• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rightstuf/Nozomi Ent. Licensing Survey

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Rightstuf posted a link to a licensing survey. They wanna hear what title(s?) you'd like to see from them. Here's the link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WW8M5HZ
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Considering that Nozomi is much more likely to go after one cour shows (though they can have multiple seasons) that have been released for awhile, I consulted my most-wanted-licenses list and put down these three:

Minami-ke (by far my most wanted license)
Futakoi Alternative
Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:03 am Reply with quote
I found myself thinking mostly of old series that have been out of print (I had a bunch of old CPM titles on my mind for some dumb reason), but I did list one recent series that I would be happy to own: Kyōsōgiga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:24 am Reply with quote
^I totally just asked for Kyousougiga as well. Along with Chihayafuru and Dennou Coil. Might as well keep the hope alive, no matter how small.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:40 am Reply with quote
I just imported both seasons of Chihayafuru along with Dennou Coil with the recent Siren Visual sale, otherwise they would have definitely been in my list as well.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:48 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I found myself thinking mostly of old series that have been out of print (I had a bunch of old CPM titles on my mind for some dumb reason), but I did list one recent series that I would be happy to own: Kyōsōgiga.

Yeah, that's a good one, but I found myself mostly thinking older series that I wouldn't mind having on dvd since blu-ray isn't really Nozomi's thing. My most wanted are Bartender, Robot Carnival, Hashire Melos! (the 1992 film version that Satoshi Kon and Hiroyuki Okiura worked on).
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:57 am Reply with quote
I think it would be cool if they got Bakuman. Rumors that there is already a dub done for it also so yeah. Id be up for that
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:04 am Reply with quote
I've owned Dennou Coil and the first season of Chihayafuru from Siren Visual for a while now (Dennou Coil was my first purchase from them), and I just got the 2nd season of Chihayafuru. That doesn't mean I still don't want an R1 release. Being able to watch Siren Visual's releases is largely dependent upon my region-free bluray player (that I bought online for about $125), and that's going to go bad someday. It's more expensive, time-consuming, and a pain-in-the-butt to get a hold of means to watch shows from other regions, while I have an excess of options for region 1/A. My most recent laptop won't let me bypass the restrictions using the VLC media player - some sort of hardware/software change was made to make that shortcut unusable. What if more and more computers start making those changes in the future? I could just change the region code of the bluray player on my laptop, but I'm only limited to doing that 3 times and I'd still like the option to play my region 1/A DVDs/blurays on it. There is no easy way to show the show to my friends without them coming to visit me, me bringing along the region-free bluray player, or resorting to fansubs (which I'd rather not do if possible).

While I'm definitely glad for the opportunity to own an English release series that doesn't mean that I don't want a region 1/A release.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:42 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
I've owned Dennou Coil and the first season of Chihayafuru from Siren Visual for a while now (Dennou Coil was my first purchase from them), and I just got the 2nd season of Chihayafuru. That doesn't mean I still don't want an R1 release.

So true. I considered taking advantage of the recent Siren sale, but I just have no idea how I'd use them. Obviously if it's the only option, then so be it, but I think a lot of people would just as well avoid the headache. Man, a lot of stuff I'd want licensed. Gotta think what would be most in Rightstuf's wheelhouse. They've licensed quite a few older, long-running series. Have they ever released a movie or just an OVA by itself?
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:21 am Reply with quote
The one that I really really want to get licensed is Wandering Son so I suggested that one. As I usually do whenever there's a survey.
Also suggested Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei, Polar Bear's Café, Tamayura and Hanayamata.

They're all long shots, but who knows. I'll definitely keep my fingers crossed.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:44 am Reply with quote
I also own Dennou Coil and Chihayafuru from Siren Visual. It would be nice to get them as an R1 release but they are no longer a priority. I'd rather have stuff not released in English at all.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:03 am Reply with quote
I submitted the following:

Koi Kaze- Wouldn't be the first time that Nozomi license rescued a title as they've snagged up old Geneon, Central Park Media and ADV titles. Considering the amount of praise this series received years ago in spite of its rather controversial subject material, I believe this baby's long due for a re-release.

Dennou Coil- As discussed by others before me, this baby's been long due for an American release.

Victory Gundam- Considering it seems Sunrise and Rightstuf are now in a working relationship to release installments of the Gundam franchise, I'd say Victory is also worth getting snagged up as it is one of the better installments of the Gundam franchise that was never snagged up for an American release when Bandai was still around.

Skip Beat- They've licensed shoujo romance titles before and this one is one of the more popular unlicensed offerings I've come across.

Aoi Bungaku Series
- This one's a long shot given its rather niche appeal from the Japanese stories it adapts. But the cinematography and animation for the anthology are among the best I've seen for a TV anime and it's a crying shame that the series has not been snagged up by any American licensor given how much praise many of Madhouse's titles receive.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:37 am Reply with quote
Moyashimon is #1 on a wish list of stuff that I think they might pick up.

Has anyone announced a (current) license for Nichijou, yet? Absolutely criminal that that hasn't had a release.

I'd love a Kamichu rescue as well.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Has anyone announced a (current) license for Nichijou, yet? Absolutely criminal that that hasn't had a release.

Don't believe so. Bandai originally licensed the series for home video release before they folded years ago and never released it.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Madman has released Nichijou DVD sets, but that's a series that honestly needs a BluRay release given how much of its content is based around its artistry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2