• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Marvel Offers Attack on Titan Crossover on Free Comic Book Day

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopGunman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, Marvel? Your comics are boring, AoT is not gonna make your crap even better.
daichi383

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Can't say i agree but to each his own. Will be interesting to read this when they put it out.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I read the scanlations of this a while back when it first came out and honestly it was pretty stupid and pointless. Even as a free comic I wouldn't bother.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't matter if it is boring, stupid or pointless. As long as it gets picked up by kids on free comic day, maybe some will pick up Kodansha's sampler too and maybe some will eventually buy the regular manga just to see what the story is like.

If that happens then the crossover has served it's purpose.

Mark Gosdin
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Stop insulting people's opinions. --willag
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm buying this just for the hell of it. YOLO!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm sure they'll be a limit on how much you can grab. I'm sure someone is going to grab a few copies and sell them on ebay. I'm thinking of getting it...but...I'm debating it. I haven't bought a Marvel comic in I don't know how many years.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:

You did notice the part that this is for FREE Comic Book Day, right? The books aren't for sale. They're (depending on how the store runs them) limited edition, first-come first-serve books that you pick up for free.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
FireballDragon wrote:

You did notice the part that this is for FREE Comic Book Day, right? The books aren't for sale. They're (depending on how the store runs them) limited edition, first-come first-serve books that you pick up for free.

Oh whoops. Typed it like that by accident. I'm still getting it though.
Cobalt Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Im actually interested in this specially in the Noragami sampler, but I have never actually been involved in the Free Comic Book day thing. Do you just go to a comic book store on 05/02 and pick whatever they have?

pardon my ignorance though.... Embarassed
Kurama4Ever!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Cobalt Phoenix wrote:
Im actually interested in this specially in the Noragami sampler, but I have never actually been involved in the Free Comic Book day thing. Do you just go to a comic book store on 05/02 and pick whatever they have?

pardon my ignorance though.... Embarassed

I would like to know this as well. Also, what exactly does it entail? I mean, is it always just samplers or are there sometimes full comics?
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
An interesting concept, would mind seeing it animated as a stand-alone OVA (parody or serious). Though acquiring the rights and managing all the associated contracts is gonna be a pain.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote
It depends on what they intend to do. There aren't any restrictions on Free Comic Book Day about what a publisher can give away. Most of what I see are single, stand-alone short stories that can be covered in 16 to 24 pages, but they will sometimes give out just one chapter in a story, though I've never seen them give out graphic novels. Tokyopop used to give out a tankobon-sized sampler platter of a bunch of manga they were publishing at the moment, and I believe Viz is currently doing that now. Most of them are family-friendly, but there's no rule saying they can't, and you'll see some indie publishers give away some darker, more violent stuff too.

I have seen Marvel give out an entire series of comic books though, a reprint of a few of Spider-Man's early stories. Each original issue was divided in two, and there were 36 eight-page issues, all of them free and part of the event.

The comics I've obtained through Free Comic Book Day have never been worth much, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of them reach prices worth the trouble of selling them. Me, I get American comic books to read them, not to sell or collect them.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how successful this will be for Marvel but hopefully it will go well.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Where does one get these comics from Free Comic Book Day? Do I have to sign up online or go to a comic store, or what?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3