• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Unveils New Licenses

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:12 pm Reply with quote
EDIT: [Merged the "unofficial" MB licenses talkback thread with this one, since it links back to the original article. ~Zalis]

From animeondvd.com

Strawberry Panic is confirmed
The Genshiken OVA and Kujibiki is confirmed
The new Ikki-tosen series is confirmed
Otome wa Boku ni Koshiteru is confirmed for license
Golden Boy has been "license rescued"
Angels Feather 2 episode OVA has been licensed
A Step Up Love Story (Futari Ecchi) has been licensed
Kite Liberator is their new co-production
Tokyoshock has acquired Zebraman, Devilman, Hair Extension, Scrap Heaven, Redeye and several Shaw Brothers films, Crow Zero
Yaoi side: Haru wo Daiteita, Fuyu no Seme (Winter Cicada), Gakuen Nana Fushigi, Flower and Stick
Eiken manga seven through twelve is coming, Roses of the Rhine, I Want to be Naughty, Return to Scandalous, Crimson Spell

Media Blasters ran through the list pretty quickly so we will be trying for more confrimations

In regards to dubs, Genshiken, Kujibiki and Ikkitosen will definitely be getting dubs.
More Voltron is coming as well.
Simoun will be released subtitled only.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean no Goldenboy 2? ;-;
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:31 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Merged these two threads. I deleted the content of this post as redundant, but I'll leave the actual post in to let you have the post count Smile ~Zalis]
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm SO HAPPY StrawPani is licensed! Anime cry
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow, shoujo-ai for the win from M-B today. Their economics still confuse me though...they can't spend the cash to dub something like High School Girls that's potentially more mainstream than Kashimashi, Loveless, etc., and yet they can shell out the cash for all these new licenses? Have the supposedly sky-high licensing fees for everything suddenly collapsed?

The new Ikki-Tousen series is good news for me--I never checked out the fansubs because I heard the TV-versions were slightly censored. Good thing it'll be getting dubbed *cough*gowithNewGenerationPictures*cough* Kujibiki Unbalance TV...eh, it might be a waste, but fansubs for it were never finished, so they might have an advantage there.

Looking forward to Strawberry Panic and OtoBoku...I imagine they'll be sub-only, but I guess it's good that Media-Blasters has found ways to survive and not suffer the fate of CPM.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Wow, shoujo-ai for the win from M-B today. Their economics still confuse me though...they can't spend the cash to dub something like High School Girls that's potentially more mainstream than Kashimashi, Loveless, etc., and yet they can shell out the cash for all these new licenses? Have the supposedly sky-high licensing fees for everything suddenly collapsed?

It's not an issue of how much money they have in the bank now, but whether they can make that money back and profit.

But yeah, Yay for shameless yuri. I look forward to getting Strawberry Panic. I'm undecided on the Genshiken OVA and Kujibiki.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Strawberry Panic got licensed, and am curious as to how they're going to market OtoBoku -- if they try to claim it's Yuri there are going to be some very annoyed fanboys demanding their money back. Heh.

Angel's Feather is a steaming pile of nonsensical poo, but Fuyu no Seme is quite interesting. And of course more Genshiken is ALWAYS a good thing. Smile
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:54 pm Reply with quote
If I have one request for Media Blasters, for the sake of all that is good, PLEASE keep Golden Boy's hilariously over-the-top dub! That was the best part of that series, and any DVD release without it will just feel incomplete (yes, I'm being completely serious).

OH YES, MY QUEE~N!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:28 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Obviously you haven't read all the "it's good business" posts about this subject. You see, supposedly all these series they are releasing sub-only are so niche that they couldn't possibly benefit from an English dub.

Odd of course that supposedly niche titles apparently sell so well that they keep licensing them and releasing them in singles. Frankly, I think they just decided "they'll be so happy it was licensed, they won't care that we're screwing them out of ever having a dual language release."

Zalis116 wrote:
The new Ikki-Tousen series is good news for me--I never checked out the fansubs because I heard the TV-versions were slightly censored. Good thing it'll be getting dubbed *cough*gowithNewGenerationPictures*cough*
Don't hold your breath on a NewGen dub. If MB wants to save money, why would they go to one of the more expensive English dubbing studios? The locals are probably cheaper and they don't seem to have much of an interest lately in anything but the bottom line.

No matter what, don't expect a release like the one for the first series. If Media Blasters does pencil boards, an art box, and a NewGen dub, I'll eat my Hosen Ryufo PVC.

Why in the heck didn't Geneon pick this one up anyway? I thought Ikki Tousen was like minting money for them?

Zalis116 wrote:
Looking forward to Strawberry Panic and OtoBoku...I imagine they'll be sub-only, but I guess it's good that Media-Blasters has found ways to survive and not suffer the fate of CPM.
Forgive me, but I wish they'd go the way of CPM and leave the anime licensing to other, more capable companies. Frankly, I expect it will happen sooner or later. The less accessible they make their titles, the fewer people will buy them, and that attrition will hurt them in the long run.

About they only thing they have going for them right now is Voltron and that won't last forever. They let Ah My Godess slip away and that must have been a pretty good seller given ADV's pickup.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they're gonna DUB these series' this time.
Yumi-san

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I think that Media Blasters had the best news of AX. I can't wait to get the Genshiken OVA's, the Kujibiki Unbalance TV series, Strawberry Panic, and Otoboku. FUNimation was the only other company to license multiple titles that I have been looking forward to owning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quote
If they have room for new licenses then maybe they've got room to get back to work on GaoGaiGar... Rolling Eyes

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, you guys are missing Strawberry Panic on your list! The shameless, guilty pleasure yuri series cannot be forgotten! Surprised

And with that in mind, I'm so getting this along with Simoun (even though it'll be sub-only which pretty much blows). Hmm, the only thing left now is Yamibou and possibly Marimite.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Futari H and Kite: Liberator. I liked the original Kite, I just hope that this one will be all the better.
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean Golden Boy will be re-dubbed? Or that the dub track will be done away with all together? Because I really hope not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5