• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin III Live-Action Film's Making-Of Video Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desslok

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Would someone hurry up and license this thing for the states? I want to see it so bad, my teeth ache!
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The film will be released on Blu-ray and DVD in Japan on December 18

Typo, it should say February, not December.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Desslok wrote:
Would someone hurry up and license this thing for the states? I want to see it so bad, my teeth ache!

I don't know if that would happen because a lot of Japanese film hasn't been picked up for the last few years according to Zac, and an article I read from Variety has said this:

Mark Shilling of Variety wrote:
While some argue that with such a big domestic market, the Japanese biz can afford to regard foreign sales as simply the mint after the banquet, Takashi Nishimura, who as managing director of UniJapan is responsible for promoting Japanese film abroad thinks differently.

“(The Japanese film industry feels) a sense of crisis that the domestic market is no longer enough,” Nishimura said last year at the Intl. Film Festival of India in Goa. “But Japanese films are made only for Japanese.

Meaning I'm not sure if the live-action Lupin the 3rd film can ever be picked up outside of Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Desslok

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Aw man - that's too bad (well, a too bad in theory). I was hoping that someone would take the jump based on the fact that we got the '10 Yamato and the '13 Harlock movies in pretty short order.

Well, we'll see if it pans out or not. . . . .
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Desslok wrote:
Aw man - that's too bad (well, a too bad in theory). I was hoping that someone would take the jump based on the fact that we got the '10 Yamato and the '13 Harlock movies in pretty short order.

Well, we'll see if it pans out or not. . . . .

I don't think it's possible. Because as I've observed Japanese films after 2011 are not being picked up for home video releases outside of Japan.

Even on Dramafever which has feature films from South Korea and China. They don't have a single Japanese film aside from some small J-dramas catalog.

On Hulu, there's only quite a few recent Japanese films on there, majority of the Japanese films that Hulu has are classic one.

Also Viki has picked up several Japanese feature films. Here's the problem, you need a Viki Pass (aka a subscription) to watch them, in other word those Japanese films Viki has are not for free to view. The only one that are for free are short films (The 2 Japanese films that are for free, Gakudori-Young drifters and Phoenix don't have English subtitles at all).

I like to add Funimation used to picked up Japanese films, but after 2010 they stopped. They recently picked up the live-action Space Battleship Yamato but no other Japanese films beside that.

Yes, it really suck that Japanese films are not getting US releases when Chinese and Korean films are getting more US releases (including US theatrical premiere too).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
At least Madman picked up the license for this film in Australia. So it's not staying Japanese exclusive forever.

Hopefully someone like Discotek could buy the licence if the price isn't too bad. They're the ones saving Lupin from going dead in North America, so I think that they'd be perfect for this film.

It's a shame that the only way I can watch most Japanese films these days is through torrenting. I'd gladly pay for them legally if they were available. At least Criterion is giving me my fix for classic Japanese cinema.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:
At least Madman picked up the license for this film in Australia. So it's not staying Japanese exclusive forever.

Well that's good news. But I highly doubt this will get a US home video release or anything beyond that.

Quote:
Hopefully someone like Discotek could buy the licence if the price isn't too bad. They're the ones saving Lupin from going dead in North America, so I think that they'd be perfect for this film.

It's a shame that the only way I can watch most Japanese films these days is through torrenting. I'd gladly pay for them legally if they were available. At least Criterion is giving me my fix for classic Japanese cinema.

I have a low optimism for this film to get a US release. As I said, a lot of Japanese films are not being picked up for US release. I remember Funimation used to picked up a lot of Japanese films and after 2010, Funimation stopped picking up Japanese film (other then getting the live-action Yamato film) and have decided to pick up films from Mainland China, and 2 Korean films. Even Japanese film companies are not taking advantage of Hulu and Dramafever to show these films, even Viki is requiring their Japanese films catalog to be watched by their paid subscribers to watch while we non-subscriber get a big exclusion from these Japanese films, it's not fair.
Desslok

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:

Looks like it's a R4 import for me then! Pity, I'd rather have gotten this domestically, but you gotta get it from wherever you can, I guess.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Desslok wrote:

Looks like it's a R4 import for me then! Pity, I'd rather have gotten this domestically, but you gotta get it from wherever you can, I guess.

Yeah well it's unfortunate that Japanese film industry are not taking the international market seriously when films from Mainland China and South Korea does. I'm really worried for the Japanese film market and their mentality.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Desslok wrote:

Yeah well it's unfortunate that Japanese film industry are not taking the international market seriously when films from Mainland China and South Korea does. I'm really worried for the Japanese film market and their mentality.

You've even got people like Takeshi Kitano criticizing the Japanese film industry from a domestic perspective. As Westerners, we're obviously not the only ones complaining here. Japanese films and their industry used to be so great.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:16 pm Reply with quote
mdo: I'm still baffled by why the live-action Kenshin films haven't been picked up.

Quote:
“But Japanese films are made only for Japanese.”

So they're admitting they're fine with people pirating their stuff. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1