way they also replaced Tabuki's (Who is a very prominent character throughout the entire show) voice actor with the far deeper voiced Andrew Love halfway through the series, the excellent performance of Illich Guardiola who sounds exactly like a teenager and definitely wasn't horribly miscast due to a lack of effort on the part of Sentai Filmworks, the natural flowing dialogue, the script that's so faithful to the original that it's almost identical to the subtitle script which once again was a conscious desicion made by Sentai and in no way done out of lazi - Okay this isn't funny. But then again there's nothing funny about Sentai ruining fantastic shows with extremely lazy, sub par dubs when Funimation are busting their ass to create great dubs for garbage like Highschool DxD. Not to mention Sentai's actually decent HOTD and Watamote dubs.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know what happened to the Yurikuma and why it's not listed on the Funimation site. Crunchyroll is doing it outside. Anyone have any idea why this is.
rheiders

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Does anyone know what happened to the Yurikuma and why it's not listed on the Funimation site. Crunchyroll is doing it outside. Anyone have any idea why this is.

Delaycast. I have no idea why they're still doing this, but I guess they are.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

Delaycast. I have no idea why they're still doing this, but I guess they are.

Thanks for the update. I guess if nothing happens today, they better luck tomorrow. I was all up to watch episode 1 but maybe I'll see if I can wait until 2 eps are available. Don't want to expect to much.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
just updated on their facebook page: ep 1 will be up Wed 1:30pm EST. all future episodes will be up three hours after they air in Japan: Mondays at 1:30 pm
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
just updated on their facebook page: ep 1 will be up Wed 1:30pm EST. all future episodes will be up three hours after they air in Japan: Mondays at 1:30 pm

Thank christ. I'm not sure I could handle two days of Anitwitter blowing up about each episode and throwing up screencaps all over the place before watching it every week. Anime dazed
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info. I was going a bit insane trying to find it.

I guess as long as the delay is only for the first ep I can live with it.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

I'm glad that FUNImation seems to be getting their act together when it comes to streaming. I remember with some irritation when their securing a streaming licenses meant several weeks of delay.

Of course, I'll still be on a week's delay because I don't subscribe to their service, but at least a week is all it will be. Yuri Bear Storm will make for a fine, if wildly different, successor to Rage of Bahamut: Genesis as my Monday night show. If this keeps up, I might need to reconsider a subscription.

I'm still not sure what to think of this show, but it's too weird and out there not to have my curiosity, especially after seeing the opening D'you suppose there'll be lesbians? (One might, incidentally, not want to watch that at a place of employment, especially if you work for sort of people who are excited about the prospect of Mike Huckabee running for President)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:01 am Reply with quote
Mmh, that's pretty disappointing that Funimation is going to be at least two days late with this first episode. What was it that delayed the episode's airing on their end, especially since Crunchyroll was able to distribute it in other languages in a much timelier fashion? Can they really be counted on to provide the next episodes closer to the original premiere date?

Still ticked that I can't see this on Crunchyroll with my premium account; there are enough ongoing monthly expenses as there are for me right now, yet it's not a pleasant thought at all to see this series at a lower resolution on a commercial-filled Hulu. Why couldn't this have been one of the few series to show on both FUNi's and CR's streaming service? Razz

Surrender Artist wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
I've read that Ikuhara liked the Rachael Lillis' Utena performance so much that he named his car after Rachael.

I've never heard that before, but I find it plausible enough to be apocrypha that I could fall far. A lot of that dub was pretty rough and unequal to the material, but I thought that Rachael Lillis did very excellent work.

This is not really 'apocrypha'-- it was actually said somewhere in the limited edition set of the Apocalypse Saga for Revolutionary Girl Utena, whether that was in its accompanying guidebook or (most likely) among the director's commentary track provided during the very last two episodes. (The same commentary track that was provided on CPM's original DVD, IIRC.)

Surrender Artist wrote:
Animerican14 wrote:
Bit funny to see all the rejoicing at the fact that Funimation acquired it. Is the specter of Stephen Foster hovering so badly, even though it sounds like he's done with ADR directing? :^) Or has the disdain come to specifically include its current ADR Directors, like Christopher Ayres or Janice Williams? What I probably blame more than anything is the Sentai business machine overall (or what used to be that machine, since I've not seen any real recent Sentai dubs).

I think that a lot of people do have specific distaste for Stephen Foster's directorial choices. He sometimes seemed to think that he was bigger than the material and produced work that wasn't so much adaptive as highly affected and personalized to his desires. For my part, I don't demand absolute fidelity by any means, but I think that some of his work was genuinely unprofessional and not nearly as cool as he intended.

Oh, I'm sure plenty of people have had a specific distaste for Foster, but I'm not so sure if the specifics of that distaste (which seem to go little beyond his "Fosterisms") could be applied to his adaptation of Penguindrum, as the English script probably stuck too close to what the subtitles conveyed. Those subtitles admittedly had a bit of dub-title flavor to them in some noticeable instances, but they meshed pretty well with what I had already come to understand via the fan subs.

Anyway, aside from the obtainment of the streaming rights from the get-go, I'm also satisfied that this was acquired by FUNimation rather than Sentai. I'd have preferred that Penguindrum be acquired by FUNi back when I was anxiously waiting a license announcement myself. However, I doubt I'm going to like this series quite as much as I did the last Ikuhara anime, so I wouldn't have minded a world where Penguindrum and YuriKuma had their license-holders switched around, hah.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3