• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Four from Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maokun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Maokun wrote:
Wait, were the girls in Gunslinger Girl actually androids? I seem to recall one of them having some sort of "augmentation" but other than that it was all psychological conditioning what made them ruthless and efficient killers.

The article said cyborgs, not androids. There is a substantial difference between the two.

Yeah, that was a slip of mind there. As far as I know they are not cyborgs either. Don't know if it was later revealed in the manga?
zensunni

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Maokun wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:
Maokun wrote:
Wait, were the girls in Gunslinger Girl actually androids? I seem to recall one of them having some sort of "augmentation" but other than that it was all psychological conditioning what made them ruthless and efficient killers.

The article said cyborgs, not androids. There is a substantial difference between the two.

Yeah, that was a slip of mind there. As far as I know they are not cyborgs either. Don't know if it was later revealed in the manga?

They are totally cyborgs. This is from a plot synopsis:
spoiler[...young girls who have experienced traumatic and near-death experiences fitted with cybernetic implants as agents. The implants, which consist of synthesized muscles and carbon fiber frames, result in heightened strength and reflexes as well as high resilience to damage and pain. ]
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
They are totally cyborgs. This is from a plot synopsis:
spoiler[...young girls who have experienced traumatic and near-death experiences fitted with cybernetic implants as agents. The implants, which consist of synthesized muscles and carbon fiber frames, result in heightened strength and reflexes as well as high resilience to damage and pain. ]

Yeah, they're not externally obvious cyborgs (with metal parts sticking out and everything), but they're cyborgs. That's basically the explanation for why they're such great killers... also, IIRC, the cybernization procedure only works on young girls.

Unlike in "Girl May Kill" where you have a 15-year-old drawn like a 10-year-old, with no special powers, who totally kicks ass. >_> Kind of like in "Kick-Ass," actually. Then again, I guess Young Goku in Dragon Ball doesn't look buff enough to beat up giant tough dudes either, but the DB world obviously isn't supposed to be realistic...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2