• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Unveils New Licenses

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Actually, the new Genshiken series isn't OVA, it's the second season of the series ... from what I heard before was that originally it was going to be an OVA series but the series was expanded to be a second season for the television series and it's set broadcast in the next few months in Tokyo.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolf:
Quote:
It's a sad, sad thing when ANN can't even report on the full details. At least Anime on DVD.com got it right.

Yeah, that Bebop sequel was right on target. And their frequent posting of release dates, even when they've changed with plenty of time to update accordingly, truly shows a lot of care in providing up-to-the-minute news. Rolling Eyes

Emerje:
Quote:
If they have room for new licenses then maybe they've got room to get back to work on GaoGaiGar... Rolling Eyes

Not to mention Phoenix. Wink

Anyway, it sucks that they got Goldenboy, because that means that ADV's not as committed to making a sequel as they were in the past. Though I wonder if DH getting Gantz means the GB manga getting published here is a possibility, too. Also, someone should have asked them about the Kite movie.
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Actually, the new Genshiken series isn't OVA, it's the second season of the series ... from what I heard before was that originally it was going to be an OVA series but the series was expanded to be a second season for the television series and it's set broadcast in the next few months in Tokyo.

Not quite...... the Genshiken OVA are 3 OVA episodes included with the DVD release of Kujibiki Unbalance TV. They basically continue the story of the Genshiken TV series, delivering more adaption of the manga, and introducing some new characters.

A new Genshiken TV series [which is technically the 2nd season, but kind of the 3rd, depending on how you look at the OVA's] will debut in October, and pick up where the OVA's left off.
So basically, the way it works is...
Genshiken TV w/KU ova's
KU TV w/Genshiken OVA's
Genshiken 2 TV [no idea what, if any, ova will be tagged onto it]
detective392

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
No there is a first season genshiken a 3 eps OVA and a second season premiring this fall in japan MB got the 3 eps OVA not the second season but they said they hope to also get the 2nd season also.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

Also, hey Emerje, didn't know you posted here! I don't come here too often though........ I imagine GaoGaiGar'll will get finished, once some more profitable series are out of the way, and MB can put more of it out. I have to get the rest of the dvd's yet myself.

I'm guessing MB is waiting to announce the exact nature of their finishing the series once they've decided whether or not to finish the dub [taking longer to announce it means they're probably still weighing options]

Sure, I've been coming here everyday for years, though I haven't been posting as steadily lately as I used to. In some places I've been known as the "anime guy", not the "Transformers guy".

But back on topic, just the other past weekend at Portcon Maine, Michael Sinterniklaas (ADR director) said he still didn't know what they had planned for the series (he seemed genuine about it, I was probably the only GGG fan in attendance so it's not like he was playing the crowed). I know they said that Voltron was tying up their resources, but by the sounds of it they're only leaving themselves open for one robot series at a time if they're continuing to bring in new licenses.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
giberwitz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
is the genshiken OVA going to be sold seperately or do we have to buy the kujibiki unbalance dvd's to get them like in japan. cause that would suck
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

Odd of course that supposedly niche titles apparently sell so well that they keep licensing them and releasing them in singles. Frankly, I think they just decided "they'll be so happy it was licensed, they won't care that we're screwing them out of ever having a dual language release."

They appear to be selling well enough as they are, but that doesn't mean they are selling well enough that they would make money if the dubbed it.

kushiel wrote:
Man, they picked up Angel Sanctuary? All these series I enjoyed are getting picked up by new licensors, even though it seems like they just came out. Before you know it Funi will have lost the license to FMA or something. *laughs*

I hadn't even noticed that they picked up Angel Sanctuary. I guess if anyone wants to see what happens when you cram 3.5 volumes of a story (out of 20) into three episodes, they can find out now.

Paploo wrote:
They haven't clarified if they actually have the license though...... it's an odd situtation, though Geneon did announce the other titles with leaked URLs around the same time.

Higurashi was announced almost immediately afterwards in their contest. Rozen Maiden was announced a few weeks later and Sauinkoku was announced either at the same time or shortly after that. Nanoha was only just now announced several months after the website was discovered. So its not like they were all announced (aside from MariMite) at the same time, its been a staggered process. I think we'll hear them announce MariMite at Otakon, which is, I believe, the next major con.

giberwitz wrote:
is the genshiken OVA going to be sold seperately or do we have to buy the kujibiki unbalance dvd's to get them like in japan. cause that would suck

They haven't said anything about how its been released as far as I can tell, only that they have it.
mastertr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Was surprised to hear about Futari Ecchi getting licensed considering how much sex is in it (even though it isn't hardcore). I am happy about it though. I am looking forward to Media Blasters releasing the OVAs and TokyoPop releasing the manga.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:30 pm Reply with quote
ADV has little patience for some of their older catalogue--witness Master of Mosquiton. And when they dump, they usually dump the English track with it.

Angel Sanctuary's a different story--been around awhile & CPM has been shaky since that Sam Goody debaucle. They seem to have dumped all their anime to focus on manga, although they've hit a bump on their yaoi line & the new Japanese publisher. All their anime seems to have gone elsewhere. They had the licence to the Embracing Love anime & I saw this morning Media Blasters snagged it.

I'm usually so happy to see some of these titles licensed, I don't care if they're dubbed or sub only. I never seem to see gals whining our yaoi is sub-only, but guys are always whining about stuff being released sub only. Given the coice between a title not being brought over at all or it coming over sub-only, I'll spring for sub-only.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:39 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
giberwitz wrote:

They haven't said anything about how its been released as far as I can tell, only that they have it.

That's how it works in Taiwan, so don't put your hope too high, giberwitz.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:18 pm Reply with quote
If they do redub Golden Boy, I just hope they keep Doug Smith. He's the guy who made Kentaro Oe. He was hilarious! He just HAS to be Kentaro. Too bad about Studio Ironcat though. Wish he was still around.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
loplop wrote:
Yumi-san wrote:

Didn't expect 'Futari H' to get picked up. That's an old one now. So 'Tokyopop is releasing the manga? Though I did like the OVA and will be picking that up. After all 4 eps that's it, the manga is really funny from what I've seen. I wonder if the artist is finally finished with that series.

I was surprised to hear that Futari Ecchi was licensed myself. I'm very glad to see it licensed since it's been a long time guilty pleasure. I hope TokyoPop releases the manga quickly since in it's 32nd or 33rd volume now . . . .

I was also rather surprised to hear that they both got picked up myself. Especially the manga (is Tokyopop really calling it "Manga Sutra"? Rolling Eyes). It could be easily considered borderline hentai (what with the sex-ed and all). It's a great manga though. I never thought I'd see it licensed (even told some friends it probably wouldn't be...)

Last edited by Renaisance Otaku on Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
daedelus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Wow! This article is only about 10 hours old and yet I feel like I'm late for the party Anime smile + sweatdrop

Kujibiki and Genshiken: definitely some of my favorite news out of AX this year. I guess we won't see the first volume(s) until 2008?
SakuraPurinsesu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:23 am Reply with quote
Ok, so I'm a little lost. Angel Sanctuary was already liscensed, so what's happening now? It's going to be re-released, or more is being made? So confused. Question Confused
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:58 am Reply with quote
Sakura: CPM went bankrupt last year, so I'm assuming they're selling off the rights to their older titles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5