• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon Announces Shana OVA, Two Seasons of Lyrical Nanoha, Deltora Quest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadow_Hiei

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:29 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
craziplaya21 wrote:
nanoha will be so butchered Smile
*hugs his R2 dvdrips*

ximpalullaorg wrote:
I'd like not you to generalize. I bought my fair share of R1 DVDs. But, simply, if they don't offer a quality release (i.e. some noteworthy extras and not just a box like they did with F/SN) I'm not even considering buying it.

What the **** is wrong with you people?

Geneon licensed two niche series you like/love. They are going to offer them with the Japanese language intact. They are putting the series out on DVD.

And yet somehow you aren't going to buy these niche series -- types that really need support by the fandom if you want them to become available and for more to be produced in Japan -- because it might not include "extras." Are you more concerned with buying and supporting series that you like -- y'know, the actual content -- or are you just concerned with useless glitter?

That's so damn pathetic.

You're wasting your time. People like them would rather choose to ignore the money that the R1 anime market pours into the R2 anime market, and most of them would rather go on believing that this is still the 90s and all anime dubs are garbage.

I can see where ximpalullaorg is coming from though. I really wish that all R1 anime companies would give every DVD that they produce the FMP: TSR treatment, or at least give them all a good DVD that make it look like they really care about the product and some good cover art that'll look good on the shelf instead of "dub, half assed cover art, static title menu with a picture and the OP playing in the background, advertisements of our other products for extras, ship it" like you sometimes find. It really makes it feel cheap. But, like I said, at the very least, you have higher quality picture and sound, and the money is going to help make sure that future anime get good funding.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Geneon's too late with the accuisition of Nanoha. Especially since they're getting two seasons worth.

At any rate, hopefully Geneon won't promote Nanoha like the dreaded Bandai Visual promoted Galaxy Angel Rune. "Moe-Moe" doesn't translate well in the West; so I don't know how long it'll last.

Damn, though. It seems that the bottom of the barrel is being scraped by these companies: ADV had licensed Gainax crap (hot off the heels of licensing that pro-NEET crap). Right Stuf releasing Emma with no dubbing. And Bandai Visual still catering to the high-end otaku.

I was hoping for Busou Renkin (and maybe the newer Negima anime) to be licensed. Something like that. Oh well...
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm so happy that they've announced Nanoha-- I've been waiting for this. It's also great to hear about the Shana OVA ... finally a box!! I wasn't expecting Deltora Quest at all so that really surprised me. I watched the first few episodes but it didn't hold my attention too well and I dropped it... but I think I'll consider it as a rental.

ximpalullaorg wrote:
I'd like not you to generalize. I bought my fair share of R1 DVDs. But, simply, if they don't offer a quality release (i.e. some noteworthy extras and not just a box like they did with F/SN) I'm not even considering buying it.

So you're saying a quality release is one with a bunch of useless trinkets? I'd just be happy that we're getting shows like this released here and by a company, that IMO, always puts out the best-looking releases in R1. But I guess everyone has different standards...
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Admittedly I was there at the panel, but I'm not familiar with Lyrical Nanoha or the Shana OVA. So I have two questions:

1) I looked in the Encyclopedia under "Lyrical" and "Nanoha" and unless my eyes and spelling have failed me - which I really wouldn't be surprised about - I can't find it in there. Could someone help me out.

2) Is the Shana OVA connected to Shakugan no Shana? Again, I checked the Encyclopedia, and didn't see anything similar to the teaser that they played.

The teaser of Guardian of the Sacred Spirit looked really good, the fight scene definetly piqued my interest. I'll have to see about that.

**bitch, moan, whine, complain - AGAIN!**

Geneon didn't announce Ouran High School Host Club or Code Geauss. Nor did ADV! Funi's my only hope now...**crosses fingers for tomorrow**
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

1) I looked in the Encyclopedia under "Lyrical" and "Nanoha" and unless my eyes and spelling have failed me - which I really wouldn't be surprised about - I can't find it in there. Could someone help me out.

The full title is Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:22 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

AH HA! I was missing two very important words! Thank you, your Excellency!
shadow_Hiei

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:36 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
EmperorBrandon wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

Don't be put off the title... Nanoha starts off as magical girl crap (first three episodes), but by the half way point, its a great action show, and As is awesome.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:43 pm Reply with quote
shadow_Hiei wrote:

Don't be put off the title... Nanoha starts off as magical girl crap (first three episodes), but by the half way point, its a great action show, and As is awesome.

I like Magical Girl crap.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Yay for Shana OVA. But more importantly, HELL YES for Nanoha. When can I place my preorder?

Seca wrote:

Yea, Geneon said the OVA will come with a box for the entire series.

....and yay for boxes.

ximpalullaorg wrote:
But, simply, if they don't offer a quality release (i.e. some noteworthy extras and not just a box like they did with F/SN) I'm not even considering buying it.

Oh for God's sake. They licensed the [expletive] show. You saw the show fansubbed, you clearly liked it, so buy the damn show.

LydiaDianne wrote:
shadow_Hiei wrote:

Just be warned: Nanoha is not your typical magical girl show beyond the first 3-4 episodes. Its magical girls kicking magical ass. But definitely give it a look.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:22 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

ximpalullaorg wrote:
But, simply, if they don't offer a quality release (i.e. some noteworthy extras and not just a box like they did with F/SN) I'm not even considering buying it.

Oh for God's sake, your just a cheap bastard. They licensed the [expletive] show. You saw the show fansubbed, you clearly liked it, so buy the damn show.

I've got to second that one.

Quote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
shadow_Hiei wrote:

Just be warned: Nanoha is not your typical magical girl show beyond the first 3-4 episodes. Its magical girls kicking magical ass. But definitely give it a look.

Thanks for the heads up. It's on my "Want to See" list!
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Sweet, the Shana OVA. But what about the movie? Sad

Seca wrote:

Yea, Geneon said the OVA will come with a box for the entire series.

*dies* YES!! I love you, Geneon! I wish I could go down to their headquarters so I can give everyone a big hug. Mr. Green

I wonder if they will prelicense the second Shana season ....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:31 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
EmperorBrandon wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

Next time, if you couldn't find a title under alphabetical lists, use the search engine located at the upper right corner of every page.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:33 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
EmperorBrandon wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

Next time, if you couldn't find a title under alphabetical lists, use the search engine located at the upper right corner of every page.

You would think...that after over a year here...I would remember to do those little things...but noooo...I don't.

I still appreciate the help and the reminder.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:42 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
shadow_Hiei wrote:

I'm into magical girl shows (for the most part), so this is one I was pretty into from the very beginning. It takes some interesting twists, though, and is quite an excellent show, even for those who might not be into the "magical girl" genre. I definitely hope a lot of people give the R1 release a chance.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:

ximpalullaorg wrote:

What the **** is wrong with you people?

Geneon licensed two niche series you like/love. They are going to offer them with the Japanese language intact. They are putting the series out on DVD.

And yet somehow you aren't going to buy these niche series -- types that really need support by the fandom if you want them to become available and for more to be produced in Japan -- because it might not include "extras." Are you more concerned with buying and supporting series that you like -- y'know, the actual content -- or are you just concerned with useless glitter?

That's so damn pathetic.

First of all, moderate your language. I'm discussing my views, and I'd rather keep the discussion on a civil tone.
"Putting the series out on DVD" isn't exactly enough. Since the DVD is a digital media, and since the price isn't exactly cheap, worthwhile extras are the minimum for a quality release. Otherwise, I may as well buy the R2 DVDs if they're practically the same (and no, I'm not interested in any dub).
DVD is not a VHS. I'd rather pay for something that is worth my money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5