• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Isao Takahata & Ghibli's Princess Kaguya Nominated for Oscar

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:54 am Reply with quote
Wasn't sure if this was gonna be nominated. So glad it is. Maybe it MIGHT have a chance since it doesn't have Frozen to compete with. The biggest competition might be Big Hero 6.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Wasn't sure if this was gonna be nominated. So glad it is. Maybe it MIGHT have a chance since it doesn't have Frozen to compete with. The biggest competition might be Big Hero 6.

Either that or How To Train Your Dragon 2. I'm really hoping Kaguya pulls through, though -- it was really an amazing film and even one of the best reviewed movies in the country this year.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quote
I'm glad Princess Kaguya made the nominee list, but what is up with the Lego Movie? I would have assumed that it would be a lock. Guess I will never really understand the Academy's way of thinking.

Mark Gosdin
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
Lego Movie snub is incredibly weird, but now that it's gone I think there is an actual chance for Kaguya to win this.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:50 am Reply with quote
Thank goodness Kaguya got nominated. It deserves all of the attention and praise it can get.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:04 am Reply with quote
Despite that I am not the biggest fan of The Lego Movie like everyone else, the way that it was only that annoying "Everything is Awesome!" song that got nominated for Best Original Song while the film itself got snubbed for Best Animated Film really shocked me! The fact that Laika's worst movie The Boxtrolls got a nomination over The Lego Movie was just plain criminal!

Anyways, between the two big mainstream animated films like Big Hero 6 and How to Train Your Dragon 2, I was personally more emotionally attached to the former than the latter so that film is my personal pick to win but it won't surprise me if the others won instead because they are all great in their own way as well except for The Boxtrolls, that film really doesn't deserve to get nominated because even The Book of Life is more deserving of the Best Animated Film Oscar than that film and even that film was snubbed as well!

Lastly, congrats to Princess Kaguya in getting the nomination but suffice to say, it's got some serious competition.

Last edited by Lycosyncer on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
kirisaki_kabuto

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:08 am Reply with quote
Yes! This makes me really happy! It'd be too sad to see one of the best anime movie directors of all time end his career without getting well-deserved international recognition.

Not only that but Kaguya Hime is a fantastic film that just isn't getting the attention it deserves. I hope this nomination will help its popularity. I think it has very low chances of actually winning since anime doesn't seem to be very well-regarded by the Academy, but the nomination alone is already a big accomplishment. I've seen all nominated movies and, while a couple of them were pretty fun, for me it'd be an easy pick for Kaguya.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:31 am Reply with quote
No Lego Movie really opens the door for Kaguya or less likely, Song of the Sea to win. Hero 6 and HTTYD2 are still tough to beat but Kaguya is the best reviewed film of them all, by far. In fact, Kaguya was possibly the best reviewed film of the year.

Also, with Ghibli's future up in the air, it may have sentimental votes on its side.

Last edited by bravetailor on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:31 am Reply with quote
Just this getting nominated for an Oscar should be enough to hopefully draw more attention to this gem cause Japan sure as hell doesn't seem to care enough about it to give it the credit it deserves.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote
No, plenty of Ghiblis in the past have been nominated, so getting a nom isn't a big accomplishment. It has to win to really get attention.
TnAdct1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
No, plenty of Ghiblis in the past have been nominated, so getting a nom isn't a big accomplishment. It has to win to really get attention.
However, this is the first Ghibli film not directed by Miyazaki to get nominated in this category, which is still an accomplishment in its own right.

As for the Lego Movie snub, that's just the tip of the iceberg in terms of the huge amount of snubs at this year's Oscars (i.e. one nomination each for Gone Girl and Nightcrawler, Life Itself not getting nominated for Best Documentary).
Radrappy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:53 am Reply with quote
good gravy I hope kaguya wins!

BH6 and Httyd2 were both awful.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:58 am Reply with quote
Hooray! A nomination was all I was hoping for. Because unlike Miyazaki, Takahata would benefit from the publicity. Because his name is far less widespread. And I too was surprised that The LEGO Movie didn't get nominated, but that just makes it more likely for Kaguya to win! Well, I doubt it will win. I think it more than deserves to, but it only has critical reception and Ghibli's brand on its side, whereas many of the other films also have popularity as a factor. But who knows? All I know is, I'm going to keep telling myself that it won't win all the way up until the actual awards, but when the award show finally airs I'll surely be hoping that it does. And inevitably disappointed just like last year. I don't think Ghibli's future being "up in the air" would help this all that much, since The Wind Rises had the "Miyazaki's last film" moniker on it and still lost. Then again, it was to Frozen.

But this film is a masterpiece, words cannot describe how highly I regard this film. It absolutely deserves the recognition and I hope more people seek it out because of it.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:08 pm Reply with quote
TnAdct1 wrote:
bravetailor wrote:
However, this is the first Ghibli film not directed by Miyazaki to get nominated in this category, which is still an accomplishment in its own right.

As for the Lego Movie snub, that's just the tip of the iceberg in terms of the huge amount of snubs at this year's Oscars (i.e. one nomination each for Gone Girl and Nightcrawler, Life Itself not getting nominated for Best Documentary).

I checked the past list of nominees and I'm surprised Arrietty wasn't nominated that year. So yeah, it is the first non-Miyazaki.

That said, I still stand by my contention that nobody cares about the nominees after the awards are handed out. It has to win to get real attention.

As for the Lego snub, I've heard that animators weren't as big on it as the general public, and since they are the ones who decide the animated nominations...here you go.

That said, watch next month it'll be some boring safe choice like How to Train Your Dragon 2 that wins. At this point it's up to the geezer voters to decide the winners. And when you have voters like these:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02/20/an-oscar-voter-spills-secrets-on-woodygate-wolfgate-and-awards-scandals.html

Quote:
If Her wins for original screenplay, is it possible that American Hustle will do a sort of Color Purple and go zero for 10?

I don’t know. I enjoyed it, but looking back, I kind of don’t remember it except for the hairdos. To me, it was a hairdo movie. The opening scene was hysterically funny, with Christian Bale’s hair.

Or this voter:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/brutally-honest-oscar-voter-ballot-684839

Quote:
My favorites were Her, which is about the future, and Nebraska, which is about the past. Gravity I liked very much because I'd never seen anything like it and I just love George Clooney -- but when she [Sandra Bullock] climbed out of the water I thought, "This is where an alligator is gonna get her." Dallas Buyers Club is a good movie with something important to say. I had problems with American Hustle. The best thing in it was that scene with Robert De Niro; I didn't find any of the characters particularly likable. The Wolf of Wall Street? N.O. I did not like that movie. And I have not been able to bring myself to watch 12 Years a Slave. [I pressed the member to explain why.] Here is my problem: As you know, I am a senior. I have a lot of stuff in my head [I believe this is a reference to death]. What I don't want is more terrible stuff to keep in my head. I have never liked movies that have severe violence. Yes, I saw Schindler's List, but -- Look, I've lived long enough to know what it was like for a person to be a black person in America. I mean, it's not anything that I'm not aware of. I may still go and see it [the film], but I just don't want to. Is that terrible? At 5 o'clock tonight I'm gonna watch Going My Way on TCM. That's my kind of a movie -- even if Bing Crosby was actually a bad person. Is there one picture this year that makes you feel better?

It doesn't exactly inspire confidence in me about the thoughtfulness of the average Oscar voter.
Blue21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:22 pm Reply with quote
YEAH! BREAKING OUT OF MIYAZAKI! FINALLY!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4