• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2015 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YumeHunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:41 am Reply with quote
Why isn't anyone doing a first impression on KnB 3? I would've thought that at least one person has seen KnB? Also it is legally streaming on Daisuki.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:54 am Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
I agree with the gripes some people have with the reviews. Not that they have their own tastes, which is understandable, but it often devolves into a long winded rant rather than properly discussing what the show does. This is why I sometimes wish there is a dedicated ecchi/harem reviewer who won't go into a long diatribe about the genre and instead, just educates on what the show accomplishes/doesn't accomplish. It's not a matter of 'hiring fanboys' or anything like that.

I'm actually really curious about what you think a review would look like if it did that. Some of the reviewers give short synopses of what happened in the episode before delving into the "how" and "why" of what worked and what didn't. I can only imagine that the review style you're envisioning is something very close to that, and frankly, while I don't mind the refresher in the review itself, if that was the only part of the review, I can't see it being very helpful. It also strikes me as being very banal and boring.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:10 am Reply with quote
YumeHunter wrote:
Why isn't anyone doing a first impression on KnB 3? I would've thought that at least one person has seen KnB? Also it is legally streaming on Daisuki.

Nobody working on the preview guide had seen Kuroko's Basketball, but one of our Daily Streaming reviewers volunteered to cover it for the site, so it'll be part of our regular weekly review coverage starting next Saturday (1/24).
RHorsman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:43 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
"The heroes are villains and the villains heroes!" sounds like a pretty banal turn to take.

It's well trod territory, but it works here.

What I really liked about Yatterman Night was the complimentary mix of darkness and goofiness. There's a sort of Roald Dahl feel to the first ep. This isn't just a grimdark reboot of Yatterman, which I was starting to think was the case from some of the descriptions.
Rainrix

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:09 am Reply with quote
So far this season looks like a pass for me. Nothing too new...
cloud8100

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I think I'll pass on Aldnoah.Zero 2 then. I was kind of expecting that to happen but hoping it wouldn't.

Meaning to watch Durarara 2 and maybe Assassination Classroom.

Tokyo Ghoul, I will wait until the season finishes before watching but am looking forward to. I kind off hoped they would follow the manga though.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I can see the World Break motor boating scene becoming a new anime meme. Lucky bastard!
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Fafner was a good first episode, too bad both the genre and the fact that it's a direct sequel to a somehow "old" franchise (old = by current society standards) work against it getting more audience. Hopefully it doesn't walk the same path as the underrated M3 did.

EDIT: (cause I didn't realize this thread was for the whole winter 2015 anime preview thing) I had a BLAST reading the majority of the Aldnoah Zero 2nd Season ep#1 review from you guys...it was ALMOST better than watching the show and laughing at it.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:29 pm Reply with quote
This season is probably the least interesting for me ever. Not one new show excites me. I may check out a few pilots and I'll probably watch Tokyo Ghoul since I watched the first season/series, but I can't say there's anything of much interest to me.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:11 am Reply with quote
I like having a season that's got slimmer pickens, means I can focus on shows I missed.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:19 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I like having a season that's got slimmer pickens, means I can focus on shows I missed.

I agree. It's nice if they alternate for me. One season full of good shows I want to watch, the next not so much. Rinse and repeat. Then I can catch up on shows from the past 2 seasons I got behind on lol. Shoot, I am behind on almost everything from 2014. Crying or Very sad
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:46 am Reply with quote
Nick Creamer wrote:
Personally, I find this self-awareness almost painful to sit through - I've nothing against shows that have an awareness of classic storytelling beats, but Saekano doesn't actually use that awareness for anything. It simply comments on stale gags as it makes them, winking at the audience without actually turning that awareness into anything meaningful or new. It almost feels like the show is laughing at the idea of truly earnest storytelling, and instead of attempting to create something legitimately passionate, it simply wallows in the conventions it's familiar with.

This is actually how I feel about a lot of high profile stuff coming out nowadays, specifically from Aniplex/A-1 of late. It's kind of sucked a lot of fun and joy out of their anime for me since it often feels like they are being so cynical, blatant and crass about their approach and how it makes money anyway and like they are indeed thumbing their noses at the idea of legitimate straightforward storytelling and running an un-ironically inclined show that isn't just content to sit their and make a mockery of the past and the very things that have lead to their solvency and have made the building blocks of some of the stuff they worked on.

It's not just Saenai as it is to harem anime either, I get the same vibe off of Aldnoah/Zero which started up again this season as it relates to mecha anime if not so blatantly. That goes more to the producer talk surrounding the show and how it was going to be this cutting edge masterpiece that flips all the conventions of the genre on it's head and supersedes them all when really all I see that's happening is they just reversed a couple of tropes yet have them play out more or less to the same end result in the end anyway. Like how the MC was supposed to be this guy that uses his wits against powerful foes in life or death struggles really just playing out like he kind of has half a clue how to fight a duel while everyone else is just completely clueless or a totally arrogant idiot. It doesn't actually work unless there's legitimate tension in the battles. Like they could do something to get around this like having the conditions for victory be something else other than specfically winning the duel, but as it stands the MC might as well be in a super mecha himself for how challenged he's been to date in his simple trainer mecha which is possibly less so than what I see the average Gundam or Super Robot pilot deal with.

Mostly I just don't understand why it feels like no popular hyped up show can seemingly just follow a basic approachable to the average anime fan style of storytelling anymore where what you see is more or less what you get and thus you can get invested easily enough as the narrative builds on itself. Like what's so wrong with that approach now that it's so hard for big production companies to just utilize it instead of always trying to go with some pretentious self congratulatory feeling "cutting edge" storytelling method that usually doesn't pan out unless you're a hardcore otaku or really deeply invested in the source material or just plain by into all the hyping they usually do for these things without questioning it too much.

writerpatrick wrote:
This season is probably the least interesting for me ever. Not one new show excites me. I may check out a few pilots and I'll probably watch Tokyo Ghoul since I watched the first season/series, but I can't say there's anything of much interest to me.

I find anime has been pretty brutal since about the midway point of last year if not longer. See the blurb above for just a small number of misgivings that are kind of taking me out of a lot of supposedly top offerings in any given season. Too many shows trying to have their cake and eat it too or putting the cart before the horse or just reeking of the inflated egos and arrogance of the producers rather than just winning me over the good old fashioned way with solid storytelling and characters that are interesting to follow as the develop and interact in their own right. It just seems so basic but it's like hardly anybody wants to do it that way anymore.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Any reviews coming for Dog Days 3rd?

I understand the streams are somewhat restricted, however it is streamed in English in the few select parts of Asia where Crunchy streams it, and I also don't doubt the sizable fanbase elsewhere is following it regardless.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
On Dog Days":

1. No legal streams in N. America (where all of the reviewers and streaming staff live).

2. I don't believe any of us watched out the first two seasons.

Either of those factors would be a killer individually.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
On Dog Days":

1. No legal streams in N. America (where all of the reviewers and streaming staff live).

2. I don't believe any of us watched out the first two seasons.

Either of those factors would be a killer individually.

If they did a daily review, there might be a person who has seen the first 2 and is currently watching the third that give tell us what they think.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 36 of 38