• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2007 - Dark Horse Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightYagami

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Summer 2008 for Gantz Shocked ? Why such a long delay to release it? They would have been better off announcing it at Anime Expo 2008.
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:22 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it's a pity it's so far off Sad
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I know I have been tempted more than once to pick up the Gunsmith Cats omnibus edition. I probably will end up getting it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:
Summer 2008 for Gantz Shocked ? Why such a long delay to release it? They would have been better off announcing it at Anime Expo 2008.

I can't take credit for this answer, someone else said it to me after reading your comment.

How exactly do you expect them to market and solicit a title if they announce it only a few weeks before the release?

-t
indrik

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little surprised Dark Horse picked up Gantz, although I'm not sure if it's reasonable to be surprised by it. I've had random thoughts of trying to get it in French or something (I probably would have if I could have found them in Canada) so I'll at least be checking out the beginning, after hearing how good it is from so many people. And I suppose I'm not sure who else would have been more likely to pick it up, so I really shouldn't be surprised. I guess I just figured somebody would have picked it up by now, if somebody was going to pick it up.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm more pissed that Dominion has been pushed back a year. I'm not a Gunsmith Cats fan, and Shirow does a helluva lot better here than Sonoda, so why does the latter artist get priority?! Mad
LightYagami

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:48 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
LightYagami wrote:

I can't take credit for this answer, someone else said it to me after reading your comment.

How exactly do you expect them to market and solicit a title if they announce it only a few weeks before the release?

-t

Tempest, now that I think about it you do have a valid point. It would be pretty hard to market this series if they only had a few weeks. I just hope that the quality for it is as high as or if not higher than what Berserk and Hellsing have received for their releases which I'm pretty sure Dark Horse will do the series proud and the justice it deserves.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:18 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Not to discredit what you said, but it's really case by case. I can't speak of North American licensors, but Muse announced OtoBoku on June 21st and started taking preorders on the same day, while Planetes by Mighty was announced in Feb. 2005 (that's over two years ago) and volume 1 is still "lost in space."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:38 pm Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
I'm a little surprised Dark Horse picked up Gantz, although I'm not sure if it's reasonable to be surprised by it. I've had random thoughts of trying to get it in French or something (I probably would have if I could have found them in Canada) so I'll at least be checking out the beginning, after hearing how good it is from so many people. And I suppose I'm not sure who else would have been more likely to pick it up, so I really shouldn't be surprised. I guess I just figured somebody would have picked it up by now, if somebody was going to pick it up.

The only reason this should be remotely surprising is because its a Shueisha title which normally would be published by Viz or no one. Otherwise, this is exactly the kind of title Dark Horse would publish. It probably took so long because of Shueisha's relationship with Viz.
mach747

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I too am disappointed with the delay of dominion, but what the heck ever happened to Seraphic Feather.

Last release was back in 2006, did they lose the rights or something?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:35 pm Reply with quote
everyone cheering when they announce gantz. thanks for the video
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1