• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Registration requirements need to be increased.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
learning and speaking someones mind is really just freedom of speech and curtailing that should be a crime, but its a free world right?

Just pointing out a misconception you (and a lot of other people) seem to have. The First Amendment, which is the "free speech" right, only pertains to the government being unable to censor you speaking out against the government. It has nothing to do with being able to say anything, and further has nothing to do with what a private entity can bar you from saying in their own private space (such as a web forum, or a business can kick you out for profanity in their store, etc).
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I was not speaking of immoral or abuse of course I would expect moderators to check such actions, but idea's and concepts in normal tone.

To me it seems a few would like to censor the many turning the sight into a very private play ground its just the impression on gets from some of the posters.

Anime, Manga and Video games = a lot of opinions from a diverse group of people.

just saying from reading some of these past posts what it looks like.

its also a opinion and not may not be shared or it might seeing as some others have posted in the same means in the past.

I a done with this topic, thanks for reading!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
@Catseyetiger

No one who has the authority to do so is attempting to limit diversity of opinion properly stated. This thread started as an attempt to limit the ability of spammers from starting a thread in every sub forum to advertise such things as fake passports. There was also some discussion of a specific individual who has been repeatedly banned for spouting racist nonsense who keeps reregistering under different names with the same toxic message.

I think you over generalized from what you read. Also your statement with a bye I'm through here ending is not consistent with polite discussion.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm struggling to see what his actual complaint is. If it refers to any specific cases, I'm unaware of them and absent that it's too vague to really talk about.

This thread isn't really the right place for it either. In this context it comes across virtually like he's defending the rights of junk mail.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I would just like to point out for everyone who wonders why ANN is a bit tighter here per se with rules, compared to other forums, about one important fact. That fact being Anime News Network is a BUSINESS. There are people here who make a living off this site and thew news articles and columns etc. This is not just some fan run anime forum. ANN is a legitimate business with a paid staff and payroll and the whole bit. The forums are a part of said business. Granted the forums are more a secondary feature at ANN compared to the news and columns and articles, however they are still a reflection on ANN however small it might be. So of course the admin would want the forum to have a higher level of class or conduct when possible. And of course they'd want to try and prevent as much spam as possible as well. It's not about censorship or preventing variety of opinions here. Just something to remember.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4