• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Vote For the Seinen Manga Series That Most Deserve a Sequel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OH&S

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Evil or Very Mad Vote NO for GANTZ sequel. Evil or Very Mad
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I love MONSTER and 20TH CENTURY BOYS (the latter being my favorite Seinen, and well ahead of HUNTER X HUNTER, my favorite Shonen), but those series don't need sequels. One might have issues with their endings, especially with 20CM, but a sequel wouldn't really "fix" them, and no thinking human being would like to see it try.

Now, a series I want to see a follow-up to: SHADOW STAR NARUTARU. It's been more than 10 years since it ended, but stranger things have happened.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I thought 20th century boys had a sequel called 21st century boys
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:24 pm Reply with quote
21st Century Boys is just the final two volumes of 20th Century Boys. It's the same story. If anyone has hard sources on why that change in name happened, let me know.

I love Urasawa's series, but I agree with the above commenter that they don't need sequels. I think sequels would almost ruin them, especially with Monster. I could see doing a story that spun off from a few of the legion of minor characters in 20th Century Boys, but that's about it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:49 pm Reply with quote
If you wanna go there, Silent Service did continue in the form of a rip-off called The Last Resort on ABC. Wink
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Not a sequel, but I think AKIRA deserves a full animated adaptation. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
^ YES. Multi-movie. And not awkwardly transposed to New York City.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:58 pm Reply with quote
None of these series strictly need sequels, but while I love Parasyte I was really dissatisfied with its ending and wouldn't mind seeing a sequel or alternate redo or two.

Also, I love Black Jack and I know it actually has sequels and tribute manga, but none of them were published in the States. Bring 'em here!
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:26 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
21st Century Boys is just the final two volumes of 20th Century Boys. It's the same story. If anyone has hard sources on why that change in name happened, let me know.

I love Urasawa's series, but I agree with the above commenter that they don't need sequels. I think sequels would almost ruin them, especially with Monster. I could see doing a story that spun off from a few of the legion of minor characters in 20th Century Boys, but that's about it.

Wow, thanks for that; I would've charged ahead and jumped straight into 21st Century Boys!

That said, I feel like the supplemental material to Monster (which is readily available online; the uploader is super chill about lending out the files, since they're pretty large to just upload) pretty much covers everything else you could want to know about Monster, past and present. Like how Johan spoiler[orchestrated the events at 511 Kinderheim] and what he does after spoiler[leaving the hospital].
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:49 am Reply with quote
Monster for sure.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, I don't think that Monster needs a sequel, but a Monster-esque story (maybe even set in the same universe) would be nice
one.night.bkk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:01 am Reply with quote
Initial D just ended... Not that a continuation would be a bad thing. But yeah, a Silent Service sequel (on that note, a US release of anything by Kaiji Kawaguchi, particularly a reprint of Eagle, would be great), and ESPECIALLY a Maison Ikkoku sequel would be awesome.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Initial D deserved a proper sequel halfway through its run... but when it ended the author was clearly burnt out with the series. I'm sure when his new series doesn't sell he'll probably write a continuation within a few years...
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:04 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
^ YES. Multi-movie. And not awkwardly transposed to New York City.

Or even an animated TV series with a really big budget. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:15 am Reply with quote
What 20th Century Boys needs is an animated adaptation. The live-action movies were decent, but come on, let's get to it. And don't argue it's too late, obviously this list shows it's still popular.

"Kenji-kun... asobimashou..."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1