• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon Announces Shana OVA, Two Seasons of Lyrical Nanoha, Deltora Quest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:12 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
Brians9824 wrote:

These are for all of us folks in the US who want to support the show, get better quality video, and don't speak japaneese. I personally don't care about special features i will probably never watch unless its useful stuff like the cultural notes in Excel Saga.

Basically, you're telling that any version that comes out is ok. Then why people are bitching about Bandai Visual releases? According to this argument, there's no reason to.
Oh well, I guess it's pointless to discuss this issue, years have passed and I still get the same old replies.

No, we (or I, at least) are saying that not buying a series because it doesn't have extras is retarded. Extras are exactly that, extras. They should only be a concern if you are paying more (i.e. special/limited editions or when a company like BV asks people to pay absurd prices for less content). You watched the fansubs, so support the damn show.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

No, we (or I, at least) are saying that not buying a series because it doesn't have extras is retarded. Extras are exactly that, extras. They should only be a concern if you are paying more (i.e. special/limited editions or when a company like BV asks people to pay absurd prices for less content). You watched the fansubs, so support the damn show.

Way to go for politeness, but I'm not putting myself on the same level.
I already explained it: DVD is not a VHS. Paying 25 dollars for a (more expensive) storage media without any extras isn't my idea of supporting a company.
And I didn't watch the fansubs, just to clairfy the situation. It's not like everyone who has some doubts is a pirate that doesn't want to buy legit copies.
Brians9824

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:04 am Reply with quote
First of all where the hell are you even paying $25 per dvd? No one pays MSRP. Go order off Rightstuf or Deepdiscountdvd and they are $15-20 shipped.

Secondly welcome to the 1990's. Dvd's are vastly cheaper then VHS. Mainly because in order to make a VHS tape they'd need to spend Hundreds of Millions re-tooling their factories since its a dead format. The reason's for DVD are higher quality and they last longer. I'm sorry you miss vhs tapes but get over it,

Simple fact. If you live in the US and want to watch the show you buy the US dvd's. Thereis no other alternative for nearly every american anime viewer. Like its been said extra's are just that, extra. Even then they are usually taken off the japaneese dvds so companies that license the show don't have any say in the matter. It's not like Geneon can make their own extra's for the show.

If you want to pay for R2 dvds in japaneese fine, 99% of the anime viewers in the US don't understand japaneese so its a moot point. While you buy those R2 dvds remember they usually only contain 2-3 episodes compared to 4-5 for US release.

You also seem to be forgetting that a LARGE portion of anime users would prefer buying the discs with no extra content at a reduced price compared to paying a premium for extra's. They have done numerous studies and have been operating this way for years. It works very well for them.

Since the pricing or content of the discs isn't even announced yet i'm curious as to why you complain so much,
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:25 am Reply with quote
Brians9824 wrote:

You also seem to be forgetting that a LARGE portion of anime users would prefer buying the discs with no extra content at a reduced price compared to paying a premium for extra's. They have done numerous studies and have been operating this way for years. It works very well for them.

Since the pricing or content of the discs isn't even announced yet i'm curious as to why you complain so much,

I know the "userbase" wants that, but still I don't agree with that. The fact that "works well" is questionable. But again, I said it's pointless to discuss this since the discussion hasn't moved in years so I won't elaborate further.
I am not complaining. I'm stating that if Geneon goes the way it did for F/SN (something I wanted to buy but didn't due to a questionable release) I'll skip it.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:07 am Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Way to go for politeness, but I'm not putting myself on the same level.
I already explained it: DVD is not a VHS. Paying 25 dollars for a (more expensive) storage media without any extras isn't my idea of supporting a company.
And I didn't watch the fansubs, just to clairfy the situation. It's not like everyone who has some doubts is a pirate that doesn't want to buy legit copies.

You seem to have some serious misconceptions on what DVDs are for. What do you mean "more expensive"? Anime VHS tapes used to cost $25 for 2-3 episodes and one audio track. Add $10 if you wanted the subbed version instead. And you didn't even get a clean OP/ED. DVDs offer both language options, usually at least have a clean opening and ending and oftentimes more. But the extras are just that, extras. Basing whether or not you buy a show on the extras is moronic.

DVD is not VHS, you are right. It offers better video and audio quality along with language and subtitle options, and extras if they are available.

And since you are bitching about extras, what exactly is it you want, anyway?
Son Biggie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:09 pm Reply with quote
for me when I get a dvd of any anime the frist thing on my mind when I pop it into DVD player isn't "I can't wait to see those extras" that's the last thing on my mind what's on my mind is "I can't wait to see the next episode" I can really care less about the exrtas heck I don't even watch the exrtas the reason I get the anime dvds is because I want to see what happens next in a series
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:00 am Reply with quote
Not going to touch the debate.

I've never seen anything of Nanoha, but everything in this thread makes me think I'll love it. (The words "moe" and "loli" have been written and these intrigue me. Not in a perverted way either Zac! Wink )

Plus, I'm rather fond of magical girl anime. Why it doesn't sell in NA very well, I blame on a variety of causes, ranging from Barbie to the obsession many girls have with pointlessly expensive crap.

I'm not sure I can truly believe in the Shana box though. I want pictures. Lots of them.

Of Shana.

Preferably making out with Yuji with Yoshida crying in the background. Twisted Evil

I'm totally psyched about the box and the OVA. Given the way Geneon seems to be going after the extras for Shana and how it seems to be selling well, I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see them announce the movie sometime soon.

I wish they'd been the ones to pick up the second season of Ikki Tousen. Anime cry

What the hell happened with THAT one?
Keruza

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to the Nanoha releases by Geneon. A must buy for me (I hope I won't get stuck with some annoying Toll fee's XD)
LightYagami

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Sweet, the Shana OVA. But what about the movie? Sad

Seca wrote:

Yea, Geneon said the OVA will come with a box for the entire series.

*dies* YES!! I love you, Geneon! I wish I could go down to their headquarters so I can give everyone a big hug. Mr. Green

I wonder if they will prelicense the second Shana season ....

I'm pretty sure Shana season 2 will get licensed, its just a matter of time before it gets licensed just like any other series.

DKL wrote:
What?

No Monster anime announcement?

Totally agree couldn't of said it better myself. I'm just hoping we hear something at Otacon. When they announce that its licensed I will definitely pre-order EVERY DVD of Monster. And honestly if any anime distribution company is looking for a title that will broaden the market and appeal to an audience that wouldn't normally consider anime Monster will be the title to pull it off I can guarantee it 120%, as long as they do a good job at marketing it and manage to get it on prime time TV.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5