• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Yamato 2199 Film's Blu-ray to Have English Subtitles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Calling the Yamato 2199 movie the "true ending" is misleading. Most people would imply it changes the ending from the series, when it certainly doesn't. The movie spoiler[fits in between episodes 24 and 25 and explains part of the two-month time period between these two episodes].
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Excellent news that the BD will contain sub like the previous releases for the series and compilation movie. Unlike the genius who decided to drop the English sub from the 2nd Jojo series Mad
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:20 pm Reply with quote
This title was so mismanaged over here, maybe it's better to just import from Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
This title was so mismanaged over here, maybe it's better to just import from Japan.

I'd have to agree, there's still no word from Voyager about releasing the final 2 volumes over here in the states right?
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Ovan~the~Rebirth wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

I'd have to agree, there's still no word from Voyager about releasing the final 2 volumes over here in the states right?

Not at this stage, no. Hasn't been any further word since the initial announcement other than some replies to enquiries on starblazers.com.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how domestic Japanese DB English subs compare to Crunchyroll or domestic American disc subs (in terms of what's often more accurate).
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I wonder how domestic Japanese DB English subs compare to Crunchyroll or domestic American disc subs (in terms of what's often more accurate).

With Yamato 2199, the credits of each episode had under "special thanks" to Adam Lensenmayer and Laura Wyrick, both of whom have sizable translation work credited to them across both streaming and home video releases if you look them up in the encyclopedia, so it's fair to assume they had some involvement in the translation for the English subs. If this was done for 2199, I'd hope it was also done for other new productions where English subs have been offered.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Majin Tenshi wrote:
Excellent news that the BD will contain sub like the previous releases for the series and compilation movie. Unlike the genius who decided to drop the English sub from the 2nd Jojo series Mad

I feel your pain. Aniplex Japan did us DOG DAYS fans dirty on season twos discs. I don't mind watching without subtitles but my friends do. New release nights became a thing of the past.

Isn't Voyager an extension of the Japanese production arm behind Yamato?
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:32 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Majin Tenshi wrote:

I feel your pain. Aniplex Japan did us DOG DAYS fans dirty on season twos discs. I don't mind watching without subtitles but my friends do. New release nights became a thing of the past.

Isn't Voyager an extension of the Japanese production arm behind Yamato?

No, it is the company that produced Yamato - the classic series and films, the failed 2520 OVA series, the live-action film, Resurrection, and 2199 alike. They had an American office up until a few years ago, closed up shop and let everyone go, including Star Blazers comic book artist and writer, Tim Eldred, who now owns and runs the ourstarblazers.com fan site. The US release is (or was) being managed completely by Voyager Entertainment of Japan.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:

The same can be said of the licensing of Dog Days" being limited to select Asian countries on Crunchyroll.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1