• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Marvelous Entertainment to Make More Gunslinger Girl

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quote
It's a re-release, that's all. If you never got around to getting Gunslinger Girl, you can get it then, cheaper than ever.
Takanu065

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually apposed to the new series. The first 13 episodes were awesome and ended well. Now their trying to capitalize on a origonal idea.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh please. The anime was an adaption of an ongoing series, so it wasn't an 'original idea.' The original series only covered about 2.5 volumes of the manga (if that) and the manga is currently up to 6 volumes and counting, so there is plenty more material to animate.
Sticks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:28 am Reply with quote
I met and spoke with the editors of ANN this past weekend at the Anime Expo in Long Beach, CA. From what they told me, it's "believed" that someone from the company that produces Gunslinger Girl leaked out the information about a second season when it wasn't supposed to made public yet.

They said not to quote them as more information was needed over time. so we'll see.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:34 am Reply with quote
Sticks wrote:
it's "believed" that someone from the company that produces Gunslinger Girl leaked out the information about a second season when it wasn't supposed to made public yet.

This sort of things happens all the time. Negima! live-action, Clannad TV, you name it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:45 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Oh please. The anime was an adaption of an ongoing series, so it wasn't an 'original idea.' The original series only covered about 2.5 volumes of the manga (if that) and the manga is currently up to 6 volumes and counting, so there is plenty more material to animate.
Just the first 2 volumes were covered. Having read the first four so far (thanks ADV for continuing it!) there's nothing in 3 or 4 that's in the anime. There are some aspects of the anime that might be considered an "original idea" though since spoiler[Elsa was never seen alive] in the manga and the episode with spoiler[Claes posing as that other girl] is basically anime only too. (Spoiler guarded just to be totally safe.)

I know what you were saying HitokiriShadow, just thought I'd mention those parts since they are unique to the anime.

I sincerely hope that there really will be a second season and that Funimation will license it, because a second season would almost certainly focus more on Triela (her backstory is heavily fleshed out in volume 4 of the manga) and I really liked the work Caitlin Glass did in that role.

As for why I hope Funi will pick it up, I think their English dub of the series qualifies as one of the best anime English dubs ever. It's just plain awesome in my humble opinion. (Laura Bailey was amazing as Henrietta!) Also, I deeply enjoyed the comentaries and actress comments they included for the English cast. I wish more extras would be produced for the English casts, especially when a title is otherwise quite light on such things.
Superflyz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:11 pm Reply with quote
In the commentaries, didn't some of the actresses say they were interested in seeing/voicing a second season, if there was one made?

How rare is it that a voice actress WANTS to do the voice more than there is available? The love for this anime is awesome.

I wanted to pick up volumes 1-3 (To give to friends and family) and 4 at AX, but they were all sold out.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Superflyz wrote:
In the commentaries, didn't some of the actresses say they were interested in seeing/voicing a second season, if there was one made?

How rare is it that a voice actress WANTS to do the voice more than there is available? The love for this anime is awesome.
All the time -- in the acting business, everybody loves the chance for more work. We as fans may think that series like Naruto and DBZ suck for going on for hundreds of episodes, but to the VAs, that's hundreds of episodes worth of work.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:47 pm Reply with quote
This indeed occurs frequently in commentaries. I love how Wendee Lee says Faye is her girl on the Bebop Remix DVD. You can tell that although she might have other attachments Faye is very dear to her. The same goes for Mari IIjima's commentary on Macross. She actually had the rare opportunity to go back to the studio and give Minmei new life in a different language. She seemed very confused as to how anyone couldn't love the character. The bonus discs on Hellsing has great interviews with the US cast. They all jumped to the opportunity to reprise their roles. I love the interview in volume two with the guys who play the brothers. The Patlabor books that come with the BVUSA boxes also has interviews with the Japanese cast on coming back for the rerecording of the dialog.
Sticks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:41 pm Reply with quote
To those who haven't heard..... it was just announced.

GUNSLINGER GIRL SEASON 2 IS COMING OUT!!!!!!!! Laughing

Can't wait. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5