• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tokyo Ghoul √A

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I was actually disappointed with those fight scenes. Especially Amon's & Kaneki's. I mean it was soo bad I could see the frame rates. Whatever budget-grade animation TG had, wasn't clearly shown in this episode. But I do kind of hope they explain what happened to Kaneki in the next episode, and I'm also looking forward to Suzuya's fight.
BGMaxie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I kind disagree with the reviews here. You may criticize because of the lack of character development this time around, but isn't that because the idea of the episode is to be a setup rather than a developing episode?

After all the main focus of the episode is the whole chaos that ensues with all the place going nuts, and the encounters with each character with their opponents. The episode never intended to end things there, it pretended to start them, so criticise it for lack of material, just does not seem wise imo.

Anyway, I gotta say it is interesting how they moved the Kanou's lab battle into Cochlea. It became an anime edit, but one that surprisingly blend well with the canon material. I'm pleased.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
BGMaxie, I highly suggest you put that last bit in spoiler tags. Like, quickly.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:23 am Reply with quote
BGMaxie wrote:

Anyway, I gotta say it is interesting how spoiler[ they moved the Kanou's lab battle into Cochlea. It became an anime edit, but one that surprisingly blend well with the canon material. I'm pleased.]

Fixed-ish.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
yeah the animation budget is pretty shit.
but maybe they're saving it for a final episode fight like kaneki vs spoiler[owl/eto] which we never saw happen or the semi final battle from the book kaneki vs spoiler[Arima]

im glad to see kaneki pulled out his spoiler[Kakuja though it probably half completed if they follow the manga] and now theyll have to change his alias from eypatch to spoiler[centipede]

all kinds of awesome are going to happen... if the animation can keep up
ichii_1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Ep. 4's ending song credits confirm this whole ep. was outsourced to a Korean studio, "DR movie".
The animation was horrible and took away from everything.
Hope they do the centipede and arima fights justice, cause they butchered my man Shachi's fight Crying or Very sad
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Aw, all the posts about last week's really amazing episode are gone now IT'S LIKE IT NEVER EVEN HAPPENED OH NO. Crying or Very sad
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Aw, all the posts about last week's really amazing episode are gone now IT'S LIKE IT NEVER EVEN HAPPENED OH NO. Crying or Very sad

I feel your pain man. Everything is gone now, but we just have to deal with it. Sad

That being said, episode 6 was an interesting episode, but not that good in my opinion. Does anything else think that when it comes to the "practical" animations in Tokyo Ghoul (e.g. Eating, talking, moving, etc.) it's not very good quality? Could be just me, but a lot of times the movements of the characters' lips seem a bit awkward (signs of low budget coming back?). The episode wasn't bad, it just wasn't very good either IMO. I'm waiting for the action to come back to us. Overall, I think this episode is probably a good B.
BWLJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:24 am Reply with quote
So kind of disappointed they didn't include some stuff from Suzuya's backstory. In the manga Big Madam liked to dress him like a porlaline doll, with makeup included, and referred to him as a girl. She even cut off his balls so he would remain more effeminate (which explains the whole girly-voice and appearance).

I kind of expected Owl to tell Kaneki it's backstory this episode like spoiler[it's dad] did in the manga, but I guess that's going to happen next episode. It should happen next episode, because right now is the right time for Kaneki to learn that bit of plot for. . . uhm story related reasons.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:57 am Reply with quote
BWLJ wrote:
So kind of disappointed they didn't include some stuff from Suzuya's backstory. She even cut off his balls so he would remain more effeminate (which explains the whole girly-voice and appearance).

Perhaps I'm wrong, but didn't the anime suggest that with a certain scene where the madame ghoul approaches Suzuya with a plier-like appliance in hand? Between this shot and Suzuya's voice being effeminate past puberty, I thought the show implied his castration. I haven't read the manga though, so perhaps things were more obvious there.

As for this review, I found it identified a plot point I completely missed. In this episode we see two (IIRC) scenes where Kaneki is screaming and thrashing about in pain; I saw this and thought it had something to do with the after effects of Jason's torture, or the evolving kagune. However, I hadn't even considered the fact that this could be a "ghoul uterus" issue; upon reflection it makes sense. However, what does this imply? Is the show merely reminding us that, yes, Kaneki has Rize's organs, right down to her reproductive system? Or is this actually going to be referenced later on/potentially influence the plot? I'm probably dwelling on this too much, but the fact that we focus on this not once, but twice, makes me think there may be some significance to the idea.

In any case, informative and entertaining review as always, and I'm really appreciative that I can read Ms. Chapman's thoughts on this show as it airs weekly. I missed the boat on that one last season, and have to admit the whole thing is more enjoyable when you can ruminate and reflect on a weekly basis. Excited to see where this one goes!
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:00 am Reply with quote
roseversailles wrote:
BWLJ wrote:
So kind of disappointed they didn't include some stuff from Suzuya's backstory. She even cut off his balls so he would remain more effeminate (which explains the whole girly-voice and appearance).

Perhaps I'm wrong, but didn't the anime suggest that with a certain scene where the madame ghoul approaches Suzuya with a plier-like appliance in hand? Between this shot and Suzuya's voice being effeminate past puberty, I thought the show implied his castration. I haven't read the manga though, so perhaps things were more obvious there.

Yeah, I thought they were tastefully implying castration without giving us the full monty. Which is fine, I thought they were efficient with conveying his backstory without it being confusing or not working. I understand the character and feel bad for him in pretty much the exact same way as Jason, and I'm pretty sure that was the intent. I'm glad they weren't super-explicit about him being a eunuch or getting put in dresses or whatever. The episode didn't need it to work well.

roseversailles wrote:

As for this review, I found it identified a plot point I completely missed. In this episode we see two (IIRC) scenes where Kaneki is screaming and thrashing about in pain; I saw this and thought it had something to do with the after effects of Jason's torture, or the evolving kagune. However, I hadn't even considered the fact that this could be a "ghoul uterus" issue; upon reflection it makes sense. However, what does this imply? Is the show merely reminding us that, yes, Kaneki has Rize's organs, right down to her reproductive system?

Oh no, I was literally only making a stupid joke. Laughing He looked like he was having period cramps on the couch, that's all there is to it. I don't think he has ovaries or anything like that, he just has a crazy hybrid kagune-kakuja-thing inside him because he's eaten waaaaay too many ghouls without it killing him somehow, so he has no choice but to evolve, and I think that's all that's really going on.

EDIT: Although if he did have Rize's reproductive organs, like...would he just bleed out of his johnson once a month?! Shocked These are the questions...the deeply uncomfortable questions. Anime dazed
roseversailles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:30 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

Yeah, I thought they were tastefully implying castration without giving us the full monty. Which is fine, I thought they were efficient with conveying his backstory without it being confusing or not working. I understand the character and feel bad for him in pretty much the exact same way as Jason, and I'm pretty sure that was the intent. I'm glad they weren't super-explicit about him being a eunuch or getting put in dresses or whatever. The episode didn't need it to work well.

I'm also glad they didn't linger too much on that, either by drawing it out too long or being explicit. Don't they say the most effective horror is the kind that merely suggests and lets your mind do the work? I thought this episode did a very good job at making him sympathetic; he was a character I found weirdly entertaining but somewhat bizarre for the sake of being bizarre, so having this episode explain what led to his current psychological state was pretty important.

JesuOtaku wrote:

Oh no, I was literally only making a stupid joke. Laughing He looked like he was having period cramps on the couch, that's all there is to it. I don't think he has ovaries or anything like that, he just has a crazy hybrid kagune-kakuja-thing inside him because he's eaten waaaaay too many ghouls without it killing him somehow, so he has no choice but to evolve, and I think that's all that's really going on.

EDIT: Although if he did have Rize's reproductive organs, like...would he just bleed out of his johnson once a month?! Shocked These are the questions...the deeply uncomfortable questions. Anime dazed

Leave it to me to miss a joke! Phew, I was worried that I might be losing it Very Happy Believe it or not, there are quite a few fanfics centered around poor Kaneki's new organs and just what that means, so a small part of me was amazed and slightly terrified at the possibility of fanfic writers actually predicting something! Glad to hear that scene was kagune related, though the uncomfortable questions remain. I can't remember if the first episode ever clarifies just what organs were transplanted... I guess it's all speculation at this point, but either way, we can agree: POOR KANEKI!
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Aw, what a pity we miss all those posts Sad

Well, I kind of liked this calmed down episode, there are still like tens and tens of characters that I don't know how are they going to manage in only 6 episodes, but for the few they focused (Amon, Akira and Suzuya) it felt natural. I don't know how 'necessary' was to make Suzuya also a victim of this constant war (or struggle involving this violence) to justify his attitude, I feel like we need a few pure mean humans to balance both sides of humans and ghouls and even he is not in this group (although I know ghouls aren't mean per se, they are only eating to survive), but well, it was neat to see, although I don't know what else they will do with him, his backstory looked also like a way of making us feel what he thinks of Shinohara and viceversa but because he's alive from the previous ep that doesn't seem to be a plot theme for him so far, we'll see.
BWLJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:57 pm Reply with quote
It looks when they said this was going to diverge from the manga they really meant "everyone is still going to do what they did before, and they'll end up in the same place." This feels a like a video game alternative story path. Sure a couple things happen out of order, and it's not exactly like the other path. It's changed a bit, but only very slightly.

I think maybe letting Ishida write the script was a mistake. Maybe he did intend to make it different, but because he created the source material he still end up making it the same. Maybe It would've worked better to maybe get him as a consultant on how the character should behave, or maybe let him edit for the final draft.

I know, I know, I'm being a negative Nancy. This was a very well made episode, and I'm sure it was great for the people who haven't read the manga. It's just that it's hard not to feel disappointed when you are expecting something, and you get something else. It's hard not to feel disappointed when we were told this would be a different story from the manga, but it's still pretty much exactly the same.

Like in this episode when Kaneki went back and had that talk with the manager (we'll see it next episode). In the manga the manager told Kaneki certain parts of his past, and reveled important plot points. Because of the last episode that Kaneki was going to get it from a certain someone else. That we were going to get the story from that someone's point of view. I was really excited for that, but nope, still exactly the same as it happened in the manga.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
^ I'd have to agree actually. Kinda disappointing. Still a great story and cast, but I'm still sort of left down. Of course, there are still several episodes left, but I doubt things will change too much. It'll still probably end with the fight between Kaneki and spoiler[Arima.] Although since we've only had one scene with the latter (and it was a pretty minor scene too) with no indication as to why he's so feared, his herculean strength is just gonna look like an asspull. Shame. Confused

It also seems Tsukiyama is just gonna remain a gross freak too, unlike in the manga. Granted, his development was pretty damn minor compared to Kaneki, Touka, Amon, Juzo, etc., as it mainly had to do with how he views Kaneki and not much else, but still, at least there was something there.

Sorta off-topic, but speaking of Tsukiyama, I can't wait for when the sequel gets adapted so we get to see Tsukiyama's "friend". Re only has 14 chapters and Chie is already one of my favorites. Very Happy

EDIT: Also, I just noticed that the ED for this episode had Re!Hinami in it. Pretty sad. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8