• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon Announces Shana OVA, Two Seasons of Lyrical Nanoha, Deltora Quest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:59 am Reply with quote
shadow_Hiei wrote:

You're wasting your time. People like them would rather choose to ignore the money that the R1 anime market pours into the R2 anime market, and most of them would rather go on believing that this is still the 90s and all anime dubs are garbage.

I can see where ximpalullaorg is coming from though. I really wish that all R1 anime companies would give every DVD that they produce the FMP: TSR treatment, or at least give them all a good DVD that make it look like they really care about the product and some good cover art that'll look good on the shelf instead of "dub, half assed cover art, static title menu with a picture and the OP playing in the background, advertisements of our other products for extras, ship it" like you sometimes find. It really makes it feel cheap. But, like I said, at the very least, you have higher quality picture and sound, and the money is going to help make sure that future anime get good funding.

First of all I'd like a good dubbed title, but US dubbing quality is nowehere near the Italian dubbing industry, so I skip the dub track most of the time. But that's not the main issue.
I'm supporting a company when they do something that is above the mean quality of the US releases, but I'm not supporting companies that treat DVD as a more expensive VHS (this is especially true for ADV and their abysmal quality). Even the worst anime company here in Italy, with a fraction of the US userbase, doesn't resort to this.
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:53 am Reply with quote
What?

No Monster anime announcement?

That said, yay for the Shana OAV...

Will also buy Nanoha...

Guess that's that.

If Die Hard wasn't so awesome, my day would probably be ruined (especially since my computer is appreantly too FAIL to utilize the iPhone).
dopespike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:11 am Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:

First of all, moderate your language. I'm discussing my views, and I'd rather keep the discussion on a civil tone.
"Putting the series out on DVD" isn't exactly enough. Since the DVD is a digital media, and since the price isn't exactly cheap, worthwhile extras are the minimum for a quality release. Otherwise, I may as well buy the R2 DVDs if they're practically the same (and no, I'm not interested in any dub).
DVD is not a VHS. I'd rather pay for something that is worth my money.

This is what I got from your post...

whine whine whine whine... I'd rather pay $50 to get something from Japan then pay less then $30 for something I can get in the states... whine whine whine...

Personally, if this is your view then just get R2 DVDs. Your $30 is no use here when you would rather spend $50 for the Japanese release or whatever the price is for the Italian release for all I care. If that's too much for you then I don't know what to tell you.

In most cases like Desert Punk and various other anime, the extras are taken right from the R2 disks. As far as I know, ADV, Geneon, Funimation, and a few other companies are just distributors. That means they take what they have and distribute it to the US. Extras can be added or taken away depending on what the Japanese company that owns the rights say. In other words, extras can't just be added without approval from the Japanese company and producing something costs money just to be shot down by the licensor like how the Haruhi cannot be released dubbed in broadcast order only as an extra disk that you have to pay for.

If you're complaining about dubbing then well, there is always the Japanese track.

and

Quote:

First of all I'd like a good dubbed title, but US dubbing quality is nowehere near the Italian dubbing industry, so I skip the dub track most of the time. But that's not the main issue.
I'm supporting a company when they do something that is above the mean quality of the US releases, but I'm not supporting companies that treat DVD as a more expensive VHS (this is especially true for ADV and their abysmal quality). Even the worst anime company here in Italy, with a fraction of the US userbase, doesn't resort to this.

whine whine whine... I can't tell the diffrence between a picture that's 240i VS 480p.

I really don't understand where you are getting DVD is not a VHS from. You are getting between 4-5 episodes per ~$30 that you spend compared to 2 episodes at the same price. The quality is much better on DVDs in the last few years than they ever were. Some companies do a fairly poor job at transferring masters to DVD but they are improving quite a bit. I think ADV has some really nice picture quality in comparison to a few other companies out there. Granted, more extras would be nice but you gotta sacrifice quality of the video to cram more stuff onto a disk... or OMG even less episodes. I'd rather have more episodes then more crap.

Back to the topic, I'm really glad Shana OVA and Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha are licensed. Geneon has done a decent job with the Shana series so far.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:21 am Reply with quote
Good to know that Geneon's Shana release will be just a bit more complete, and the artbox is another piece of good news.

As for Nanoha, well...if Geneon takes a massive hit on it, maybe next time they'll think twice before licensing something based on 20 people's signatures on AnimeonDVD. I'm not saying it's a bad series, but anything "Magical Girl" is just retail poison these days. And even the AoD fans of the show were suggesting using just "Nanoha" as the title.

I'm willing to check it out though, based on the good-ol TV-fansubs, not the "let's give people an excuse not to buy the DVDs" R2-DVD-rips. The reviews I've read have been good, and it seems cute enough. Plus I do like Magical Girl anime enough to pick it up on DVD, and I can "tolerate" the moe-loli elements Wink
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:27 am Reply with quote
dopespike wrote:

whine whine whine whine... I'd rather pay $50 to get something from Japan then pay less then $30 for something I can get in the states... whine whine whine...

Unfortunately I can buy R2 JP DVDs or R1 DVDs for the same price, so that is not the issue here. I have to import both anyway.

Quote:

Personally, if this is your view then just get R2 DVDs. Your $30 is no use here when you would rather spend $50 for the Japanese release or whatever the price is for the Italian release for all I care. If that's too much for you then I don't know what to tell you.

Good way to miss my point entirely, For me, it's a matter of supporting companies that do a good job. If a company work doesn't meet certain standards, I'm not supporting it.

Quote:

In most cases like Desert Punk and various other anime, the extras are taken right from the R2 disks. As far as I know, ADV, Geneon, Funimation, and a few other companies are just distributors. That means they take what they have and distribute it to the US. Extras can be added or taken away depending on what the Japanese company that owns the rights say.

Then why companies here that have a fraction of money (and I mean it, an average anime DVD can't go past 2000 copies, and the price is roughly equivalent to the ones published in the NA market) do a better job in trying to market their products, adding extras?
And I'm well familiar on how the licensing and permission works, since I had a brief experience in the market a few years ago.

Quote:

I really don't understand where you are getting DVD is not a VHS from. You are getting between 4-5 episodes per ~$30 that you spend compared to 2 episodes at the same price.

A certain number of episodes, a dub track and a sub track, sometimes even without chapters is the sign that DVD is treated just like VHS, i.e. a bigger storage device that permits to mix sub and dub, and nothing more. What''s the advantage in using a digital format then?
Stuff like Overman King Gainer R1 release is a good example of how a good edition with extras is.
If Geneon does the same, laughable attempt, at trying to market a box edition as limited with Nanoha (which will stir some controversy as anime, I'm pretty sure of it) I'm not getting it. That is all.

Quote:

Granted, more extras would be nice but you gotta sacrifice quality of the video to cram more stuff onto a disk... or OMG even less episodes. I'd rather have more episodes then more crap.

Whoever said that is the only outcome?
Akakori

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:14 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
As for Nanoha, well...if Geneon takes a massive hit on it, maybe next time they'll think twice before licensing something based on 20 people's signatures on AnimeonDVD. I'm not saying it's a bad series, but anything "Magical Girl" is just retail poison these days. And even the AoD fans of the show were suggesting using just "Nanoha" as the title.

I think the Nanoha fanbase is rather larger than those "20 signatures". But I am keen to see the DVDs do well, so I agree with your point about changing the title: Nanoha or Lyrical Nanoha. Just dropping the Magical Girl bit might stop some people from skipping over it without a second look just because of the title. Besides, it's so much more than a lame magical girl show.
Panon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:36 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
The reviews I've read have been good, and it seems cute enough. Plus I do like Magical Girl anime enough to pick it up on DVD, and I can "tolerate" the moe-loli elements Wink

If you're looking for "cute" and "moe-loli elements" you're looking in the wrong place.

Or magical girl anime for that matter, since after about half of it's first season it throws magical girl conventions in the trash, that's precisely the appeal of it.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:08 am Reply with quote
Akakori wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
I think the Nanoha fanbase is rather larger than those "20 signatures". But I am keen to see the DVDs do well, so I agree with your point about changing the title: Nanoha or Lyrical Nanoha. Just dropping the Magical Girl bit might stop some people from skipping over it without a second look just because of the title. Besides, it's so much more than a lame magical girl show.
I'm sure the fanbase is larger, but considering some of the posts in this thread of "Geneon's gonna butcher it / I'm keeping my fansubs" and Zac's observation that these kinds of shows attract "that" kind of fan...I can't be too optimistic. Heck, maybe ADV's doing the same thing with AIR, picking up a series with a vocal minority that wants it, even though it might not have good sales potential.

But just to clarify, I'm not blaming the AoD userbase for Nanoha's potential "underperforming" or starting any forum wars. And Magical Girl or not, I'll take people's word that Nanoha is a quality series, and plan on picking it up. (Heck, it even qualifies as good sight unseen via my personal "Fansub group taste test," i.e. "I haven't seen series A or series B. Group X subbed Series A, so series A is probably good, but Group Y subbed Series B, so it probably isn't good." Unscientific, yes, but it usually works.)
mastertr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:22 am Reply with quote
Awesome. Cannot wait for Shana OVA to be released. I am also reeeeaaaallllly hoping and praying that they end up picking up both the movie and the second TV season as well =X
Brians9824

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:28 am Reply with quote
I'll definitely be getting Nanoha on dvd. For the people bitching about it who happen to speak japaneese and can get an R2 dvd for the same price as R1 good for you. Your not who they are making these dvds for so sorry.

These are for all of us folks in the US who want to support the show, get better quality video, and don't speak japaneese. I personally don't care about special features i will probably never watch unless its useful stuff like the cultural notes in Excel Saga.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:42 am Reply with quote
Brians9824 wrote:

These are for all of us folks in the US who want to support the show, get better quality video, and don't speak japaneese. I personally don't care about special features i will probably never watch unless its useful stuff like the cultural notes in Excel Saga.

Basically, you're telling that any version that comes out is ok. Then why people are bitching about Bandai Visual releases? According to this argument, there's no reason to.
Oh well, I guess it's pointless to discuss this issue, years have passed and I still get the same old replies.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:30 am Reply with quote
About time someone licensed Nanoha. Pity that the opening and transformation sequences pretty much rule out sharing it with any friends I want to keep :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:45 am Reply with quote
I'm so happy about this announcement!

Between this and GL Saturday turned out to be one hell of a day for announcements...seems like I"m going to be more poor than usual this coming year...WHEE!
Brians9824

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:43 am Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
Brians9824 wrote:

Basically, you're telling that any version that comes out is ok. Then why people are bitching about Bandai Visual releases? According to this argument, there's no reason to.
Oh well, I guess it's pointless to discuss this issue, years have passed and I still get the same old replies.
\

Thats exactly what I'm saying. Not everyone here wants to pay $25 for dvds with bonus content. Many of us would prefer cheaper shows with packaging not as good that can be purchased at a more affordable price as long as the quality is the same. Right now the only way I can watch this show is via fansubs. I'd love a dvd quality version and wouldnt care about extras.

I know quite a few people that only care about the quality of the animation and quality of the dub. They don't care about menu's, extra's etc. Now if they were to take a barebones production and try to charge a premium for it then yes its an issue. A large portion of the anime industry only cares about price which is why stripped down versions only containing the show sell well. I'm more then happy to save $30 for a series and not get some sketches or director interviews I could always see online. Unless the extra content is something really good like the Excel Saga cultural notes that really add to the show by explaining references you'd most likely miss or something like the Mai-Hime Omake shorts after each episode which are freaking hilarious I wouldnt really bother watching extras.

However since pricing and extra's haven't been announnced speculation is pointless. I will agree a good quality box is important for the series. The first Mai-Hime box was pure garbage but the second more then made up for the flaws in the first. Who knows though, maybe they will make a special edition box that comes with a little replica of their weapons in jewel form.
Yumi-san

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I am happy that Geneon licensed the Shana OVA and the first two seasons of Lyrical Nanoha.

However, I would be really happy if they would license Maria-sama ga Miteru. MariMite is one of my favorite anime and I would love to own both TV seasons and the OVAs. I would even be willing to buy a subtitled only release. I couldn't imagine anyone besides Kana Ueda voicing Yumi anyway. She did an excellent job and I don't think that they could find anyone that could do a comparable job in a English dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5