• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Looove these games. I have no problems on replaying them years later and enjoy them again both in terms of plot and especially characters and humor as gameplay (I still remember some moments, but I forget about many so I can still replay the cases and think a little bit).

I don't like to think about them as indivudal games though (even though there is a storyline shared by those cases), in the sense that I think about all of them as a whole and divide them into cases, for example if I want to talk about the case of the circus I say the case 2-3 ('game'-'case of the game'), because it's more intuitive to me and I like some cases more than others in all the games that I cannot choose a singular game I like more or less. By the way, my favorite is the 2-4 case (The Killer), it's just exciting and the most subversive of all.

In terms of localization, I am spanish and our translation actually does use the USA names (which I'm thankful because the japanese are hard to remember, the americans are very distinctive), but it doesn't indicate any place in the real world (well, yes, Franciska von Karma comes from Germany and Ema Skie goes to Europe, but they never say the actual country the characters are even once). It's not USA or Japan, it's just never mentioned. I feel it's the best choice because you can assume if you want it's fictional or Japan because of things that happen specifically there (the whole Fei culture, the constant earthquakes, etc.).
kill-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Are these games structured in routes?
I mean, do their plots depend on the choices I make?
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quote
kill-chan wrote:
There's a handful of immediately bad end choices, but no, there's only one route through the game.
toddc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:17 pm Reply with quote
kill-chan wrote:

Nope, it's all a direct rail-ride. Some conversations are missed if you don't ask a certain question or show certain evidence at a specific time, but nothing changes the overall story.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Phoenix and Mia will poke around crime scenes,

Pretty sure it's supposed to be Phoenix & Maya.....for obvious reasons.
championferret

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Actually, the 'absurd presumption of guilt' isn't so 'absurd' when you consider the japanese legal system and how courts work. Prosecutors have a ridiculously disproportionate amount of power compared to defense attorneys, and over 95% of cases end in conviction.
It's actually incredibly common for the accused in Japan to admit to guilt, even if innocent, solely because the consequence is less severe when one confesses than when one is found guilty. When I studied in Japan I did a class about is and it was pretty shocking to learn about.
It also put Phoenix Wright in a different, more interesting context for me because a defense lawyer with a consistent winning streak would be like a super hero in Japan.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I lurve these games, but getting them for iOS would seem kinda pointless seeing as I have the originals already... And the fact that I don't have an iPhone or iPad. I don't care anyway.

What I DO care about is AAI2 getting an official English release ASAP! I don't wanna have to resort to using the fan translation!
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Actually, the 'absurd presumption of guilt' isn't so 'absurd' when you consider the japanese legal system and how courts work. Prosecutors have a ridiculously disproportionate amount of power compared to defense attorneys, and over 95% of cases end in conviction.
It's actually incredibly common for the accused in Japan to admit to guilt, even if innocent, solely because the consequence is less severe when one confesses than when one is found guilty. When I studied in Japan I did a class about is and it was pretty shocking to learn about.
It also put Phoenix Wright in a different, more interesting context for me because a defense lawyer with a consistent winning streak would be like a super hero in Japan.

Yeah, Ace Attorney is a biting criticism of Japan's flawed legal system. Phoenix is the defense attorney against impossible odds, while Dick Gumshoe represents the inept police force that tries their best, but are overall incapable. Miles Edgeworth's character goes through the greatest change throughout the series, and that's supposed to be a sign of some Japanese prosecutors wanting to find the truth, rather than just a guilty verdict.

Ace Attorney Investigations 2 (available via fan translation) and Ace Attorney 5 are the ones that tackle these issues the most, I think. Though I find AAI2 so far more worthwhile and entertaining than AA5, which was somewhat of a disappointment for me.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:05 pm Reply with quote
^ Apollo Justice also treats it in terms of the judiciary system (in this game I don't like how it's handled though). Haven't played the Edgeworth games yet.

If you know the context of Japan it's very insightful, but out of context I always was weirded out with the extremism of the take of the games with the defense lawyers, and I thought it was just taking one side (the one that creates the biggest tension and conflict, and also to make the whole mechanics of the game of trials make sense, which from what I heard in the Edgeworth games it doesn't) and I felt a little "geez, don't be so extremist". Now I know the context and I get it, but back then was a little awkward.

Spoiler from 2nd game: spoiler[And that's why I liked so much the 2-4 case (The Killer) between other reasons, because it did make the accused 'guilty', which was what was missing in the whole experience of mr. Wright, and in the trial you have basically to manipulate the truth instead of finding it, which made the development of that trial a crazy fight to nowhere that was amazing to read/play. And from the whole perspective view, it did respect the side of the fiscals which were too demonized before.]
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:58 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:

What I DO care about is AAI2 getting an official English release ASAP! I don't wanna have to resort to using the fan translation!

You kind of don't have no choice at this point since there's nothing that says Capcom has any plans on bringing the game stateside or to Europe....especially not a Nintendo branded device.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
FireballDragon wrote:

You kind of don't have no choice at this point since there's nothing that says Capcom has any plans on bringing the game stateside or to Europe....especially not a Nintendo branded device.

Exactly. I'd definitely recommend the fan translation. It's exactly like an official Capcom localization.

Flash cards are dirt cheap now. You can buy an R4i Gold for less than $20 online, and that also lets you play other ROMs, homebrews, and emulators.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:41 pm Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
FireballDragon wrote:

Exactly. I'd definitely recommend the fan translation. It's exactly like an official Capcom localization.

Flash cards are dirt cheap now. You can buy an R4i Gold for less than $20 online, and that also lets you play other ROMs, homebrews, and emulators.

Oh, what the Hell. I already have a flash card, so I guess I'll just go with the fan translation.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh, what the Hell. I already have a flash card, so I guess I'll just go with the fan translation.

You won't regret it! I've been playing it myself the past few weeks and it's fantastic. Unless Capcom ever releases this one, which is unlikely, this is the best you can do. I can't link you the ROM because of legal reasons, but it's fairly easy to find through Google.

It's far better than AA5 too. I think you'll enjoy it way more.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
I played the first one forever ago, but never got around to playing the rest, even though I liked it quite a bit. I already have the DS versions of the first three, but it would have been cool if the 3DS version had some sort of bonus for the rerelease.

I liked the first game a fair bit. Good story, good characters, some frustrating moments when you're trying to convey to the game what you're trying to do, but it wants you to do it in some specific obtuse way, it's very much an adventure game. I was thinking of replaying it and working my way through the rest of the series. I have a big gap in classes this semester and have been trying to think of a good game I can play while killing time in a cafe.
Ahridan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
This is my favourite game series of ALL time, played the original trilogy, Apollo Justice, the first Miles Edgeworth title (damn you capcom), and have almost finished Dual Destinies. Once thats done im gonna get the new 3ds remake of the trilogy and also make a start to the Layton-Wrigth crossover
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2