• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Master Keaton GN 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russ869

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
The question for me is how many of the manga chapters stories have I already seen in the anime version? If there is quite a bit of different material in the manga, then it's definitely worth a read for me. I thought that anime was great.
wyntre_rose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I bought this volume sight unseen because Urasawa is just one of the mangaka whose works I know I'll love. I haven't read it yet (my pile of shame is embarrassing...) but your review makes me want to read it more than ever! Especially the "dorkier Indiana Jones" line. Anime hyper

One thing I will say is that I literally gasped when I opened the package and saw it for the first time. It's a beautiful book.
trilaan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I am a big fan of the anime from the late 1990's and have been wanting to read the manga for many years. I was not disappointed and I look forward to reading the stories that made it into the anime version just as much as the "new" adventures Taichi Hiraga-Keaton, or, as I sometime like to call him, Indiana MacGyver.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
... Taichi Hiraga-Keaton, or, as I sometime like to call him, Indiana MacGyver.

Oh my god, that's perfect! I wish I'd thought of that! Very Happy
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:37 pm Reply with quote
The manga is a bit better the the anime and the new sequel Master Keaton Remaster is good too.
A 8/10 for the entire thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, lecturer = adjunct professor, some institutions in America still use that terminology as well.

I read the first few volumes of this in Japanese when I picked up the collected volumes really cheap at a sale. It's... well, Urasawa was mostly just doing the art at this point in the series, and it's quite good! This is around the time that he was developing his own distinctive style and move away from the very Otomo-esque art of his Pineapple Army, or the early volumes of Yawara!.

...but in terms of story? Yes, it's completely episodic, a few continuing threads with his family situations, but it's very un-Urasawa in that regard - which makes sense, since someone else was writing the story at that point. Urasawa's name is on top now because he claimed that later in the series he was handed over full control and demanded that his name be printed first... after Hokusei Katsushika (real name Hajime Kimura) passed away. I'm personally interested in seeing if there is a real shift in the writing style after the point that Urasawa says he took charge (which I think is volume 5 of the recent Japanese re-release), or whether one of my favorite manga writers was lying to get extra royalties.

And speaking of which, does anyone know if these volumes are following the original 18-volume format or the 12-volume re-release?
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
And speaking of which, does anyone know if these volumes are following the original 18-volume format or the 12-volume re-release?

The Viz press release for Master Keaton calls it a "12-volume manga (graphic novel) series" so I assume it's the rerelease.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:10 pm Reply with quote
vash+ Callum: There's also apparently a recent sequel, but I doubt Viz is going to go for it, unless this one sells that well.
stevek504

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the quality of the Viz Signature imprint of Biomega. If this is of the same quality, I am sure I would like it. I also enjoyed the anime release of Master Keaton (which got to be expensive collecting it so many years after it had been released). If the manga adds more to the story than the anime covered - all the more reason to purchase it.

However, does anyone know what their track history is of them finishing Signature imprints? It is sad to say, but I may need to wait two or more years to see how the quarterly releases go before starting to purchase this series...
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:08 am Reply with quote
stevek504 wrote:
I really enjoyed the quality of the Viz Signature imprint of Biomega. If this is of the same quality, I am sure I would like it. I also enjoyed the anime release of Master Keaton (which got to be expensive collecting it so many years after it had been released). If the manga adds more to the story than the anime covered - all the more reason to purchase it.

However, does anyone know what their track history is of them finishing Signature imprints? It is sad to say, but I may need to wait two or more years to see how the quarterly releases go before starting to purchase this series...

I think they're pretty picky with their SIG line lately and have finished pretty much all of their releases. I think Urasawa is a big seller for them though as they keep licencing his stuff. They released all 24 volumes of 20th/21st Century Boys, all 8 volumes of Pluto & all 18 volumes of Monster. They're also reprinting Monster in a new edition. Plus Master Keaton #1 has been on the NYT Manga Bestsellers list for 2 weeks so it's doing pretty well. So the future for Master Keaton looks bright in my opinion.
1thought

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:14 am Reply with quote
stevek504 wrote:

It's a higher quality book make wise than Bio Mega it's very much like the Pluto release Color Pages and the outside of the book is more sturdy and has a more expensive feel to it.

Viz has been pretty good at releasing the Sig line except
Kingyo Used Books which is a manga about manga and making recommendations at a book store and people are looking for a certain type of manga. Well in Japan this works fine because you can just go buy it. So that's partially released.
I've never read it but it probably has too much talk about manga that's never been translated.

Oishinbo and Golgo 13 are both manga with well over 100 volumes in Japan I don't think Viz ever planned to fully release them they just wanted to release a small part I guess.

Everything else has been fully released as far as I know or still coming out like Gangsta,Terra Formars

It was once called Editor's Choice line.
Phoenix,Monster,Saikano and Maison Ikkoku all have been out of print for some time.

Although Viz is now re-releasing Monster in a new format.

Last edited by 1thought on Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
1thought

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:25 am Reply with quote
While I'm glad to see this released.

I just wanted Yawara more. Or at least at the same time like 20th Century Boys and Pluto both came out together.

But I guess since a Monster re-release is coming out in a way that's like 2 Urasawa titles at once.

But who knows maybe Yawara and Happy won't come out at all.
Since in a way they are sports involved manga and Viz claims they won't be releasing anymore sports manga or at least for awhile.

Still surprised Vertical Inc hasn't tried to pick up Billy Bat though before Kodansha or someone else.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:31 am Reply with quote
Nice to see the anime remembered so fondly here; it's not the easiest one to get people to watch, but I've never met anyone who didn't like it after taking the plunge.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:49 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
trilaan wrote:
... Taichi Hiraga-Keaton, or, as I sometime like to call him, Indiana MacGyver.

Oh my god, that's perfect! I wish I'd thought of that! Very Happy

Even better, the English voice of Keaton, Ted Cole, actually appeared in an episode of MacGyver. Smile

stevek504 wrote:
I also enjoyed the anime release of Master Keaton (which got to be expensive collecting it so many years after it had been released).

Interesting. I picked it up in 2006 in a massive rightstuf Geneon sale where you could get 10 single disk volumes for $50 or 25 for $100. I hadn't seen the series, but I scooped up all 8 volumes to fill out a batch of 25. No regrets!
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:12 am Reply with quote
1Thought: I'm guessing Viz chose to publish Master Keaton, because it's shorter than Yawara. So I guess if you want the latter, you have to support the former, so they have an incentive to pick up more Urasawa in general.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2