• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Carlo Bernhardi

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marshall2000_uk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Great article.

It all started for me when my dad showed me Devil Man, Castle in the Sky and Vampire Hunter D, which he recorded on Channel 4 in the early hours in the morning. Can't imagine anyone will ever find anime this way again though but it is far more popular now.... Thank God Very Happy
Robodaz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Nice one, Carlo/Andrew....
The great Sea-Change that swung minds and birthed a fandom.
Nice one....

Robo.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:57 am Reply with quote
I had wondered how people saw Anime in the UK before Cartoon Network and and CNX.
Magigreen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote
I remember seeing Castle In The Sky on ITV around 1989
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
That was a very interesting interview. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
andyos
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I only really became aware of anime as anime with Akira, though I grew up on Battle of the Planets and Ulysses 31; I also rented Warriors of the Wind long before I knew who Miyazaki was.

Last edited by andyos on Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
andyos
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
The following message comes from Carlo Bernhardi (I'm forwarding it on his behalf).

"Thank you all for taking the time to post your thoughts about my personal trip down memory lane, a mostly forgotten time of exploration and discovery, and thank you Andrew N. Osmond for plucking me out of obscurity!

It was way back in 2007 when I first thought that someone should chronicle those early days of the late 80's and early 90's UK Anime & Manga Fandom. After a year or two of procrastination, ok, ok, it was 2013 when I settled on a Blog instead of a website, it was high time that I organise my collection of fan letters and correspondence from Anime Pen-Pals, those early translated Manga that I still had, and boxes of all the paperwork that UK and US Anime distributors had sent me, and what paperwork I still had from the days that I ran my Fan club 'Anime Kyo UK'.

Even after these 18 months or so of cataloguing and blogging I estimate that it will take 4 years to post what I have, so please drop in from time to time to my little museum of the time the Anime Fandom forgot.

If you all could spread the word or offer encouragement, to keep me going that would make my day.

http://anime-nostalgia-facility.blogspot.co.uk/ "

Thanks,
Carlo
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1