• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Not That Kind of Resolution

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Looks like someone beat me to the CS Lewis quote but is one I also wholeheartedly agree with.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:40 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
"To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence."

I do believe this is the exact part of the quote I was talking about, and I remember reading it & thinking "Yeah, why should I be ashamed of what I like? Because other people say I should?" I can still be a mature, educated member of society while still enjoying stuff that others would "blush" at, and I can find enjoyment in that stuff in ways that neither they nor my younger self would notice.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:14 pm Reply with quote
"Mature" literally means "finished growing." Most people don't take this to mean that they can't ever change, but that they can no longer do anything associated with growing, i.e. "childish" things. Which... ends up having somewhat the same effect.

There's no finish line to growth. You'll never know everything. All the more reason not to cut off a large source of information just because it's supposedly behind you, or beneath you.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Some anime will be worse. Gundam Wing, for instance, i just rewatched that. Probably one of the worst Gundam shows. However, i was also able to appreciate the animation, and could appreciate what they did right on a much deeper level.

Just because my understanding and appreciation of anime increased doesn't mean I have to hate entirely on the show.

As a counterpoint of my own, there's some older stuff you can't/won't/refuse to appreciate when you were younger but now with a much more developed understanding of all the things that go into every show, even 'bad' ones.

--_
As a final note, I remember a quote, something along the lines of
"Don't love just the anime that is considered the best, because the best of anything is such a small percentage of the total. Learn to appreciate the stuff in the middle, because that's the true heart of the medium.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I have a feeling that revisiting some of my shows from when I was a newbie I wouldn't enjoy them as much. I have Deltora Quest rated as a 10 on MAL, simply because I remember it being a kickass fantasy and my first real hook into anime back when it aired here when I was in late elementary school.

However, I have a feeling that revisiting it now I wouldn't be quite as blown away, though I would like to see the last dozen or so episodes which weren't English dubbed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
For me, Robotech is the genesis of my attraction to anime.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Here's an uncomfortable truth: you will probably not still like some of the old shows you remember fondly.

I think this is generally true across all mediums, but with me personally and anime I've found the opposite. Apart from stuff I was into when I was really young, like Pokemon and Dragonball Z, most of my early favourites have seemed better and more fulfilling when I revisited them 10+ years later. I think that might be because I for whatever reason jumped straight from kids stuff to slower or more dense shows that I was probably not actually mature enough to appreciate fully when I first saw them.

One thing I have noticed is that I really don't remember how bad some older shows looked (a similar phenomenon occurs with videogames). In particular, anything from the early 2000s when they were first going all digital just looks horrendous now; even something like Haibane Renmei, which has fantastic art direction, is kind of hard to look at.
Freyanne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Most of the anime I watched as a kid, I can still enjoy it now, flawed as they are. I usually don't have on a "tight pair on nostalgia glasses" when it comes to childhood favorite series, and I know what to expect whenever I decide to rewatch a show for old times sake.
However, there are some anime that I loved at a kid/preteen, and upon rewatching it in recent year, I just cant get into it anymore. Most anime I watched on Toonami I still like watching it (such as Gundam Wing, as flawed as that series is), but I once tried to watch an episode or two of Tenchi Muyo and I couldn't bring myself to finish watching it. Same with Love Hina, which I admit I can't believe I actually liked it (unlike with Tenchi Muyo). This is likely because of me not really liking the harem genre as I grew older.

One other anime that the last question reminded me of was/is Excel Saga. When that anime first came out, I loved it so, so much. Thought it was so hilarious. Saw most of the series back then, save for the last few episodes. When I saw it was on Netflix a couple of years back, I try rewatching it. Just could not really enjoy it, no matter how hard I tried. I think it might have been in part because of its dated/pop-culture humor. So I pretty much had to force myself to watch it so I could at least see how it ended (not sure if I felt it was worth it, heh).
Still a fan of the OP, though.

The same thing applies to non-anime shows I watched growing up. I can still watch the heck out of most of the early 90s Nickelodeon/Disney series, and I am a bit surprised I can still enjoy watching Animaniacs. Tiny Toons Adventures, on the other hand...
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:00 pm Reply with quote
The anime I started with was Dragon Ball Z, and it still holds up pretty well, same with other early anime I watched like Utena, Slayers, Yu Yu Hakusho, One Piece, and Cyborg 009. The only one that doesn't really hold up too well is Tokyo Mew Mew, but it's still a fun watch for nostalgia's sake. Most of the other stuff I watched as a kid still holds up well too, and there are shows like Dexter's Laboratory and Powerpuff Girls where I find new ways to appreciate now that I'm older. Those two shows were just so well-done (at their peaks anyway), same with Rugrats. What DOESN'T hold up well? The Hanna-Barbera stuff I watched on Boomerang is probably the worst-hit. The shows are pretty harmless though and difficult to hate. The original Scooby-Doo is still a fun watch, even if stuff like Zombie Island technically holds up much better.

There are some anime dubs that don't hold up well though. I'm still trying to decide if Utena's dub is the one of the worst ever or one of the BEST ever (it makes an already surreal show even MORE weird). My favorite overall anime dub has shifted from Slayers to Black Lagoon over the years, though I still enjoy the former's.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
One who thinks he's "too old" to enjoy certain things or one who knows he's "too old" yet still enjoys them? A good example of that would be in one of the game show ANNCasts, where Zac pretty much admitted that Nintendo was having the best games at the moment, yet sounded like he hated to say that. It came off like, to Zac, Nintendo is too "kiddy" for his "mature" self, ergo he shouldn't be thinking of their titles in the same vein as the more "mature" stuff he plays, yet the fact that something like Mario Kart 8 (just for an example) was better than many of those other games seemingly goes against his ideals.

100% incorrect, a total misreading of how I felt about that.

I thought I was done with Mario/Zelda/Mario Kart etc because I felt for the longest time like they were making the same stuff over and over again and if I didn't find anything addictive about Mario Kart for the 3DS or the Gamecube what in the world would attract me to the new one? Turns out I was wrong and I totally got drawn in to the new one. Had nothing to do with perceived "maturity". I've always felt that the people complaining about Nintendo being too "kiddy" were joyless teenagers playing at being adults without understanding what it actually meant.

You're talking to a guy who voluntarily spends at least a half-dozen days a year at Disneyland. I don't have kids. I just go with my fiancee for funsies. Please don't tell me that I'm too cynical or playing at being "mature" to just have fun with and appreciate things many consider to be childish.

Quote:
Zac & Justin are both admittedly very cynical, so to them stuff that's more kiddie/family-friendly isn't going to resonate with them anymore

Nope, wrong.

Quote:
in fact, they may hate their younger selves for actually enjoying that kind of stuff (how much hate depends on the specific title).

Jesus. Completely incorrect. This kind of overfamiliar psychoanalysis is downright insulting. You don't know me as a person well enough to say anything like this about me whatsoever, and you'd cry blue bloody murder if I were ever this unbelievably presumptuous with you, on this personal a level.

Last edited by Zac on Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
re: rewatching stuff

I feel the same way about some of the series I loved in the past. I got into anime at a time where I had no Internet access, and the people who I discussed anime with were also fans of the same series I watched.

But now, with access to the Internet, where I can read the opinions of hundreds/thousands of other people who did not like the series I liked, I feel like some of that has tainted my opinion of the series I once loved so much. I mean, some of those opinions have valid points which I may not have considered the first time I watched.

And so, to this day, I am yet to watch the Platinum edition boxset I have of Neon Genesis Evangelion (bought it years and years ago for $120), nor have I touched my Inuyasha boxsets (bought 3 seasons/boxes, $100-$120 each).

Sometimes ignorance is bliss. I watched the second season of Psycho Pass, and initially I thought "this is awesome, can't wait to see what happens next!", but I had also been reading ANN's episode reviews, and as the series progressed, the reviews painted a negative picture of the series. Yes, some of it may be valid criticism of the show, but I can't help but feel that when it seem the whole world is saying a show sucks, it makes it harder to enjoy it.

Sort of like that Seinfeld episode where Jerry is dating a girl, but after he finds out that she used to go out with Newman, and that Newman was the one who ended the relationship, he is consumed by thought of what could be wrong with this woman he's dating that she would be rejected by Newman. He ultimately dumps her without ever confirming any flaws in the woman.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Jesus. Completely incorrect. This kind of overfamiliar psychoanalysis is downright insulting. You don't know me as a person well enough to say anything like this about me whatsoever, and you'd cry blue bloody murder if I were ever this unbelievably presumptuous with you, on this personal a level.

Okay, I apologize. I am deeply sorry if you took that very harshly, as that was not meant to be my intention. I went too far in what I was trying to get at and I promise to never go that direction again. I'll refrain from posting in this topic again, as it's obvious that I went in a bad direction.

As for how I'd react if you did the same with me, I honestly wouldn't care all that much, since you're not familiar with me. You would only be able to go off of whatever I make public online, much like what I (admittedly) did with you. It was a stupid thing to do, but if it was done to me I'd simply take it all with a grain of salt, maybe laugh it off, and move on. I messed up, I take all blame & shame, and that's nothing else I can add to this.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I have the advantage that I first encountered anime after I turned 50. While I've been watching it for 17 years now my taste hasn't changed a lot. Anime has changed some, so that I now watch shows that weren't available to me back then. However, that is in addition to the shows I previously liked not in place of them.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

As for how I'd react if you did the same with me, I honestly wouldn't care all that much, since you're not familiar with me. You would only be able to go off of whatever I make public online, much like what I (admittedly) did with you. It was a stupid thing to do, but if it was done to me I'd simply take it all with a grain of salt, maybe laugh it off, and move on. I messed up, I take all blame & shame, and that's nothing else I can add to this.

So instead you tell me how I'm supposed to react to it. The internet. I love it.

You interact with me all the time here and on Twitter. I would've laughed it off or ignored it if it had been someone I didn't know at all but you've been following my work and engaging with me for years. I know who you are, I've had you on the podcast before. It's different.

Anyway. Consider it laughed off.
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I think I've had the reverse: I was never really convinced with, say, Pokémon or Dragon Ball Z that "this is the best thing EVER", just that I enjoyed watching them when they were on. Conversely, series like Evangelion and "Cardcaptors" I've found to be much better than my memory. I guess when I was 14 I thought Naruto was a lot better than I do now, though.

In regards to tastes evolving, I have become inured somewhat to the common tropes and clichés you see, but I still enjoy most of what I watch, even if I don't think the show is actually good. Sword Art Online is a good example of this. I watch and manage to enjoy most new anime, although there are fewer that I really think are special, so I suppose I've "matured" in that way.

Tenchi wrote:
When The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya gets the Blu-Ray release, it will rocket to the top of my anime "must buy" list (whenever I have enough money to spare). I also have Lucky Star and Cowboy Bebop on DVD but I'm fine with the DVD quality of both.

But Haruhi was produced in SD, the 2009 episodes were sub-720p and Cowboy Bebop was a cel anime, so it looks vastly superior to Haruhi. You're sort of got that backwards. Have you seen BD screencaps of Haruhi and Cowboy Bebop at all?

consignia wrote:
The plot is a quite nonsensical, but you watch for the style rather than the substance. Isn't an Akiyuki Shinbou series? From what I recall, it was very proto-Shaft. I'm not saying that it's worth buying, but it does have it's merits.

I watched it for those reasons, and have to say that I took away not a redeeming feature... well, other than that OP. Love a good Masaaki Endoh piece.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5