• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
World Break: Aria of Curse for a Holy Swordsman (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote

World Break: Aria of Curse for a Holy Swordsman (TV)

Genres: action, magic, romance
Themes: harem

Plot Summary: Based on the light novel series Seiken Tsukai no World Break, by Akamitsu Awamura, the story is set at a private school that brings together “Saviors” – students who have awakened memories of their past lives as Shirogane or Kuroma. Shirogane use weapons gleaned with Puraana from their bodies to fight enemies, while Kuroma use magic by manipulating Maana to banish their foes. Moroha Haimura has just enrolled into the private school and is the first Savior in history who has awakened memories of being both a Shirogane and Kuroma. -CR
----------------------------------

Episode 1:
That was pretty generic and the art wasn't well done. spoiler[OST was decent though but I feel like they didn't have to expand the fight that much. On most parts, this is about the guy who goes to an academy involving people with special weapons. I expect to see a variety of them throughout this show.]

On another note, I'll have to get used to spoiler[Satsuki but so far, she is quite annoying imo.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:05 pm Reply with quote
whole lot of blah. not sure if I want to contune. will have to think on it
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Looks pretty groan worthily generic, with super pandering plot, kind of makes me think of if chuuni ideas were real, but I actually found myself enjoying it as it went on.

The idea of having them spoiler[being siblings who were in love in a past life] seems interesting for some reason, I mean it sounds cliché to have spoiler[siblings were lovers in a past life] but this is different. I kind of wonder if it will be a degree off of that. May be just me but I found it that there may be some interesting points off of these at first glance cliché parts. Satsuki actually seems interesting to me in going from spoiler[tsundere to pretty much wanting the relationship to start straight away], her energetic character and insecurities kind of works for me.

Might be over saturation means low expectations, but I am letting my hopes up a bit.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:50 am Reply with quote
Why do I get the feeling there's a ton of these this season? This, Absolute Duo, Unlimited Fafnir, Shinmai Maou no Testament... Am I wrong? I haven't checked all of them out yet.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I am strangely enjoying this, even if it is the standard fantasy harem thing. It appears that he was spoiler[not only a warrior of light in a past life, but a sorcerer of darkness, which probably makes him a mix between the two which the girls are].

And the OP song sounds fantastic, reminds me a lot of something from Rozen Maiden or .hack//Roots. Actually does not seem credited on ANN yet but some Googling says that the theme song composer was Mikiya Katakura who did the theme song composition for those series OPs.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Yeah, the characters really do have eyes pretty wide apart.
I just noticed that... unusual.
The British customer was an interesting guy.
Moroha practice fight was short but sweet.
An input from a past life was interesting.
Dinner party was oh so formal.
Was nice to see them all dressed up.
A surprise fight was pretty good.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

I will repeat that this should be bad, but it is strangely fun, characters should be annoying but they are not. That English guy was actually pretty humorous, and a number of his personality quirks made him likable. Satsuki's annoying ojousama laugh works, Shizuno is becoming likable despite the little emotion and temptation, and Maya's precociousness is also charming.

This episode showed that he was spoiler[also a villain in the past, and it looks like an interesting topic]. He has past lives as a spoiler[warrior and a mage, and based on the end of the episode it looked like he might also have a past as a magical rogue].
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Moroha & Maya roommates.
Well, the other girls certainly didn't like that.
Same poor Shizuno is bound by chains of family.
She's lucky to have a friend like Moroha.
He sacrificed his freedom for her.
Damn, didn't expect her to confess..
It was naive to expect that they would get away without a fight.
Moroha really pulled an ace out of his sleeve this time.]

Great episode.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I am too lazy to go check, so this is technically Moroha's 3rd revival? Or was his past with both girls in the same lifespan.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I think they said it was two separate lives (i.e. one of his past lives had his other past life as a past life.)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

+ 1 point for spoiler[breaking through a window to make a dramatic entrance through the window to act as a hero when denied entry]. They managed to fit a nice little story in there about spoiler[breaking chains], I am reminded of something from Magi with Morgiana.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:30 pm Reply with quote
this anime is not that bad. i actually enjoy it.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I really liked this episode. At this point, the "set-up" is done, and they've established enough of how the setting works that they can move forward with the story. However, we still have enough questions to keep people coming back.

a) How many times can/have people been reincarnated? We know that, other than Haimura, everyone has only been either a white knight (or whatever it's called) or a dark mage. But is that because they've only had one previous life (since we know Haimura has had at least two), or have they just always been one or the other?

b) Going off of the idea that they've had more than just one previous life, and they're always just one or the other, why are they always just one or the other? Obviously, they're "taught" to just draw on their memories, so they just "remember" how to fight one way? Is that why they've always been one or the other? Is Haimura the only one who's ever tried doing the other?

c) Is Haimura "special" in some way, being able to use both, or could anyone do it, with the right training? It seems like, prior to him, no one knew it was possible, so why aren't people clamoring to try to learn now?

d) Speaking of learning, where did the magic come from in the first place? Could someone who has potential, but no past life, come and learn at the school, and then be a Savior in their next life, or is it limited to a single group, in which the world is screwed if they all lose or aren't enough ready at a single time?

e) The Six Heads. Obviously, they must be regional, but even still, neither Africa nor South America are represented. Do Metaphysicals not attack there, or do the others just share the responsibility? Given that these things have been attacking for generations, do those continents even exist anymore?

f) Another with the Six Heads, in this episode we saw that spoiler[Ando feels physical pain when Metaphysicals attack Japan]. Is this a special ability that just spoiler[he] has, or would it happen to any of them? If the latter, are they heads because they have this ability (in which there aren't more Heads because no one else has shown the ability), or do they get the ability when they become a Head (in which, why would someone want it?). If it's the first way, what happens when two people from the same country have the ability? Are they both considered a Head? Or does it manifest when the previous Head dies?

I'm really looking forward to getting further into the mythos of this series as the episodes go on.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Near the end there seemed to be some unfinished scenes which they tried to cover up by just following the ocean, probably had to decide between a clip show and making it as less awkward as possible.

I wonder what the US representative is like, she couldn't possibly be loli with a voice like that, right?
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
So I caught up to this and it actually isn't as bad as it first seemed. It's definitely better than The Testament of Sister New Devil. I weirdly like the opening. It kind of reminds me of Ali Project (Another and Shigofumi openings for example), but fortunately only a little bit. The song is kind of goofy, but in a good way.

I usually don't like the sort of stoic types, but I find myself really liking Shizuno. I wish romance played a bigger part in this show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2