• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Certain Magical Index II BD+DVD [2015-01-23]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote
The last paragraph really sums up my feelings about this set. I loved what was there, but not knowing if there are any plans for an Index III leaves it feeling lackluster. At about episode 22, it felt like maybe they were angling for something closer to a conclusion given the scale of what happens, but then they went ahead and set up the next storyline in the last couple episodes. As common as it is for this sort of thing to happen in anime, this show ranks right up at the top for anime I want to see continue.
Stiles

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to agree that the biggest problem with Index II is that it isn't anywhere near close to the end and there isn't really any sign that it'll continue. It's such a shame because this season ends right when the story begins to open up and get ridiculously cool. I think Attack on Titan suffers from the same problem, but anyway...

The last episode and a half are part of the Skill-Out Uprising and despite being rather short, I'd say it actually gets in pretty much all of the relevant information. You even get a bit of interesting foreshadowing in the form of a certain cell phone wallpaper. So even though it may feel like the final episode skips a lot of content, it doesn't really considering that the novel this arc is based on is also quite short. To be fair though, the adaptation leaves out a little bit of interaction between members of Necessarius and the Amakusa, but it's nothing you can't live without. Personally, I was more disappointed that they didn't preserve the animosity between Accelerator and Musujime.

All that aside, I think Funimation did a great job with the dub. I only have a few gripes, the biggest one being how they dealt with the climax of the Invasion arc. The viewer/reader isn't supposed to understand what Accelerator says, yet the English dub doesn't really stay true to that like the Japanese dub does. They also stick in a subtitle without bothering to add in the strange gibberish text that subtitle is supposed to clarify, making its addition curious.

I could go into more detail, but that's already somewhat spoilery for anybody who hasn't watched this yet, so I'll leave it alone.

Good review though, very fair. Personally, I'd rate it higher than straight B's, but I'm super biased towards Index (and, by extension, Railgun). Can't really say I agree about the Sisters, I don't mind the way they talk at all. In fact, I might be one of the few people that finds Last Order's speech pattern to be cute and endearing. And yeah, that's in both languages.

Still holding out hope for Index III!
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
As I expected. Funimation would catch up and finish Index II before Index III is announced. Now the western fans will feel how the eastern fans have felt for the past 3 years(4 years this April, and I am not counting the movie, but given the fact we get Index every 2 years from 08-09,10-11, and 13, it may come out at the end of the year). lol
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Hello, as a time-traveler from the year 2123, I can assure you that Index II's ending connects beautifully with Index III's prologue ova episode, and actually set-up some of the settings that were ultimately used in Railgun's 3rd season (Toaru Kagaku no Railgun: High Charge, or HC for short), but also in Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator's anime.
*swoosh*

*back in current timeline*
I agree can Index II's ending leaves much to be desired, especially given the fact that we are closing on for 4 years since II's end (2 years if you count Toaru Majutsu no Index: Endyumion no Kiseki. Or about a year and a half if you include Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S).

Generally, the entire season showed consistency in quality and plot progression. Yes, there were some "oddball" episodes (about 3 in total, I think) that, while they were good, felt somewhat out of place from the rest of the season, plot-wise, character interaction and development-wise and pacing-wise. But, I didn't think that they were so "out of the blue" that they ruined my viewing experience.

I think that Index II has followed wonderfully in Index I's footsteps, and managed to fill those shoes again.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm certainly glad then that they've brought the Index novels over here then. Same with Devil is a Part-Timer!, both endings left me wanting more.
OH&S

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Another Index review! Thanks a lot Rebecca.

Firstly, what is up with that synopsis? That's barely 50% accurate. Hell, that GROUP claim is just plain wrong. Though maybe this has more to do with Funi failing to come up with a decent synopsis that explains this half of the set. Not that I can blame them.

Rebecca wrote:
Croce di Pietro (which translates to “Stone Cross”)

Peter's Cross. The kanji for the the term (because the hip thing to do in Japanese LN is to have double meaning in the pronunciation and the kanji) is Cross of St. Peter.

Rebecca wrote:
The story, on the other hand, feels like it makes a bit of a jump from the conclusion of that storyline into the abrupt start of the Italy arc, a writing issue which also appears in the final two episodes of the season. It is a bigger issue there, with episode twenty-four in particular feeling like it skips a lot of content in order to compress the story into twenty-four minutes,...

The reason for this is fairly obvious. Those are the points where one novel ends and another begins. It could have helped a bit if the conclusion of the Daihasei Festival Arc was included in the previous set. But the prevailing issue of this entire season is the fact that they adapted as many light novels as they could squeeze in (Volumes 7-13 + most of SS in the last 1.5 episodes). Compare this to the other super popular Dengeki Bunko anime, Sword Art Online, whose pacing was 4 novels a season (more or less). Much better paced and adapted. In a way, this sort of gives context to the synopsis problem.

The last 2 episodes left out A LOT. So much so that the only way to prevent a future season to dump a whole bunch of exposition unto the viewer in the first episode would be to have an Episode 0 which looks back at the series as well as beginning to look forwards.

Rebecca wrote:
Vento's role seems to be to highlight the conflict of science and religion, with Academy City to her (and, it is implied, the Church) standing in for man's hubris in thinking that he could do God's job.

There's also a bit of a power balance thing going on here between the 3 major Churches as well as between the Magic Side and the Science Side. In the space of two months, the Roman Catholic Church has suffered some rather significant losses and damage. In the Deep Blood Arc, their knights received heavy damage from Aureolus. In the Orsola Arc, they lost face in front of the other churches as well as losing the Agnese Forces and Orsola. In the Daihasei Festival Arc, they lost Lidvia (Ridovia?) and one of their most important spiritual items (the Cross of St. Peter). This immediately led to the Venice Arc as a follow up as the RCC tried to return the balance of power back towards it with the Queen of the Adriatic Sea spell. But it was preempted by both the Anglican Church and Academy City when they conveniently arranged Orsola, the Amakusas, Index and Touma to arrive in Venice. As a result, they lost their Queen of the Adriatic Sea spell, the manpower of the Agnese Forces as well as a high ranking bishop.

The thing is that most of these events were largely unrelated. Touma was just doing what he normally does and slowly and steadily, things tilted far enough for Vento to raid the city. Though again, not doubting your interpretation, Rebecca.

Rebecca wrote:
Interestingly enough, through the use of the terrorist group Zero Skill, this cycle also explores the caste system some people clearly feel Academy City employs, ranking those with higher power levels above everyone else.

I'm not sure if terrorist is the right word to use to describe the group. Also, Zero Skill? Is that what the dub called them? That group is referred to as Skill Out in Japanese. Also, if the cover the set didn't make it apparent, make sure to remember the brown haired teen at the end of the set. Wink

Quote:
Although this is the end of A Certain Magical Index II, it does not feel particularly conclusive. Granted, this could be because so many more novels exist after this point, but it does take away from the experience of watching it.

Once again, entirely right. Looking at the light novel series as a whole, there are roughly 3 phases of equal length (with a 4th major arc to start in the next novel Cool ).

The first 11 volumes cover what is best described as a Daily Life Arc. There is little connection between any of the single volumes aside from the setting, characters and construction of the lore. Kamijou meets a girl and gets involved in a misfortunate incident. Rinse and repeat until the enough lore has been built and the scales have been tipped just enough for the shit to hit the fan. This phase ends with the Venice Arc; right before Vento attacks.

The next 11 volumes (with two SS volumes on the side) cover the God's Right Seat Arc. The transition is marked by the change to Winter clothes as well as the scale of immediate danger and increased tension. Vento by herself defeated over 80% of Academy City; a feat which is an order of magnitude above anything a single Level 5 could hope to achieve. The anime covers the first 2 volumes of this (and two thirds of Volume SS). This is quite literally the start of the conflict so feelings of inconclusiveness are entirely justified.

Rebecca wrote:
If there was, as of this writing, an Index III looming on the horizon, that might make the ending seem better.

Urgh. Don't remind me. If nothing is announced this year or the editor of the series was keeping my expectations up for nothing one more time, I'm officially giving up hope for Index III. My current expectation is for a new season in 2016 (hopefully not competing with Attack on Titan S2 Shocked)

Rebecca wrote:
− Touma is the least interesting character in this half.

<shrugs> Not much to say. He doesn't really have much of a character arc that is explored in this set. Though some aspects of him, specifically the way he fought and defeated Vento, weren't done so well and once again make it seem like he's running around without a plan. There's actually something rather important hidden here about him but the anime completely misses this and didn't adapt it.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I also desperately hope for Index III. C'mon, JC!

Index II, IMO, wasn't quite as good as the first season. That said, this set has the best episodes of II. The whole thing with Accelerator was pretty awesome. The guy is a beast.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:04 am Reply with quote
unfortunately there haven't been any new toaru news ever since the movie which doesnt bode well of any chances for a season three for both railgun and index.

Rebecca Silverman wrote:
Index isn't strictly a harem show, but the joke is well-done enough that makes us look at the preceding episodes in a different way and allows us to laugh at the fact that they contain a few very tired tropes.

not exactly. Only mikoto and index have any deep feelings for touma and that amakusa girl have a small crush.while the others from the looks of things see him as a friend (except for fukyuosei ),so in retrospect,its not a harem.

the 2nd OP can be very misleading to make some people who arent harem junkies to believe that the series is a harem.

and according to my priest in my church since i am a roman catholic, its actually translated as the Disciple's Cross which is Saint Peter who was a well known loyal disciple of Jesus Christ, which is why its mainly known as the cross of peter. its possible that the author have a different kanji for the translation,but this is what my priest told me what the meaning of the crocee di pietro is. though of course the story of it in this series is very science fiction. the only thing that was fact ( depending on who you believe ) is that the cross was meant to be a guide of the actual burial grounds of jesus christ. of course the vatican have said that is false, though catholics from south america ,especially in brazil believes it so.

regardless its a decent series, though those diehard LN fans and railgun fans have been griping on the timing of the archs. there are those say that the liberty arts city arc was supposed to take place first, then the testament arc afterwards. and of course fans of railgun are griping over the whole daihasei festival arc since the crocee di pietro story would contradict and conflict with vol 9 of the railgun manga since both events took place at the last day of the festival.

and since there haven't been any news on when the manga start again,its been a back and forth BS in forums here in the US. hopefully the LN and manga will eventually reach that arc soon so people will know which arc came first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
OH&S

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:28 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

and according to my priest in my church since i am a roman catholic, its actually translated as the Disciple's Cross which is Saint Peter who was a well known loyal disciple of Jesus Christ, which is why its mainly known as the cross of peter. its possible that the author have a different kanji for the translation,but this is what my priest told me what the meaning of the crocee di pietro is.

You're right actually. I remembered the details wrong.

jr0904 wrote:

regardless its a decent series, though those diehard LN fans and railgun fans have been griping on the timing of the archs. there are those say that the liberty arts city arc was supposed to take place first, then the testament arc afterwards. and of course fans of railgun are griping over the whole daihasei festival arc since the crocee di pietro story would contradict and conflict with vol 9 of the railgun manga since both events took place at the last day of the festival.

and since there haven't been any news on when the manga start again,its been a back and forth BS in forums here in the US. hopefully the LN and manga will eventually reach that arc soon so people will know which arc came first.

Actually, nothing is contradicted. The Railgun events are certainly something akin to a retcon but timeline-wise, everything fits. The Index Daihasei Festival Arc takes place on the first day and concludes on the morning of the second. The Railgun Daihasei Festival Arc also starts on the first day (dances around the Index events) and then continues onto the second day where the majority of the events in the arc happen. The arc ends just before the Venice Arc.

There's actually a calendar for this.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:52 am Reply with quote
Embarassed Yes, stone is "pietra." Although the name "Peter" (and the Italian name Pietro) do mean "stone." Not being Catholic (or Christian) tripped me up here.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
OH&S wrote:
I'm not sure if terrorist is the right word to use to describe the group. Also, Zero Skill? Is that what the dub called them? That group is referred to as Skill Out in Japanese.

I was curious about that too. I checked the railgun blurays I got the other day, and the dub actually said Skill Out. Did they just change it at some point? Seems kinda dumb, but with some of the other script changes...

jr0904 wrote:
unfortunately there haven't been any new toaru news ever since the movie which doesnt bode well of any chances for a season three for both railgun and index.

Well, I don't know about Index, but Railgun S started in spring of 2013 didn't end until late 2013. The first one ended in spring of 2010. Pretty much exactly 3 years after the end of S1, S2 started. Just a tiny bit over a year after S2, you're saying it has been so long that it doesn't bode well for getting S3? Seems pretty premature to me.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I re-listened (without pictures to distract me), and it was said once. Apparently I latched on to "Zero Skill" instead of the said every other time "Skill Out." Embarassed Evil or Very Mad
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
OH&S wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

and according to my priest in my church since i am a roman catholic, its actually translated as the Disciple's Cross which is Saint Peter who was a well known loyal disciple of Jesus Christ, which is why its mainly known as the cross of peter. its possible that the author have a different kanji for the translation,but this is what my priest told me what the meaning of the crocee di pietro is.

You're right actually. I remembered the details wrong.

definitely pays off to know that one of my priest is one of the vatican's archbishops.

OH&S wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

Actually, nothing is contradicted. The Railgun events are certainly something akin to a retcon but timeline-wise, everything fits. The Index Daihasei Festival Arc takes place on the first day and concludes on the morning of the second. The Railgun Daihasei Festival Arc also starts on the first day (dances around the Index events) and then continues onto the second day where the majority of the events in the arc happen. The arc ends just before the Venice Arc.

There's actually a calendar for this.

you might have a point of the timelines. luckily the manga is supposed to be out in april. i made that assumption cause fans in japan said that in the manga, the final part of the railgun daihasei arc where misaka was being held by kihara was supposed to have taken place during the night parade. then there was during the forums when part 1 of index II and part two of railgun S was reviewed where some people said that the liberty arts city arc was supposed to have taken place before the testament arc.

at least the LN are here so US fans can be sure which arc goes where cause to be frank there are some of us that dont trust fan sites like baka tsuki.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
OH&S

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:15 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
then there was during the forums when part 1 of index II and part two of railgun S was reviewed where some people said that the liberty arts city arc was supposed to have taken place before the testament arc.

Testament Arc? ...In the hypothetical Railgun Season 3, Liberal Arts City would be the first thing covered. Originally it was Railgun SS novel given out to people who bought the Special Editions of the Index Season 1 DVD/BDs. It gets annoying because both the main novels and Railgun manga have direct references to it and it is key to certain events playing out the way they do. e.g. Railgun Volume 9 with Saten.

Quote:

at least the LN are here so US fans can be sure which arc goes where cause to be frank there are some of us that don't trust fan sites like baka tsuki.

<shrugs> To each his own, I suppose.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:29 am Reply with quote
OH&S wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
then there was during the forums when part 1 of index II and part two of railgun S was reviewed where some people said that the liberty arts city arc was supposed to have taken place before the testament arc.

Testament Arc? ...In the hypothetical Railgun Season 3, Liberal Arts City would be the first thing covered. Originally it was Railgun SS novel given out to people who bought the Special Editions of the Index Season 1 DVD/BDs. It gets annoying because both the main novels and Railgun manga have direct references to it and it is key to certain events playing out the way they do. e.g. Railgun Volume 9 with Saten.

Well that is what some of the japaneese fans have been saying in some of the other US anime forums. especially when it comes to railgun Vol 9 since people said that in the railgun LN saten and touma didn't met like that. and its as you said.

Also if there is a season 3 for railgun, it will probably feature their side of the daihasei festival arc first then the liberty arts city arc if JC Staff decides to be faithful towards the original materials which is the LN. However for index III, that arc would go first then the WWIII would probably come after. that is if there is a season 3 that is.

and the testament arc is this arc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2