• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2015 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Otaku bros. Otaku bros never change.
I take it you're not a member then?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really sure it IS for girls. I didn't see anything that would appeal to the ladies except maybe the character design. Also, I don't really seen any "you should watch manly anime" comments. I'm telling people to watch Free!, or something older. Like Gravitation. Gravitation is freaking awesome, at that one literally IS gay. Or Love Stage, if you want something a tad more recent. Just not THIS.

PS: I don't actually recommend Love Stage for the humor. I didn't think it was that funny, but compared to this catastrophe, it's 7 times better.

Last edited by DmonHiro on Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:19 pm Reply with quote
If something rearranges cliches in a way that feels even kinda fresh I and most of our other critics will give it its due.

There is literally nothing in the first episode of Absolute Duo that felt like they were trying at all. It seemed to me like the Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 of "light novel magic school harem" shows.

edited for less-absolutist tone

Last edited by Zac on Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
That Lukifer thing -

Is it basically the Japanese pronunciation of Lucifer? I feel like it's been said that way in other series. Similarly, Eyeshield 21's Cerberus was pronounced Kerberus, and Cyprus (the country) is Kipurosu.

It's just a word for a made up thing that is derived from Lucifer. Slightly modifying and repurposing existing words is extremely common. English is 100% that.

And yeah, his name is supposed to be Toru, but Julie hears it as "Thor."

Anyways, I found it pretty enjoyable. Unoriginal =/= bad, you know. The flavour of any dish is never the same, even if all the same ingredients are used.

Besides, it just makes the differences that are there stand out more. Did no one else notice how Julie wasn't vehemently opposed to sharing a room with a guy? How she didn't treat him like a dog and divide the room? How she didn't act like he'd rape her the first chance he got? How she didn't scream and slap him when she came out of the shower?

Last edited by Vaisaga on Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:
Otaku bros. Otaku bros never change.
I take it you're not a member then?

No, I'd be an otaku ho in that equation. Fee-mayul.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I honestly doubt the people behind Absolute Due (LN or anime) are really trying. While I will probably enjoy it (unless is goes Mahou Sensou retarded on us), it's pretty much a checklist of LN fantasy battle tropes. That's not a bad thing in and of itself, but it's not going to light the world on fire.

Still, it has battles, super-powers, cute girls, a MC that is kind of badass.
Also, the main girl is not a violent tsundere, that's always a plus.

Tamura Yukari as a ditzy teacher is another plus.
Horie Yui as a loli, potentially crazy teacher is yet another plus.
The music is also pretty good, and the OP did get me interested in why the hell is Tooru a burning corpse in a wasteland.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
No, I'd be an otaku ho in that equation. Fee-mayul.
That would explain that tone of your response then, though I would like to class you as a "sister" to be more respectful of your otaku-dom. Wink
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Absolute Duo seems like good fun. Seems like it might be similar to Lord Marksman and Vanadis and Bladedance of Elementalers. Somehow I'm just drawn into these kind of shows. Shame it's not available on CR for me.

"Sorry, due to licensing limitations, videos are unavailable in your region." I've always wondered: What the heck does that even mean? What limitations? Does it cost more to make it available in my country? Why is Yona available and Absolute Duo isn't.
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I'm not really sure it IS for girls. I didn't see anything that would appeal to the ladies except maybe the character design

Really? Laughing It starts with the dudes butt-naked in the bath together (with the promise that this will be one of their regular hang out spots, sort of like the arcade in Sailor Moon) and then there're all the really obvious innuendos (LOVE STICK!!). The show so far is drenched in man-service. I don't really get why a guy would feel the need to dictate whether a show is "for girls" anyway? Guess it's one of those things that happens every season tho lol.

Anyhoo...
Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! (4/5): If it wasn't already obvious, I had a blast with this episode. When I heard the premise it sounded like a one-off joke that might be amusing as a five-minute gag series but wouldn't be able to carry a full-length show, but man, they really went for it 110%! Definitely liking the Evil Student Council a la Utena, and everything about the chikawabu monster was hilarious. Looking forward to more!

Kamisama Kiss s2 (3.5/5): There was an uncomfortable rape metaphor in there for no reason, but otherwise this was a nice, sweet reintroduction to the series. I like the monkey.

I can't wait to watch Yurikuma Arashi when Funi streams it tomorrow. Between that, magical boy show, and Jojo's I'm not sure even I can handle all the camp!

Edit: Just took out a sentence I wasn't a fan of.

Last edited by rheiders on Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Absolute Duo seems like good fun. Seems like it might be similar to Lord Marksman and Vanadis and Bladedance of Elementalers. Somehow I'm just drawn into these kind of shows. Shame it's not available on CR for me.

"Sorry, due to licensing limitations, videos are unavailable in your region." I've always wondered: What the heck does that even mean? What limitations? Does it cost more to make it available in my country? Why is Yona available and Absolute Duo isn't.

Because Funimation is streaming it in North America.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:

There's a lot that goes into acquiring licenses and different licenses cost different amounts. And there isn't just a singular license agreement that gives worldwide rights. They have to be acquired separately, so yes, making it available in other countries does cost more money. But Funimation has said they are working on expanding their available regions.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
I don't really get why a guy would feel the need to dictate whether a show is "for girls" anyway? Guess it's one of those things that happens every season tho lol.

No offense, but unlike Free! (yes, I keep using it as an example), this one has absolutely nothing to offer for a guy. So yeah, this one IS "for girls".
There were several things in Free! that kept us guys interested. The male bonding of the swim team was very well developed, and quite accurate. Those who were part of sports teams really appreciated the details. If you spend all year in a team with your friends, you're going to develop a strong bond. But I digress...

What could POSSIBLY be interesting for a guy if he does not find the humor amusing in this show?
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:

Being foreign loanwords, there isn't a "proper/correct" way of pronouncing them in Japanese.
So Lucifer (hard c) is usually pronounced ルシフェー (rushifē), but making it sound like a soft c (lukifer [ルキフェー ; rukifē]) is also possible.
And yes, Cyprus is pronounced キプロス (kipurosu).
Trivia time is over Razz

Thank you for the explanation! I suppose I should have said 'variant' pronunciation.

Vaisaga wrote:

It's just a word for a made up thing that is derived from Lucifer. Slightly modifying and repurposing existing words is extremely common. English is 100% that.

I don't think it's that; the Lukifer pronunciation shows up often enough. The Japanese Wikipedia gives it as an alternate 'classical Latin reading' as using the 'k' sound. I mentioned Cerberus because English-speakers tend to say "Serberus", but in Greek it's Kerberos and in Japanese it's ケルベロス/Keruberosu. In both cases, I think they're just going to the root language, but it still means the same thing.

Last edited by RestLessone on Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Because Funimation is streaming it in North America.

Well I live in Scandinavia so why would that affect me? Just kind of weird that Bladedance of Elementalers is available here but Absolute Duo or Lord Marksman and Vanadis isn't. Yona is available... which must be a rare exception.

So if Funimation acquires it, it won't be available. SAO is available, AoT isn't... What the heck?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

What could POSSIBLY be interesting for a guy if he does not find the humor amusing in this show?

Have you possibly considered the existence of gay men that watch anime?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 38